Diabetic recipes?

I'm on the hunt for the best diabetic-friendly recipes out there. My dad was just diagnosed with Type-2, so Mom & I are working on a new cookbook for the family. I've found some great websites out there, but wondered if any of my fellow Forumites had any favorites or any experience with this. Anyone?

Comments

• 8 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yahoo -

I'm sorry it took me so long to think of this, but I subscribe to a recipe magazine called Light & Tasty ([url]www.lightandtasty.com[/url]) which is also available in many grocery store check out lanes. They have nutrition information in most if not all recipes, and I think it comes out every two months or so. This company puts out several magazines including several cooking magazines and this one isn't my favorite, but I am lucky enough to not have to cook to dietary restrictions.

How is your dad doing?
  • In regard to HRCalico's post from several years ago, a marketing person for the recipe magazine today let us know that the name has changed from "Light & Tasty" to "Healthy Cooking." tk

• Yahoo,

My mom is diabetic. She has been able to control her diabetes strictly through diet. The American Diabetes Foundation publishes several cookbooks. They're available at major booksellers.

Also, she tells me that the south beach diet recipe books are diabetic friendly.

Good luck.

Gene
  • Many of the "low carb" recipies are also diabetic friendly. The low carb craze has been great for my father in law. He's been able to find things like pasta in regular stores!
  • Are you still looking for recipes? I've been type 1 for 15 years, my sister for over 40, my other sister for 20 some, and my dad for 10 some...I have lots of recipes and have adapted quite a few regular recipes rather well. A simple one that's rather easy and a great "sweet" snack...Get philo dough shells (the little ones), most grocery stores carry them. Fill them with a bottom layer of sugar-free jam or jelly, top with fresh fruit, then sugar-free vanilla yogurt. I use a berry jelly, then whatevery fruit strikes me, strawberries, blueberries, mangos, apples, pears.
    Anyway, let me know if you're still looking for recipes, I have a bunch. Hope your dad is adjusting well.
  • I'd love to have your diabetic recipes if you would share with me. Thanks. [email]carole.owen@bgfh.com[/email]
  • I never received your recipes and wondered if you could resend them.
    I would so appreciate that. [email]carole.owen@bgfh.com[/email]
  • I'd love to get your recipes also. My husband has recently been diagnosed with Type 2 and so far is controlling it by diet. My email is [email]slong@gswsa.com[/email].
    Thanks!
    Sue