Needing Tiramisu recipe

Anyone have a truly rich and wonderful recipe for Tiramisu using real chocolate, marsala and marscapone cheese? I keep finding "light" recipes, and they just won't do.

Comments

• 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-27-05 AT 09:57AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Here is Mario Batali's recipe for tiramisu:

Mario Batali is one of the stars of the Food TV Network. The Tiramisu can be served at room temperature. Tiramisu was served chilled in the 1980s.

Ingredients

STRONG ESPRESSO, 4 ounces (or substitute 2 teaspoons instant coffee in 1/2 cup water)
    ITALIAN BRANDY, 2 ounces
    EGG YOLKS, 4
    SUGAR, 2 tablespoons
    EGG WHITES, 2
    MASCARPONE CHEESE, 2 cups (may substitute ricotta or cream cheese)
    SAVOIARDI, 30 small, or 15 broken in half (you can use lady fingers)
    BITTERSWEET CHOCOLATE, 3 ounces, broken into 1/4-inch pieces
    MILK CHOCOLATE, 3 ounces, shaved or grated
    WINE GOBLETS, 6 large
    Directions
    Mix coffee and brandy together and set aside.
    Over a double boiler, beat egg yolks and sugar until mixture lightens in color and forms ribbons (i.e. halfway to zabaglione). Allow to cool 5 minutes.
    Meanwhile, beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
    Fold mascarpone into egg yolk mixture one quarter at a time.
    Fold mascarpone mixture into egg whites and set aside.
    Lay savoiardi along edges of wine goblets all the way to the bottom, lining the entire glass (while keeping 6 savoiardi for later use).
    Using a pastry brush, and paint the cookies with the espresso/brandy mixture.
    Fill each goblet one-third full with mascarpone mixture and sprinkle with broken chocolate.
    Lay one savoiardi across center and paint with coffee mixture.
    Fill each goblet with remaining mascarpone mixture, topping each with shaved chocolate.
    Lay one savoiardi in each goblet and paint with espresso mixture.

• Other than BAM, BAM, BAM! I would only add that to make this really authentic you must use Amedei chocolate.
  • That's actually the same as Hershey Bars. Don't be fooled. (do you think Pork has this recipe?)
  • Well, I doubt eL pUeRcO gets into Tiramisu. I think he's more of a bannana pudding and 'nilla wafers type of guy.

If he does indeed have this recipe, it is currently folded in half and being used as a bookmarker in his "DOG eaRED trUSTy BIBLE you may kNOW IT as the I-9 "HANDBOOK FOR EMPLOYERS""

Gene
  • I'll borrow from Parabeagle's idea in another thread. I've never done this, BTW, but in a pinch, I would.

Get into your car, drive to the nearest Olive Garden, purchase sufficient servings of Tiramisu for your guests, drive home, put onto individual dessert dishes in the kitchen (where no one can see you ditch the OG bag) and then, at the appropriate time, serve the dessert. When they tell you they must have the recipe, just nod and smile.
  • Oh yeah! Now that's music to my ears! The chocolate lasagna at OG is to die for!!!!!! My wife and I have been known to go there just for dessert!
  • Oh, I should have you talk to my husband...he likes my baking too much and it doesn't occure to him that I might like to be treated once in awhile...sigh.
  • There is a place very near where I live that makes this for the OG. You can get their "misbakes" for very cheap for a sheet cake size chocolate lasagna. Needless to say, I am glad they are only open during weekdays at their outlet store so I don't have a chance to partake often. E Wart