Do not EVER make this recipe!

I got this recipe off another site and thought it sounded good so I went out and paid good money for the ingredients. I figured someone else might come across this recipe and wanted to warn you all- IT IS NASTY!

Quick Coffee Cake

Bake at 400 degrees

2 cans biscuits
3T sugar
1/4C fresh lemon juice and some zest
1/2C sugar w/1 tsp cinnamon mixed in it

Mix lemon juice with 3T sugar and stir til sugar is dissolved. Dip the biscuits in this and place, standing on their edges, in a greased tube or bundt pan. (they puff when baking and fill up the pan all the way around) Sprinkle the 1/2C sugar and cinnamon all over the biscuits after they are in the pan.

Glaze

Cream 1-8oz pkg cream cheese with 1/4C lemon juice (with zest). Drizzle on still warm cake after you remove it from the pan.

OKAY, sounds pretty good, right? Well, it is soooo sour and the lemon juice must curdle the cream cheese because it just is so lumpy and since it has no sugar in it you won't believe how terrible it is! As long as you try to eat the biscuits immediately while they are hot and burn your mouth, it isn't too bad (if you also scrape off the glaze). Once this stuff all cools off, it is just unimaginable!

Go ahead, some of you, try this and see what you think! haha I think it is just terrible!

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Isn't it easier to buy a coffee cake at the bakery section of your local food store??
  • Yep, but I was in a domestic mood and wanted to impress my husband (and after 42 yrs of marriage that ain't easy any more!). Even our dogs didn't want any of it!
  • First of all, Toocher, thanks for the warning. Second, was your hubby duly impressed?
  • Impressed wouldn't be the word for it! I think he went into the bathroom and gagged himself (or maybe it was that sour cream cheese talking back to him_. The dogs definitely were not impressed, by the way. I am going to be a little leery of trying out new stuff from now on. You'd think I'd be old enough to have learned! haha
  • Somebody dropped a couple of big whole numbers out of the sugar requirement. You call for a full 1/2 cup oflemon juice, and only 1/2 c plus 3T of sugar. Gads! G0ot to be 5 or 6 lemons in that much juice - course it was sour. Have your lips uncurled themselves from you ears yet?
  • I bought those great big lemons and it only took 3 to get 1/2 cup of juice. But you are right, waaaaaay not enough sugar to counteract all that juice. But I really don't even think more sugar would have helped, it was really gross when it cooled off.
  • I don't trust any recipe with soap in it.
  • I've had something similar and it wasn't sour. I remember it was something called 'pull cake' with biscuits molded together with a sweet glaze and it was really good. You probably used Camay instead of Zest.
  • Nope, I think it was Lifebuoy! haha
  • This reminds me of a situation with my wife. Prior to getting mariied, my church threw us a pantry shower. Now I had never heard of this, but instead of getting twelve toasters, people got us canned goods/cleaning supplies etc. It is a great idea because the first time you go to the store and have to buy EVERYTHING, it is expensive. As a young couple (22 years of age) Just starting our careers, we did not have a lot of extra cash sitting around, so we were very appreciative. One of the members gave us several cans of vegetables, and a can of salmon. I was excited because my mother would use canned salmon to make salmon cakes.

My wife had just finished college and was looking for work right after the wedding. So, when I came home every night, she had dinner ready and waiting for me (those were the days)! One morning, she asked what I wanted for dinner, I responded that I would like to use the salmon - of course, I meant salmon cakes. My wife, not well versed in cooking salmon, was not aware of this delicacy. So, she began looking through cookbooks, finally settling on a recipe for salmon and angel hair pasta in a lemon sauce. Only a few MINOR problems, we did not have any lemon juice. So, she used lime juice. The next problem, she did not think it had enough bite, so she kept adding lime juice (I never found out how much, but she said she used "a lot."). When I came home, she had the slamon and pasta in bowls, with a nice summer salad. There were candles burning, fresh cut flowers from the small garden in the backyard, and some relaxing music playing. I sat down to dinner, making small talk. I took one bite of the pasta and...I think I turned as green as the lime. I quickly swallowed, followed by a large gulp of sweet tea. Ashamedly, I looked at her and said "I'm sorry, but I can't eat anymore of this." She became upset, ran to our bedroom, and locked the door. It took two hours for me to get her to come out.

Ten years later and we now get a good laugh out of the situation. She still refuses to cook with canned salmon, but that's fine with me. I now grill salmon steaks on the grill with a great honey mustard marinade, or cajun style. BTW, she is a great cook, just not with some certain foods!
  • What a great story! People in the office next to mine popped their heads in to find out what in the heck I was snorting about (trying to stifle a laugh, it came out a snort - hope they don't think I'm doing cocaine or something in here).

Thanks for the much-needed laugh!
  • Beagles doing what they do best, sniffing.
  • Reminds me of the time my brother, about 10, decided to bake chocolate-chocolate chip cookies for Boy Scouts.

We didn't have any baking powder, so he substituted an equal amount of baking soda. Once baked, the cookies were hard as a rock and looked like runny dog poop. (we need a green-faced emoticon...)
  • HRQ: You have revealed now in multiple locations that nobody in your family would be chosen to be on an island with me if a cook was needed. But, good luck. I hope a Wendy's is down the street.
  • My tried-and-true recipes do just fine. It's when I feel the need to experiment that we have trouble...

(The angel food cake, BBQ chicken, and steak & eggs were all "experiments" of my youth as I was learning to cook. And the Easy Bake Oven cakes really did taste good, they just weren't intended for consumption by stuffed polar bears, according to my mom.) x:D
  • That's a precious story. My husband will never forget when we first married, I wanted to make stuffed bell peppers (I had never done it before but loved eating my mother's and figured it wouldn't be hard to do since I was imaginative and knew what the ingredients were - hamburger meat, bell peppers, tomato sauce, rice, onions, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper). Well, I did really good except I didn't pre-cook the Uncle Ben's rice and it never got soft - my husband thought I had put nuts in it! I learned my lesson and now make some of the best stuffed peppers around!
  • Ha! Great story!
    I remember the pecan pie my wife made years ago with the waxed paper still inside the pie shell. Sorta hard to negotiate that pie with a normal fork. That's puh-cahn, not pee-can. x:-)
  • LOL...thanks everyone for making me feel so much better for leaving the cardboard under the refrigerator pizza dough when I put it in the oven.

Cheryl C.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-07-05 AT 07:46AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Twochr, any chance you'd share the recipe? I love stuffed peppers but mine are never really any good. Of course, it could be my culinary skills and not the recipies I try! x:-8