Key Lime Pie

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-07-04 AT 09:33AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'll give credit for this to 'GourmetSleuth'.

Quote: "This is "real" Key Lime Pie. Real Key Lime Pie is not green and it does not have a soft pudding texture. The pie gets its true pale yellow color from the egg yolks that predominate the ingredient list. And the texture is a 'firm custard'. Be careful that you don't over-bake the pie or it will be 'rubbery'. For the best results use fresh key limes, not bottled juice. The traditional preparation does not put any meringue on the top of the pie. This is a very simple recipe and only takes a few minutes to prepare and 12 minutes to bake."

Crust:
16 graham crackers, crushed
3 tablespoons sugar
1 cube (1/4 lb) margarine or butter

Directions (crust)
Mix the ingredients and press them into a 9 inch pie plate. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned. Place on a rack to cool.

(If you're lazy, use a bought pie crust)

Pie Ingredients:
4 large egg yolks
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1/2 cup fresh key lime juice (12 limes)
2 teaspoons grated lime peel, green portion only
Whipping cream for garnish (optional)

Directions (pie)
Use an electric mixer and beat the egg yolks until they are thick and turn to a light yellow. Don't over mix. Turn the mixer off and add the sweetened condensed milk. Turn speed to low and mix in half of the lime juice. Once the juice is incorporated, add the other half of the juice and the zest (grated peel) and continue to mix until blended (just a few seconds). Pour the mixture into the pie shell and bake at 350 degrees for 12 minutes to set the yolks.

Place in refrigerator for a couple of hours (better overnight) to cool. Add a dollop of whipped cream or cool whip, optionally.

Serve

After taking plate from husband, your wish is his command.

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I LOVE key lime pie. The best I've ever had was at McGrath's Fish House in Beaverton, Oregon. I'm allergic to seafood, but I will still go there and put up with the SMELL from HELL just to order a slice of key lime. x:)
  • Don - Almost a pound and a half of butter? Have you recently become employed by the Dairy Association? Surely it should be 1/4 (ne 1.4)lb. No?
  • As I sit here listening to Buffett and reading the Forum, I come upon the Key Lime Pie recipe. Thanks Don for giving me the pangs to visit the Keys. I'm sure my husband will thank you, I'm going home and TELLING him we need to go.

Did you know that true Key Lime Pie isn't that pretty green, its really yellow. The best is Key Lime Ice Cream in Mallory Square as the sunsets. Followed closely by Cheeseburgers and Margaritas at Jimmy's.

Why wait to get home...I'm calling my husband NOW.

Thanks Don!!!
  • I know now that you didn't read the recipe! The intro by the guy who wrote the recipe actually says the pie is yellow, not green. It broke my heart early this morning to dump the last piece in the trash when I started the low carb thing. I can't tell my wife I did that. I must find a way to atone. Ahhh, cheeseburgers sans buns are on the low carb.
  • I was asking if you knew that they were yellow, Mr. Don!!! As I did read the recipe!!!

How is a good ol' boy from Mississippi gonna survive on a low carb diet? No biscuits...NO GRAVY (that's why I couldn't do it), NO GRITS...I give you credit for trying.

Are we going to be getting low carb Southern cooking recipes now? Is it possible to do?? Oh the Women of the South will be turning in the grave!!
  • Yes, it is indeed tough without grits and gravy and biscuits and corn and Texas Toast and baked potatoes and french fries and real sweet tea and meringue. But, it's possible. The only time I went to Pennsylvania I asked if they knew what grits were in the restaurant and they did know of them but didn't have them. I settled for what they called a biscuit. I also got caught slipping through the back area into the Eisenhower property trying to avoid the bus entrance and fee.
  • No Pennsylvanians don't know what grits are...and a biscuit comes from a can. The only people that I have found that can cook (the way I like) in PA are the Pennsylvania Dutch. They know how to make chicken and dumplins.

I love the South and I am pushin my husband every day to move there. After spending an entire day with his mother yesterday whining and complaining 8-|, he told me that if I can find a job, we're there!

:DD x:D
  • Don...it all depends upon which part of PA you're visiting....when I moved to south central PA from the Pittsburgh area, I realized that the Mason Dixon line was drawn just a bit too far south!!! I learned VERY quickly about grits and gravy...and having married a dutchman...I've learned all about the PA dutch thing too...the best part was learning to make REAL shoo-fly-pie...

But as you pointed out...this does not mix well with the low-carb life...although, I'll be playing with the Key Lime recipe to see if I can reduce the sugar!!!

• How about posting that shoo-fly-pie recipe!
  • will do!!! Although it's not even remotely low carb friendly!!!

:oo
  • Try using Splenda in place of sugar. I'm not on the low-carb thing, but I believe it's allowed on your diet.

Made a cherry pie with it a few weeks ago & couldn't tell the difference!!!