Muslim Holiday Replaces Labor Day

John Phillips
Editor, Tennessee Employment Law Letter
Miller & Martin

If you haven't seen my post on Tyson Foods' decision to replace Labor Day with a Muslim holiday as one of its paid holidays, you may want to check it out.

[url]http://hrheroblogs.com/theword/2008/08/06/muslim-holiday-replaces-labor-day/[/url]

I would appreciate your posting your comments on my blog below this post. Thanks.

Comments

• 46 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-06-08 AT 12:16PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Tyson has opened a huge can of worms. This is by no means over.

I think there could have been a less controversial (and more sensible) way to accommodate the muslim employees who wished to celebrate the end of ramadan.

Perhaps Tyson could have created a more generic solution: a religious observance day.

"Every Tyson employee is granted annually one day for personal religious observance in addition to the current designated paid holidays. Each employee who wishes to take a religious observance day may submit their request in accordance with our existing paid leave policies."
  • We experienced a similar issue when we replaced President's Day with ML King's Birthday. Only a few years removed from that decision, no one even remembers it.
  • I replied on John's blog.
  • I am appalled!!!! I almost do not believe it!!
    The forum has discussed this eventuality (now a certainty) previously and I expressed my unfavorable opinion then and I reiterate it now.
    9/11 is an open wound for all; acts of terrorism are very much alive regardless when or where they happened. NOW THE ULTIMATE INSULT: it is an abomination!!
    As of this second I am adopting John's resolution: I will NOT buy EVER any Tyson's products. Whatever their reasons are, I cannot find any justification for what they did.!!

• Marina, don't be so demure. Open up a little and express your emotions.

The only justification I can see is appeasement.
  • Blaspheomous!! Must you have to work on Labor Day!!
  • I think only women should work on Labor Day preparing a nice feast for us men.
  • Out of luck with me with the cooking: I can prepare tasty salads only
  • You could always spring for a really good authentic Italian meal at Olive Garden.
  • God forbid!!! The "IN" place is Fazoli. Didn't you know?
  • I heard they make pretty fair spaghetti.
  • How disappointing that Tyson has made this decision. Unfortunately other appeasement companies will follow suit. Paul's idea is a good one to consider before you just give em away.

• I think you're all getting a little carried away. You're projecting your own values on a group of employees you know little about. For all you know, the vast majority of employees at that plant would rather be off on the Muslim holiday than on Labor Day. I would argue that the company may be doing its employees a service by making the change, and may be also reacting to past "blue flu" situations to mitigate potential attendance issues.

In the end, it's Tyson's job to present a benefits package - including holidays - that provides the best value equation. There is a strong chance that this move improved the value equation of their benefits.
  • To clarify... the "John" Marina mentions is *not* John Phillips.
  • So Frank you think Tyson is just being pragmatic?

I think they're chicken.
  • Frank is right in that a company should do what is best for their ee's. Tyson is a very large company so I find it hard to believe the majority of their ee's are Muslim. It would be interesting to know the thoughts of their ee's, though.

I did check out their website and found some interesting things. Check here, [url]http://www.tyson.com/Corporate/AboutTyson/TysonCares/GivingThanks/[/url] for a list of prayers they post that can be used at dinner time for those who believe in giving thanks for their food.

Some of their core values unclude,
    [i]We strive to be a company of diverse people working together to produce food.
    We strive to be honorable people.
    We strive to be a faith-friendly company.
    We strive to honor God and be respectful of each other, our
    customers, and other stakeholders. [/i]

I still say it seems dangerous to make a decision like that at this time with feelings running so high. At least they didn't replace Christmas......

• Tyson press release:

[b]Springdale, Arkansas – August 4, 2008 – Contrary to recent reports, Labor Day is still a holiday at Tyson Foods. This issue concerns only the plant at Shelbyville, TN. The majority of employees at the Tyson plant in Shelbyville, TN, are represented by the Retail, Wholesale and Department Stores Union (RWDSU), an American union that asked for and received Eid al-Fitr, as one of their eight paid holidays, in place of Labor Day. This applies only to the Shelbyville plant and resulted as part of the union contract negotiated last fall. This change does not apply to Tyson Foods' other 118 plants. This is not a religious accommodation, rather, it is part of a union-initiated contract demand.

This change came about as a result of union demands brought to the negotiating table, and was agreed upon by Tyson in an effort to reach a contractual agreement with the union. The contract that calls for this change was unanimously recommended by the 12-person union bargaining committee, which included three Somali employees. The contract was then overwhelmingly agreed to by 80 percent of the rank and file membership of the union at the Shelbyville plant.

The Muslim population at the Shelbyville plant is primarily composed of approximately 250 Somali employees, who are political refugees, most of whom came to the plant as a result of refugee resettlement efforts based in Nashville. They were employed at the plant through the Tennessee Department of Employment Security office.

The Shelbyville complex employs approximately 1,200 people. Approximately 1,000 workers are covered by the union agreement at Shelbyville.[/b]

OK, so this decision was made at the request of 250 ee's, 20%. The other 80% just have to grin and bare it. But, since it is just another paid day off, they probably don't care.

• True, especially given the fact that most of our other holidays (Memorial Day, Fourth of July, etc) have lost most of their original meaninig and are now just a chance to have a three day weekend and do some BBQing.

Do you exchange gifts on EIad al Fitr?

• The release says that 80% of the employees agreed to it. That doesn't sound like "having to grin and bear it."

Also, the press release doesn't say that the plant only has 250 muslims. It says that its muslims are primarily comprised of 250 somali refugees. That indicates that there are other muslims besides the somali refugees. Apparently the union's press release stated that the plant has 700 Muslims ([url]http://tinyurl.com/5altne[/url]), but if the number's that high, then it seems odd that the company would say they're primarily somalians.

But still, like you say, I don't think it's hard to believe that most employees don't care whether they get their day off on the first Monday of September or at the end of Ramadan. This NY Times article actually says that employees haven't even had Labor Day off in the past 23 years: [url]http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/06/us/06muslim.html?ref=us[/url]

I say good for Tyson for not letting the public's widespread prejudice against Muslims dissuade it from making a decision that its employees wanted/demanded.

Though I do think it's funny that the union gave up Labor Day, of all holidays.

• Gee, I wonder where the "widespread prejudice" came from!!
    This is so unreal it is almost funny!!!
    When I came to this country, legally and without blowing anyone apart, I lived by this country rules!! As a catholic I took off the days of obligation if I needed to. Usually there are enough services at churches during the day to accomodate every shift!
    People, this situation is dangerous and I am so surprised everyone is so bland about it!!
    But you know what? At the very end this is your country, I am just a "citizen" so if americans are happy with this more power to them!!
    Good luck!!

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-07-08 AT 10:26AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Marina, what's interesting is that many of the people who cheer on companies, such as Tyson, for their liberal, so called compassionate policies establishing religious holidays for minorities are the same people who support a skewed position of separation of church and state when it comes to anything related to Christians. And because we protest, we are xenophobes. Amazing.

Of course language like some of us have used on this thread could land us in jail in Canada with their extreme liberalism related to treatment of minorities. My fear is we could end up with the same here in America.
  • The widespread prejudice came from people being largely uninformed about Islam and their primary encounter with Muslims being the actions of fringe extremists who have acted contrary to the tenets of their religion.

This isn't an issue of unreasonably accommodating religious beliefs. If Tyson had exchanged Labor Day for the Feast of the Immaculate Conception due to the demands of a large Catholic population in one of its plants, this wouldn't even be a story.

• You are right Kimberly it would have not been a story if a Catholic holiday would have replaced another, do you know why? Because It would have NEVER happened!!!!!!!
    Regarding the widespread prejudice of people being misinformed about Islam, you can mention that to the city of Florence (one of the most beautiful in Italy, after Venice of course)
    where the good "muslims" camped in the Piazza right in front of Giotto's Battistero and made a total mess!!! They were protesting something (not certainly Italians blowing their airport or trains up becuse that is a task that they cater to so well) ) and so they decided to set house in the famous Piazza, defecating, urinating, eating, playing whatever instruments tey play early in the morning, and praying. Oh yes, they do pray a lot to their Allah to kill all the "infidels"!! When they finally left a month later, the city of Florence had to literally infumigate the Piazza!!
    But let's not be to harsh on the poor muslims, they are SOOOOOOOOOO discriminated against!!!

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-07-08 AT 01:28PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Maybe after WWII we should have just driven out all the Italians from the US. After all, they couldn't have possibly been good for anything other than blowing up airports, trains, or anything else Mussolini wanted blown up, right?
  • Wrong. But
    Listen, I am not going to let this thing go on much longer because it is becoming way to personal and it is steering to a dangerous curve.
    Basically if you and everybody else want to accomodate these people, I shall give you my blessing (for what it is worth) and my good wishes. I hope you look good in a kaffiyeh!!
    That's all folks. Have a good day!

• I am sure that if a group of Christians or Jews were working in a large company in a Muslim ruled country, they would have the same amount of respect and consideration shown to them. I am sure their holidays and spiritual practices would be accommodated.

Right...
  • So, maybe John Lennon was right afterall?
  • And look where it got him - killed by a born-again student of a small Christian College.

If only someone had warned us about those born-again Christians...
  • Frank, we are speaking about a religious system that worldwide has millions of adherents that have proclaimed their desire to eliminate those who disagree with them, who do not bow down to their god. You respond with the example of a couple nut cases. Yes, there are many decent Muslims, I personally know some of them and trust them implicitly. But, in this world today, you do not see millions of people claiming to be Christians who murder and rape and subjugate non-Christians, as many Muslims do. Paul alluded to what happens in other countries, peoples that do not enjoy the freedoms we have. People that will kill their own children who convert to Christianity. People who murder Christians whose sole purpose is to help them. If we Christians acted like the Muslims of many other places, we'd be killing them in our neighborhoods with impunity from the local police. But, we are better than that. We are more civilized. We are more liberal in our thinking.

There are many brands of Islam. The concern is that right now today, the vast majority of terrorists are radical Muslims who believe they are merely earning their salvation by murdering so called infidels. Since 9/11, we have become more wary as a nation. How do we distinguish between a Muslim who is trying to live peacefully and one who would just as soon cut my throat? Or, enact laws that are diametrically opposed to my Christian beliefs. You may say then why should I expect a Muslim to live under my laws which they oppose? Simple, if they cannot abide by our laws and customs, then they should live somewhere whose laws and customs are in line with their beliefs.

In past generations, when peoples would immigrate from other countries, even ones with a vastly different culture, often within one generation they assimilated common American culture. We were a melting pot, to an extent. They became one of us. I do not wonder about a Pole. I do not wonder about an Irishman. I do not wonder about a Japanese. They Americanized themselves. They became like you and me. Muslims seem to not want to assimilate. They want to change. I don't want to change. I don't want sharia law, as we see in Europe and Canada. I don't want to see the pastor of my church arrested because he points out the error of Islamic teaching, as happened recently in Canada.

I don't want to see Marina wearing a burqa.
  • Like Frank says, most of the arguments are straw men. I seriously urge you to educate yourself more about Islam and its adherents. There really is no basis for the argument that Islam contains a larger percentage of people who use violence against those who disagree with them than do other religions. Northern Ireland, anyone? Decades of religiously-motivated violence between Protestants and Catholics that involved countless acts of terrorism and continued into the current decade? That's some serious violence in the name of religion, yet most people do not accuse Christianity of being a religion of violence. Would it ever occur to you to ask "How do we distinguish between a Catholic who is trying to live peacefully and one who would just as soon blow me to pieces?"?

As for your comment about past generations, it simply is not true that Poles, Irish, Japanese, etc. were so quick to assimilate and Americanize. Many ethnicities formed neighborhoods consisting primarily of people from their country. Even today there still are such neighborhoods - I personally live close to a largely Polish neighborhood, where the church services are given in Polish, people go to the local bakery/deli where the shopkeepers speak Polish (in some cases, only Polish). I know people who came here from Poland nearly 40 years ago who still can speak only a little English. I don't know if it's still the case, but in one community as recently as 30 years ago, a local Catholic school taught its classes in Polish. I hear few complaints about such activity, yet I suspect that if Muslim communities of that nature became more common, there would be public outcry, regardless of whether they were asking anyone else to change their ways.

As for Marina wearing a burqa, she's free to wear one or not wear one as she sees fit, just like the women in most Muslim countries.