Need recipe for cold spaghetti salad.

Does anyone have a good recipe for that summertime favorite -- cold spaghetti salad?

Also, looking for ideas to replace the American favorites like potato/macaroni salad, three bean salad (although I've got a great family recipe for this and for Copper Pennies (cold carrots).

I love summertime foods and bar-b-que cooking and looking for different things to try.

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-07-05 AT 08:47AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Fair enough. The cold pasta salad is easy. You can't go wrong experimenting with adding other things.

-Pasta.
    -Chopped olives (black and green).
    -Minced garlic.
    -Chopped green onion.
    -Italian dresssing.
    -Mix.
    -Sprinkle grated locatelli cheese to taste.

You can substitute an olive oil and balsamic vinegar vinaigrette for the bottled dressing or also use Newman's Own Balsamic stuff.

As far as replacements for the American classics, try their Amish versions.

Gene
  • Gene, that sounds delicious. I remember my Mom making a cold salad with spaghetti noodles. I think she used Italian dressing and all the ingredients you listed. I seem to remember someimes she added corn and/or peas. I think she also added sundried tomatoes. I will ask her if she still has the recipe and follow up.
  • Yes, you're right. I've known people to add different stuff to it from peas to cucumbers and celery. You can actually add cubed grilled chicken and make it a meal in and of itself.

In my opinion, you should serve it at room temperature. Many people serve it right out of the fridge and I think this hides a lot of the flavors.

Gene
  • Put some left over spagetti on top of some lettuce. Add avocado.
  • There's a great seasoning - Salad Supreme or something like that - in the spice aisle. I cook spaghetti, chop up whatever veggies sound good (broccoli, tomato, and green pepper are MUST haves), and I think it's a tablespoon of this spice plus italian dressing. I agree with Gene - room temp is better than cold.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-08-05 AT 10:36AM (CST)[/font][br][br]This is a great recipe:

1 lb. vermicelli
    cook and rinse
    1/2 red onion chopped fine (I usually use the whole thing but I really love red onion)
    8 oz bottle Spicy Italian dressing
    1/2 bottle Salad Supreme (it is in the seaonings aisle)
    Pepper to taste (you really don't need salt...I think there's quite a bit in the Salad Supreme)

Mix and chill overnight.

The next day, add some cut up tomatoes and avacodos. It is easier to mix and more flavorful if it's not straight out of the fridge.
  • I like the above ideas (especially to add avocado) but I think most pastas respond well to Italian Salad Dressing or my favorite Basil Pesto Dressing. I cut up cucumbers and tomatoes real small and, if my husband isn't eating it, some black olives and onions too.

• These all sound great! I'm going to try one of the variations this weekend. Gene, since I live in Lancaster County, all of my American favorites are the Amish version. My sister's mother-in-law makes a great macaroni salad that has green pepper and tomato bits in it and is more of a mayo base than the mustard base. If anyone wants the Copper Pennies recipe, let me know. It's cold carrots in a sweet and sour brine type of thing. Best when left in fridge for several days before eating.
  • I used to live in Lancaster County too. That's where I picked-up my fondness for Amish foods. The only thing I still cannot stomach is chow chow.

One of the funniest things (well, her mother would disagree) that my daughter has ever done was when her grandparents gave her chow chow when she was about 4. They asked her what it tasted like and her response was "dog s***". She has never repeated the phrase since. To this day we have no idea where it came from.

Gene
  • I've been sheltered enough that I've never laid eyes on an Amish person. What is chow chow? I mean, I have a good understanding of what it tastes like now, but I just don't know what it is. . .
  • Chow Chow is a cold relish salad that includes raw cauliflower, carrots, some corn, maybe some broccoli, some other stuff......

Personally, I don't like it either and haven't eaten it since I was about.....hmmmm....little older than 4, and thought it was, well....not good. x0:)
  • Yes, chow chow reminds me of something you would add to a compost heap! It originates from the fall canning season when the Amish women would have tiny portions left over of the many vegetables they canned. Well, it did not go to waste. Everything got mixed together and chow chow was born. In Intercourse, PA you can find some with watermelon in it. Again, I would only use it in a compost heap or as a first aid concoction to induce vomiting if you accidentally ingest poison.
  • Did you try mine? Mine was actually a joke, but I am glad that you think that it would be wonderful. My weird sense of humor was a bit too subtle this time apparently.