Coca Cola Cake

Does anyone have a recipe for a Coca Cola Cake? Allegedly it is a chocolate cake made with Coca Cola. My husband remembers one from his youth (which he calls a Co-Cola Cake)but no one in his family can find a recipe. I tried one my grandmother had, but he said it just wasn't right. The one he remembers was some sort of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting that had rice crispies in it. I realize I might be searching for a needle in a haystack, but his birthday is this weekend and I'd like to take another run and making one for him. I appreciate any help you can give me.

Anne Williams
Attorney Editor
M. Lee Smith Publishers, LLC

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Anne..this intrigued me so I did a quick search on the internet. It turned up several recipes, but didn't see any with rice krispies. I was going to copy a couple here, but didn't want the x:=| to get me for a copy right violation. x:D Let us know if you find the right one.
  • I know I've had Coca Cola cake (chocolate but not with rice krispies) but I don't personally have the recipe. I searched Yahoo for "coca cola cake" and found a ton of recipes. If all else fails, try the one of those that seems the closest and add the rice krispies.
  • I'm home babysitting today ( school vacation) and decided to take on the challenge. I searched google and there were a lot of recipes that included chopped nuts in the icing. I imagine it would be simple to add rice crispies instead.
    Cristina
  • Ann: At the risk of sounding sexist, get a Dairy Queen Ice Cream Cake and go immediately to Victoria's Secrets.
  • Don, you must have forgotten that I just had a baby. I don't think they let women in my condition in the door at VS - we would scare away the cute, skinny customers!

Thanks to everyone for the ideas on the cake. In the end, I had one of his frat-boy pictures blown up and put on the cake. It was good for a laugh.

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
  • Two words: Lane Bryant. I'm a full figured gal and I always find purdy things there that don't make me have to hold my breath while wearing them. x:)
  • Go to allrecipes.com. They have any recipe you can imagine, and I am sure I have seen coca-cola cake there.
  • Don't send us on a wild goose chase. Have you or have you not?
  • I think I have the recipe from a Southern cookbook. Would you happen to have the recipe for the Milkyway cake?

I'll look for the Coca Cola Cake tonight and post.

G
  • Excellent!

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
  • I found this recipe from an old North Carolina cookbook.

CHOCOLATE COCA-COLA CAKE

Sift together:

2 c. flour
    1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1 tsp. salt
    1 1/3 c. sugar
    1/2 c. cocoa

Add and mix will:

1/2 c. shortening
    2/3 c. buttermilk
    2/3 c. cola
    1 egg and 2 egg yolks

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes

FROSTING:

2 egg whites
    3/4 c. sugar
    1/3 c. light corn syrup
    1/3 c. cola
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

Mix and beat continuosly over double boiler while cooking, doing this until it forms stiff peaks (about 8 minutes)

Found other recipes that may be of interest. Will post them separately because my browser keeps freezing.

Thanks.

G
  • Here's another North Carolina recipe.

VELVET COLA CAKE

1 3/4 c. sifted cake flour
    1/2 tsp. baking powder
    1/2 tsp. baking soda
    1/4 tsp. slat
    2 .oz (2 squares) unsweetened chocolate, melted
    and cooled
    1 stick margarine
    1 c. 2 tbsp. sugar
    2 eggs
    1 c. cola beverage

Sift the first four ingredients together, set aside. Cream margarine, gradually add sugar, creaming until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in cooled chocolate. Alternately add dry ingredients in fourths, liquid in thirds, and beat until smooth. Turn batter into two greased and floured cake pans. Bake at 325 degrees for 25 minutes or until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool layers in pans on wire rack for 10 minutes, remove from pans, cool completely on racks. Fill with a white butter cream frosting.

(Have to look for the recipe for the butter cream frosting.)

• 7-UP CAKE

2 sticks butter or margarine
    1/2 c. Crisco
    3 c. sugar
    5 eggs
    3 c. plain sifted flour
    1 tsp. vanilla flavor
    1 tsp. lemon flavor
    1 small bottle of 7-Up

Cream butter or margarine, Crisco, eggs and sugar, add flour and 7-Up alternately, add flavorings last. Bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour, 10 minutes.

(Years ago a coworker brought this cake to our office with a glazed sauce. You may want to use the glaze from the next recipe for the Sun Drop Cake. Just substitute the Sun Drop with 7-Up).

Thanks

G
  • Here's another Southern recipe.

SUN DROP CAKE

5 eggs
    3 c. sugar
    3 c. flour
    2 sticks margarine
    1/2 c. Crisco
    1 tsp. vanilla flavor
    1 tsp. lemon flavor
    6 .oz Sun Drop soda

Cream sugar, margarine and Crisco. Add flour and eggs, beat until blended. Add flavorings, add Sun Drop last. Bake in tube pan at 325 degrees for 1 hour, 15 minutes.

GLAZE:

2 c. confectioners sugar
    2 .oz Sun Drop soda
    2 tbsp. margarine.

Mix well and put on cake while cake is still warm.

Thanks

G
  • All those recipes look fabulous! Thank you so much!

On a related note, I have an uncle who makes his Thanksgiving turkey every year with Sun Drop! He pours a two-litre bottle right over the bird and roasts it in the oven. I've tasted it, it's pretty good!

Anne Williams
    Attorney Editor
  • This sounds delicious. I bet the turkey comes out nice and juicy.

Thank you for the tip. I'll pass this along to my co-workers.

Have a good day.

G
  • This is the last recipe for the day.

PIG PICKIN' CAKE

1 large container Cool Whip
    1 large can crushed pineapple
    2 packages vanilla instant pudding (3 .oz each)
    1 c. orange juice
    4 eggs
    3/4 c. cooking oil
    1 box yellow cake mix

Mix together the yellow cake mix, one package of vanilla instant pudding, orange juice, cooking oil and eggs. (Do not over beat). Pour into greased 9 inch cake pan. (Refer to instructions on cake mix box for oven temp.)

FROSTING:

Mix together crushed pineapple (slightly drained) and 1 package of vanilla instant pudding. FOLD IN Cool Whip. Spread topping on cooled cake.

A coworker brought this into our office years ago. Hope you will enjoy this.

• >This is the last recipe for the day.
    >
    >PIG PICKIN' CAKE
    >
    >>
    >Now there is one for you PORK!!!!!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

• Pork's diet consists entirely of Bar-B-Q, with occasional Crow. Why would he need to visit the recipe board? x:D
  • Anne, I am so embarassed that I didn't send this sooner, but forgot I had it. It has been so long since I made it. This must be about 30 years old or older and was my Aunts I think.
    Naturally someone in Atlanta, home of Coke, should have this recipe!! E Wart

Coca Cola Cake
    2 c sugar
    2 c flour
    1 c butter
    3 T cocoa
    1 c coca Cola
    1/2 c buttermilk
    1 t soda
    1 t vanilla
    2 eggs
    1 1/2 c small marshmallows
    Sift sugar and flour together and set aside. In sauce pan melt butter. Add cocoa and Coke. Boil one min. Add to dry ingredients. Mix butter milk, soda and add to mixture. Add eggs and vanilla and stir until smooth. Stir in marshmallows. Pour in greased 13 x 9" pan. Bake 45 min at 350 degrees.
    Icing
    1/2 c butter
    2 T cocoa
    6 T Cocoa Cola
    1 box (1 lb) powdered sugar
    1 t vanilla
    1 c nuts, chopped
    Mix butter, cocoa, and Coke and bring to boil. Add sugar, vanilla and nuts. Spread on warm cake. Cut in squares and serve.

Let me know if this is what he remembers.
    I just remembered that they have changed the Coke formula since this came out. (You can no longer buy the "original coke".) Hope it works with current "new Coke" product. Easy and good. Enjoy
    Ellen