National Lefties Day

Last year we were late getting this started so now you're getting plenty of notice that Wednesday, August 13, is National Left Handers (Lefties) Day. So begin preparing you special feasts and celebrations now so this Special Day can receive the worldwide recognition it deserves!! Please let fellow forumites know what you great plans are so we can share ideas!! Let's really make it special special!!

Comments

• 33 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Finally, the recognition we deserve! I'll have to contemplate how to celebrate this special day.

Cheryl
  • I plan to celebrate with anyone who can develop a left handed can opener.
  • >I plan to celebrate with anyone who can develop a left handed can opener.

They make a left handed can opener & MANY other unique items......check it out at:

[url]http://www.anythingleft-handed.co.uk/acatalog/[/url]
  • I guess I can celebrate with you even if I am right-handed. What do I do? Go around and smack everyone I see with my left hand?
  • [b]OUCH!!![/b] Nae, cut it out!
  • x:'(

No one EVER lets me have any fun!
  • You have permission to smack Paul.
  • Just warning you... John Dillinger, Albert DeSalvo (aka The Boston Strangler), Fidel Castro and Tom Cruise were all left-handed. If Marina finds out, she will want you all killed!
  • I think on that day, I will amuse my left-handed friends by attempting to cut paper with my left hand, using right handed scissors.

I will also use only my left hand to give my signature. Then later on I can deny that it's my actual signature because clearly a small child did it.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-07-08 AT 04:03PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I can't even eat with my left hand.

On the "other hand" (pun intended), President James Garfield was not only ambidextrous with his hands, but with his brain as well. Garfield had formerly been a teacher of Greek and Latin, and used to astound visitors by asking them to speak to him while he translated their thoughts on the fly... writing in Greek with one hand and in Latin with the other, simultaneously.
  • I can use my left hand to flip..........Oh, wait! That;s the other thread, isn't it?
  • I think KimberlyK needs to bust out her Snopes skills and check out Frank's claim...

I'm serious. And obviously also too lazy to look it up myself. Is "writing in Greek with one hand and in Latin with the other, simultaneously" possible?
  • Couldn't resist.

Garfield doesn't come up at Snopes, so I went to Wikipedia. Nearly the same facts are listed under the Trivia section.
  • Hey, I know: I'll ape Nae and slap Frank with my left hand!!
    What funnnnnnn!!!
  • Sorry I haven't been on for a few days, trying to get all the local celebration details finalized. Our parade is scheduled to start at 8:00PM Wednesday, led by the Budweiser Clydesdales! They will lead three area Community College bands, 6 VFW groups, the Shriner clowns and at least 12 floats down Main Street and into the city park, where hot dogs, hamburgers, brats, and kegs of beer will be awaiting the celebrants. At about 9:30 the fireworks display will begin and promises to be similar to the Beijing opening ceremonies. Most manufacturing companies and offices have decided to remain closed until noon Thursday, giving the revelers adequate rest after a long night of celebration. It'll be one for the history books!!!

• "It'll be one for the history books!!!"

Probably so as it sure sounds like a story from a book to me.
  • Jimbo, you can fool some of the people some of the time but................ Kegs of beer? Clydedales? Com'on, we all know they moved to Europe.
  • Wow, just received confirmation on this: The world's biggest left handed celebrity, Barack H. Obama is going to interrupt his Hawaiian vacation just to participate in our Lefties bash! How great is that, the guy's brave enough to come to a Republican leaning state just to mark the occasion. We did have to guarantee a basketball shootaround and free bowling, but it was worth it!!
    Man, I could not have dreamed any of this was possible!!

• I'm a little late getting started, such as exciting day! But let's get started with a rousing old British lament:

Left-Handers Lament by Ian Radburn

Now here's the story of my life,
    I've had fun but lots of strife,
    For I was born left-handed, but I'm proud
    To be one of the elite, right-handers we can beat
    We're the 10% that stand out from the crowd!

But as a little lad, oh the problems that I had
    Winding clockwork toys was just a mystery
    Tying laces was a pain, couldn't get it in my brain
    Everything was back-to-front it seemed to me

Chorus
    We're the Cack-Handed Kings, we're the LEFTIES
    You right-handers just haven't got a clue
    'Cos if you'd been through what we've been through
    Then maybe you would feel superior too!

At 5 I started school where I was treated like a fool
    Being left-handed I stood out from the pack
    And learning how to write was not a struggle - more a fight
    For I had my left hand tied behind my back

"Now get it in your head" the sympathetic teacher said
    "You use the right and not the Devil's side"
    Those supposed men of vision caused me pain and such derision
    Is it any wonder often times I cried?

We're the Gibble Fisted Friends, we're the LEFTIES (repeat chorus)

Time then came when my voice dropped
    And my face was one big spot
    But I was glad to see my teenage years arrive,
    Because I use my left, I was different from the rest
    And the girls saw me as something of a prize!

I learned some handy tricks in the back row of the flicks
    It used to drive my girlfriends all berserk
    For their eyes would keep apace of my right hand - just in case
    And they never saw my left one go to work!

We're the Southpawed Princes, we're the LEFTIES (repeat chorus)

Well I'm married now, worst luck
    But my wife has given up
    Asking me to help with chores like peeling spuds,
    Or trying to cut the bread, I'll get a 4 x 2" wedge
    Lose three fingertips and half a pint of blood

I would love to be a dad, but we've hit a little snag
    If you can help please tell us what to do
    The problem simply said, is that I'm a left-hand thread
    But my wife you see, now she's a right-hand .....OH, YES WE'RE THE

Scrummy-Handed Heroes, we're the LEFTIES (repeat chorus)

Now we reach today, where you stand and watch me play
    And yes, I play right-handed it is true
    For the very simple fact is that I've had to adapt
    Something all we southpaws have to try and do

We have trouble tying ties, writing cheques out, using knives
    and scissors made for use in your right hand
    And when it comes to sport once again we are left short
    In hockey and in polo we are banned

We're the Cuddy Wifter Winners, we're the LEFTIES (repeat chorus)

Now I've finished off my song and as you move along
    Please bear in mind the things I've had to say
    And please show some respect for your friends who use the left
    Thanks for listening to me this Left-Handers Day.

Copyright: Ian Radburn, 2004

• Now more official objectives of the day for those who really care (all 3 of us)::

The aims of Left-Handers Day are:
    To raise awareness of left-handedness and the challenges caused by living in such a right-handed world.

Educate designers and manufacturers to accommodate left-handers’ comfort and safety in new product and building design

Celebrate the strengths and advantages left-handers possess, and dispel many of the superstitions and fiction that have surrounded left-handedness in many cultures for hundreds of years, and which still create prejudice today.

Provide the greatest possible range of tools and equipment specifically designed for left-handers to use – making everyday tasks easier than left-handers have ever experienced, and making a positive difference to their lives.

Promote research into various aspects of left-handedness. This year we publish the initial results of our Life Choices Survey and promoting further research to compile a picture of the jobs, activities and hobbies that left-handers tend to choose and why.

More later......

• Just one more for now, since everyone knows Wikipedia is an invaluable resource:

International Lefthanders Day
    From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Jump to: navigation, search

Left Handers' Day, August 13 is designated International Lefthanders Day by Lefthanders International. It was first observed 13 August 1976. As its name suggests, it is meant to promote awareness of the inconveniences facing left-handers in a predominantly right-handed world. It celebrates their uniqueness and difference, who are from seven to ten percent of the world's population.

People who are left handed use their right brain, which appears to help in geometry, and related subjects. There also appears to be a connection between lefthandedness and intelligence.

• xclap xclap xclap I always try to hire a lefties. It's fun watching them write.
  • Sorry for the exuberance, but there is just so much great stuff to share!!

Left Handed Facts and Trivia:

Sinistrophobia is the fear of left-handedness or things on the left side.
    While many people are left handed, very few are 100% left handed. For example, many Left handers golf and bat right handed. On the other hand, there is a high percentage of righties who are 100% right-handed.
    Lefties are also called "southpaws". The term was coined in baseball to describe a left handed pitcher.
    Tuesdays are Lefties luck day.
    Only about 10% of the population is left handed.
    During the 1600's people, thought left handers were witches and warlocks.
    International Left Hander's Day was first celebrated on August 13, 1976. It was started by Lefthander's International.
    They say everyone was born right handed, and only the greatest overcome it. (he,he,he)
    It is believed that all polar bears are left handed. Also see Polar Bear Day.
    There is a rumor that octopuses have but one right hand. Scientists are diligently studying this issue.
    Think about it: Everyone is a Left Hander in Left Hand, West Virginia.

Lefthander's Slogan: "Everyone is born right-handed. Only the greatest overcome it". ...Brilliant Author unknown

• I can't resist a good celebration -- I'm off to Kansas to join in. Hope to see you all there!

Cheryl
  • Can't let up yet even if very few are responding; there is an obvious right hand prejudice manifesting itself here, I can just feel it!!

Among the Eskimos every left-hander was viewed as a potential sorcerer.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Zip Code 25251 is dedicated to left handers. Left Hand, West Virginia does allow right hander but everyone there is a true "Left Hander."
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you name the fish with both eyes on the left side of it's head? The answer is at the end of this list.

James A. Garfield was the first left handed president of the USA. He was a bit of a show-off about the fact he was also ambidextrous. He would amuse visitors by simultaneously writing in Latin with one hand and Greek with the other.

Mark Twain was born frail and a lefty. His mother wrote of him. "I could see no promise in him. But I filt it my duty to do the best I could. To raise him if I could."

Left-handers have an advantage in baseball. A lefty batter is a step closer to first base. A southpaw pitcher can keep an eye on the runner at first better then a rightie.

The term "southpaw" was started by Chicago sportwriters in the 1890's to describe left-handed pitchers. Pitchers in the Chicago stadium faced west towards home plate. Their pitching arm was on the side of town called the South Side.

A left handed comedian started out his comedy career by literally dying for attension. He was a professional drowner in Atlantic City. His fake drowns lured people to the ammusement pier. Who was he?...the answer is at the end of the list.

Male southpaws outnumber female southpaws by a two to one ratio.

Leftie Albert Einstein was called backwards. He learned to speak late and had problems in almost every subject in school. Don't give up if your left handed child learns slowly. Just keep Einstein in mind.

Because rudders on ancient sailing vessels were attached to the right side they would dock to the left. This became "port" side.

June 10th should be lightning day. On this day in 1752 port-sider Benjamin Franklin flew a kite during a lightning storm to prove lightning is really electricity.

The acnient Greeks were one of the few people positive towards port-siders. Their word for left was "aristera" meaning 'the best'. This is were we get the word aristocrat.

Tuesday is lucky for lefties. It was named for the left-handed Scandinavian god Tiw. This is the best day to meet a southpaw.

The Kerr clan in Scotland believes their surname comes from the Gaelic "keir" meaning left. Many of their castles were built with counterclockwise winding stairways. This gives left-handed swordfighters the advantage in defending against right-handed attackers.

Napoleon Bonaparte and Josephine are probably the most famous left-handed couple in history. They married on March 9th. If two lefties get married this is the day I would recommend.

Fish Head answer.:
    Answer to the fish head question.
    Halibut?....nope, they are right side eyed. The left eyed fish is the Turbot.
    What left handed comedian started out literally dying?
    W.C. Fields
  • No prejudice, steaks. We're just letting you enjoy your day in the sun. That, and all of the right handed people are WORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • What a day. Nothing went according to plan: Senator Obama found out we are actually a red state so decided it wasn't worth interrupting his vacation. He was confused since our governor and two U.S. reps are democrats. The Clydesdales didn't show up either because apparently their couldn't get visas in time. The bands, Shriners and VFW groups decided not to march and headed straight for the kegs in the park. None of the floats were able to parade either because the tractors we were going to use to pull them were all out in the hay fields. Then just to top it off we forgot to get a permit for the big party in the park and the fireworks, so the police SWAT team came and shut that down. Unfortunately several of the Shriner members were arrested for disorderly conduct and assaulting police officers. Thankfully we were able to get them released soon after midnight with the promise that they would leave town immediately.
    But you know you just have to be thankful for the good things and that no one was seriously hurt. The glow of the day lost some of it luster, but it was still a meaningful celebration; next year will be even better (I'm setting the bar pretty low with that declaration).
    Thanks for all of your support and patience.

• So, that's how a leftist party ends.
  • Cold Rita, really cold. Just kick a guy when he's down.