Best comfort food?

The thread about mac and cheese made me wonder what all the Forumites consider to be their favorite comfort foods. Care to share any recipes? To this day, one of my favorite comfort foods is Top Ramen, which takes me back to college when I didn't have alot of money for food.

Comments

• 34 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • When I have a cold - home made chicken noodle soup (my sister still uses my Grandmother's recipe).
    Any other time-chocolate, chocolate, chocolate.
  • Is that those dry noodles in a cardboard cup that, when you add hot water and eat them, you bloat up like Kirstie Ally?
  • Nah, they come in little hard squares that can be used as a doorstop and also have an insulating R factor of 348. When you boil them for three minutes, they plump up and you add parmesan cheese (or at least I do).
  • Try adding 2 raw and scambled eggs to the soup along with the parmesan cheese.
  • The craze at my daughter's school is to eat the Top Ramen dry and sprinkle the seasoning on the noodles.
  • On a cold, rainy day when gloom is all around homemade beef stew hits the spot.
    Or on a lazy Sunday grilled cheese sandwiches.
  • "On a cold, rainy day when gloom is all around homemade beef stew hits the spot."

(See: Don's guaranteed vegetable soup, posted elsewhere on this board)

• Hard for me to name just one. When I was little and it was snowing outside, Mom always made either chili, chicken and dumplings, or tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches. The last is still one of my favorites.

I always love hot poeach cobbler as well. Instead of cake on my birthday, I beg ny wife to make me a peach cobbler. Reminds me of grandma!
  • Anyone know the best way to freeze a grilled cheese sandwich? I often have tomato soup for lunch at my desk (I work too hard to leave for a proper lunch x;-)), but would like to be able to nuke a grilled cheese to go with it.
  • The only way I know to freeze something is to put it in the freezer. x;-)

Mine is Cincinnati chili. My mom would send me back to college with pounds of it after a break.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-13-05 AT 11:55PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Beagle, here's my suggestion: The night before you want to have tomato soup with a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch, make the grilled cheese sandwich the regular way and eat it immediately. Then, the next day at lunchtime, eat the tomato soup with a side order of Cheetos and think fondly about the previous night's grilled cheese sandwich.
  • Fake Grilled Cheese

Toast two slices of bread. Place a slice of amercian cheese between, smoosh, and enjoy.

It isn't the real thing, but as long as you have access to a toaster, it's better than nothing. I had these sandwiches at our across the street neighbors from age 5 on up, on break from playing Barbies.

I have also heard they make a frozen, crustless grilled cheese. Not sure what the cooking instructions are, and I'm sure they cost an arm and a leg. There is also a PB&J variety, I believe.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-14-05 AT 09:46AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I did stumble across the frozen grilled cheese sandwiches at the grocery a few weeks back and bought some. Very, very, VERY nasty! The PBJ's are all right, though. Better than the PBJ I bought on Delta Airlines a few weeks ago for $5.50!
  • Why don't you just take one of those industrial grade MRE's with you.x;-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-14-05 AT 10:49AM (CST)[/font][br][br]'cause I generally try to be careful not to put toxic substances in my body. x;-)

edit: And I guess I'm just naturally suspicious of any "meal" that comes packaged complete with its own laxative.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-14-05 AT 08:31AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Mashed potatoes...oh my that's a comfort food. Not those faux potatoes from a box but real peeled and quartered, boiled and mashed with a stick of butter and lots of whole milk and whipped to perfection. We have potatoes like this alot...I need lots of comfort. The next best thing is Potato Soup...on a cold winter day. I also love apple dumplings with warm milk....yummmmmmmmy. Stick to your ribs food.

If all else fails...ICE CREAM.
  • Pork skins with hot sauce, lime juice and salt. A big jar of olives and very thinly sliced genoa salami served at room temperature.

No, I'm not pregnant (my wife always asks when she sees me eating this).

Gene
  • How can you possibly manage to eat that without an ice cold beer?
  • Wanna see me turn into Hanibal Lecter? Gene and alcohol don't mix. I susbstitute very sweet iced tea or lemonade/limeade made with real fruit (not the juice concentrate).
  • Every few months I need a Krystal fix (White Castle would probably suffice in other parts of the country). Pick up a dozen on sale for about $6. Eat three or four and freeze the rest at work. Nuc a couple of them for about 25 seconds and you have a great, quick snack.
  • A slaw-burger with chili and a chocolate shake.

Four fried chicken wings and 3 beers on a tailgate.

Rocky road ice-cream with three extra crunched Oreos (after everybody else has gone to bed)

These are for three separate occasions. I don't know if it's comfort food or stress relief or just another symptom of OCD.
  • Don't know if this counts as food............. but hot oatmeal, chocolate chip, or peanut butter cookies from the oven does the trick for me. Come to think of it - I'll eat most of the above raw, right from the mixing bowl.....
  • Scrambled eggs are my favorite comfort food any time of the day or night.

Sometimes mac n cheese (nothing fancy) works, and sometimes just a peanut butter (NO jelly) sandwich and a glass of milk. Actually a glass of milk with each of these makes them most comfortable.
  • Homemade ice cream is my comfort food. It takes me back to growing up when that was the only time we got ice cream.
  • Great thread. I just plain like to eat but as I get older I find that I can't comfort myself as much as I used to due to the shear pain of working it off.

Soup of most any kind is most comforting to me. I love tomatoe soup on a rainy day. Creamy soups in the winter and clear soups in the summer. Crackers are optional.

Cheryl C.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-29-05 AT 08:30AM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-29-05 AT 08:27 AM (CST)[/font]

Peanut butter and cheese sandwich. Works best on white bread. Here's the kicker: adhere the cheese to one slice of the bread with Miracle Whip(R). Gives the sandwich a bit of a bite, and keeps it from all glomming *edit (meant "cleaving to")* the roof of your mouth.

-Abby
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-29-05 AT 07:11AM (CST)[/font][br][br]'glomming'?
  • Until I looked it up on dictionary.com, I thought it was a Midwestern slang term made up from "glue" and "mash."

From dictionary.com:
    glom Slang [Probably from Scots glam, to snatch at.]
    v. glommed, glom·ming, gloms
    v. tr.: To steal. To seize; grab. To look or stare at.

v. intr.: To seize upon or latch onto something: “The country has glommed onto the spectacle of a wizard showman turning the tables on his inquisitors” (Mary McGrory).

n. A glimpse; a look.

So I'm guessing I learned it with reference to the secondary definition - to seize upon. For example, peanut butter, cheese and white bread will seize up your whole mouth without some kind of thinner or lubricant like mayo. x:9 However, with your question, I discovered that I've been inappropriately using the word glom.

x;-) -Abby
  • I have always used the word "glom" the way you do, as in "that new employee just gloms on to everyone, and they want her to lay off".

I thought "glom" basically meant to stick annoyingly and not let go. "To seize" isn't that far off.
  • I make smothered steak! That on top of rice just sends me into heaven. It reminds me of when I was a little girl - my mother and my grandmother both used to make it. Very easy recipe!

Large piece of beef round steak (however much you want!)
    Salt and pepper the meat, cut into serving size pieces (again, however big you want). Dredge in flour (make sure you get lots of flour on it)and then place in a heavy skillet in which you have preheated about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of hot oil. Cook uncovered until meat is brown and crispy on both sides.

Add enough water to completely cover the meat, add one whole chopped up onion, some salt and pepper, cover and cook on low heat about an hour or until the water has cooked down into the most wonderful gravy you have ever tasted. (stir every once in a while to get the goodies that stick to the bottom of the skillet) Check to see if you need more salt. Serve with white rice.

This comforts me like no other meal!