Devilled Eggs

Does anyone have a good recipe for these? I love them but can't find a recipe that isn't very bland!

Comments

• 19 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I USE THE SAME ONE MY GRANDMOTHER USED.

It's very important not to use brand new eggs. Those will not peel well.
    Bring a dozen or more eggs to a rolling boil, immediately turn off and cover. Let stand for 15 minutes, place eggs in sink in collander and run cold water over them. Reserve the boiled water and pour it with egg shells around the base of pot plants. Then:

Slit the egg all the way around with a sharp pearing knife.
    Roll out the yolk into a large bowl.
    Place each half in your deviled egg container.
    Press all yolks into a fine powder with fork.
    Add 1 tablespoon dill pickle juice.
    Add approximately seven tablespoon-dollops of quality mayonnaise.
    Add 2 tablespoon-dollops of French's mustard.
    Add 1/2 teaspoon olive oil.
    If desired, add three tablespoons finely chopped onion.
    Add 5 drops of Worcestershire.
    Sprinkle salt and pepper to taste.

Mix the above well and spoon into egg halves, peaking it like meringue.
    Sprinkle paprika generously over all of your eggs.
    Cheat now by eating ONE, cover and refrigerate the rest for minimum 2 hours.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-14-03 AT 05:05PM (CST)[/font][p]Don, I simply have to assume you meant potted plants! x:D
  • Where Don is concerned, I don't think we can assume ANYTHING, Leslie. x;-)

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-14-03 AT 05:39PM (CST)[/font][p]You're probably right Beagle, but we'll have to wait with bated breath until tomorrow for the answer, because I believe it's 5:40 in good ole MS! :oo
  • Well it will be next week before I'm able to find out, because I'll be in Alabama tomorrow through Sunday. You'll have to let me know what the verdict is - pot, or potted. x;-)
  • Ah that's right - you get to go sweat. Good luck on the recruiting venture!
  • Recruiting? Ha! He's gotten the company to pay for his trip to see his honey. I hope she tells him she's been reading the Forum for months and his A-- is in a heap of trouble. Yes, I suppose I did mean potted plants. In MS we call them pot plants interchangeably for some reason, perhaps because they are in pots. I haven't tended to "pot plants" since the early 70's but don't remember putting egg shells around them. Of course that was purely for research papers and stuff.
  • Anything you say Don. We're with you.
  • Uh, Don, how do you think I met her in the first place? It wasn't this forum, but it was a similar one. x;-) And don't worry -- they got their money's worth out of me while I was down there!
  • My recipe is very similar to Don's, however I've never added olive oil. We like to use garlic salt, onion powder and ground celery. Or garlic powder and onion powder, then celery salt. Ground celery is hard to find. But you have to be really careful if you use garlic salt and celery salt - way too salty for my taste. So, depending on which I have, celery salt or ground celery, I will only use one dried ingredient that is salted. Does that make sense?

I fill my egg halves using a pastry bag fitted with a large tip. So much quicker and neater. And they look impressive also. People love devilled eggs.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-16-03 AT 12:12PM (CST)[/font][p]Wonderful sounding recipe. Can't wait to try it.
  • E Wart
    I LOVE deviled eggs and have been making them so long that I tend to do it by "hit or miss" and don't write everything down. However, here are some hints that I do.
    First use older eggs, not too fresh. Put them in a bowl of water and if they sink, thow them out they are no good.

I think this is for about a dozen eggs. I boil the eggs, rolling them a few times with a utensil so that yolk will be in the center. Drain hot water off and run a little cold water over them. crack them and put in pot of ice water to shock them. This makes the peeling very easy.

Cut in half and put white on an egg plate. (Every good Southern Girl has at least 2 egg plates.) Sprinkle whites with a little lemon pepper, paprika or seasoned salt. (Not much but a little.)
    To the yolks add 4 oz room temperatur cream cheese. (That's right, the cream cheese that comes in the foil wrapper.) 1 t+ horseradish. (I use about 1 T but I like mine spicy). 1 T + sour cream, 1 T mustard (your favorite kind), 1 t + lemon pepper. I add a squirt of lemon juice. You can mix by hand or I do with hand mixer till smooth. Taste for seasoning. You may need more mustard, lemon pepper, horseradish or could even add more sour cream or mayo. sometimes I add about 1 T very finely chopped onion. I too use a decorating bag with the star (or if don't have this use a zip lock with corner cut out) and fill the eggs. This makes them look "professionally decorated" and you don't waste anything and easy to get in the whites. I then sprinkle with lemon pepper or paprika. (You can see I am a great fan of lemon pepper.)
    I decorate the top with either a little caviar, pimento, slice of green olive with pimento in center, slice of black olive, or a little pickle... whatever you think looks nice and depending upon the occassion. Refrigerate them uncovered until firm. (That is the nice thing about he cream cheese.. these get firm.) Then you can cover and they don't get messed up. I have made these a couple of days ahead... but I have to be careful because we will eat them if they are in the refrigerator. Bon Appetite!!
    Ellen
  • E Wart, even we Midwest ladies have more than 1 egg plate. I also have a couple Rubbermaid & Tupperware containers specifically designed for devilled eggs. Makes transporting them sooooo much easier.

One other tip; if you are making a large quantity, use a pastry blender to mash the egg yolks.
  • I must admit I did not know one could affect the centering of the egg yolk. I thought the chicken had already done that. I will try rolling them and hope you weren't kidding. But, with those that wind up uncentered and the white has a badly off-center hole in it, those are the one the cook simply scarfs down during preparation. That way the family does not have to see those off center deviled eggs. Of course this requires sacrifice. Somebody has to eat those 'seconds'.
  • I havn't been to this site for awhile - andlook what I've missed! Don, I'm an ol farm boy and I too did not know you could manage the yolk placement. O'course, we never decorated chicken eggs with fish eggs, so whether the yolk was centered or not, never made much difference to us. I'm not sure I have the patience to roll the eggs around in the pan - but if you do - let me know how the emperical evidence sorts out. I was scratchn my head until I got to your post, then I was laughin out loud. And I know what is a burlap bag, a feed bag, and I've even know a couple of ol bags, but what is this pastry bag?
  • A pastry bag is how one refers to a woman who is 25 pounds of taters pushed down inside a 10 pound sack. She done had toooo many donuts and poke chops.
  • And of course the same definition would apply to a male, similarly situated??
  • Nope, that would be a flab sack.
  • The deviled egg recipe below is perfect and if you want to add a little spice to it try adding a little dry mustard to it.