Recycling

Anyone else out in Forumland recycle? I am not fanatical about it but I do cringe at seeing a pop can or plastic bottle go in the trash. Cardboard and greyboard too.

I have heard that your view of recycling may be directly related to your geographic area and/or political affiliation.

Ok, any recycling buddies out there? Any Prius owners?

Comments

• 24 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, I recycle. In this part of NY we can be fined if we don't. No Prius.
  • I kind of sort of recycle. If I happen to remember, I will drop cardboards and plastics and cans into the big blue garbage can instead of the big black one. The problem is, the black one is RIGHT BY THE DOOR INTO THE GARAGE. The blue one is all the way on the other side by the roll up door. It's like a whole extra 10 feet to walk. That is just asking too much.

No Prius. They cost so much that I would never save enough in gas to afford the difference in purchase price between the Prius and my Vue.

Plus, they are ugly. (Sorry, Prius owners...)
  • Ritaanz uses the same insults over and over... does that count?
  • I'm actually really big on recycling. Austin is a very "green" conscious town, and I'm afraid it's infectious. And yes, I bring my own grocery bags to the store too instead of the plastic ones. I realize it all sounds a little pretentious, but I actually enjoy doing it.
  • We recycle at home and at work. There are still people that throw their cans or bottles into the garbarge (even though we have 3 recycling bins in our building), but our janitor is nice enough to pull them out when she sees them...and razz the violator. My husband and I are diligently trying to cut back on the use of paper towels and sandwich bags. Unfortunately, I can't seem to ditch my paper napkins every night at dinner. I turn off the water when brushing my teeth and soaping up in the shower (is that TMI? x:-8).

NeedCoffee: do you just bring canvas totes that you have at home, or did you purchase canvas grocery bags somewhere? They sell them at our local Walmart, but they seem pretty small.
  • Many of us at work were diligent about separating paper from regular garbage until we found out it was all getting dumped into the same dumpster anyway, now I don't worry about it.

At home, my wife is probably better with the recycling than I am, but it is a good idea. There have been studies done and our dump is heading toward the point of being filled up. I think in something like 70 years, whoever still lives here will have to have an alternative.
  • The totally GREEN phase has not yet reached us in the wide open midwest where the air is still clean and the water drinkable. But I have been diligent for many years recycling newspapers, magazines, and aluminum cans. We (wife and I) donate the cans to a local charitable group that collects them. Our town has a recycler but they only take paper, cardboard and aluminum. So the plastics still get tossed.
    Now that Mr. Gore has perfected the method, I have calculated the above recycling and other environmentally thoughtful things we do, more than off set (carbon credits) my pickup truck's emissions and burning natural gas in our central heat...... oh, and flushing after every use..

• I cannot get on board with "If it's yellow, let it mellow. If it's brown, flush it down." I flush every time.
  • Cans and bottles are worth 5 cents here so I will usually take them in and recycle them at our local Safeway and then use the $3-5 towards groceries.

Our recycling company has relaxed its rules on how strictly you have to seperate paper products. Pretty much newspapers, cardboard, and grey board can all go in together.

We have one garbage can and we fill it up each week. It seems like a lot of garbage and so the recycling makes me feel a little better.

I dont use my own bags at the grocery store. I take the plastic bags and use them for trash liners.

I am wondering what Q does with the dozens of Alberto VO5 bottles she must go through each week...
  • Yep, here in the office every ee has two waste cans: one for recyle and one for trash that we do not recycle. We are also big into shredding. We have an ee that collects the plastic bags that we all get at Wally-World and such places and she takes them to the local food pantry for them to use. when handing out food products.
  • Your plastic bags are still ending up in the land fill :)
  • I have some bags from local grocery stores, but they're a pretty good size. I also just purchased some that roll up into a handy carrying case. See [url]www.redenvelope.com[/url] - they're really cute!
  • Thanks, Frank your thoughtfullness is heart warming.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-30-08 AT 02:16PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I recycle as much as my community accepts. We are getting curbside recycling this July and I'm pretty excited about that - mostly because others will be more likely to recycle. My family has been environmentally consious and has recycled my whole life - I have said, "We recycled before recycling was 'cool'."

I do own a Prius and love it. My husband's vehicle is a Ford Escape Hybrid. We seriously considered getting him a Prius, but we needed a vehicle that could tow our pop-up camper.
  • mirnbcan, you win the prize I think. Your looking pretty smart as the gas prices climb upwards.

We have had curbside recycling as long as I can remember and its certainly convenient.

• We use curb side recycling at home and the mixed use container makes it easy. Don't have a Prius, but did trade my premium gas 8 cylinder Allente in for a regular gas 4 cylinder Honda last fall. At work we moved into a new LEEDS (Silver) building in September. We recycle at work as much as possible. I find there are major diferences between what you can recyle at work (less variety) and what you can recycle at home.
  • I forgot that our new building has gone greener! We have a geo-thermal heating system, automatic lights, and we don't use plastic silverwear in our break room anymore (we use regular silverware and plates now).
  • Who cleans the plates and silverware? Is that part of HR's responsibility?
  • Actually, we have an energy efficient dishwasher so no one is only rinsing their fork and then putting it back in the drawer. The IT Director actually puts all of it away! Some people don't like the change so I tell them that they are welcome to bring their own dishes and flatware. Surprise, they never do. We even asked employees to bring cups/mugs from home to use for their water and coffee when we got rid of the styrofoam.
  • I work at a Honda store, and it's amazing the response we get on our "green" approach to things. We recently moved facilites, and the new facility was built to maximize renewable resources and the environment...I think it's great that companies are starting to pay attention!
  • I wish we had more recycling available here. There is limited cardboard recycling and that's it. When I look at all the recyclables that go into the regular garbage here, I am appalled. I guess some of the problem is our location...we're on an island and everything recycled would have to be shipped out and apparently nobody has wanted to tackle the issue.

There are so many ways people around here could go greener, but unfortunately to many who live here, being environmentally responsible is associated wth the environmentalists (aka "greenies") that many blame for the loss of much of the logging industry in this area, so to those people "green" is a dirty word.
  • I think my jaw dropped when one of my friends told me she didn't recycle cans and bottles because she, "Doesn't have room for another container." She quickly followed that with, "I know I should teach my daughter to recycle; at least the pop cans." Wow.
  • >Anyone else out in Forumland recycle? I am not fanatical about it but I do
    >cringe at seeing a pop can or plastic bottle go in the trash. Cardboard and
    >greyboard too.
    >
    >I have heard that your view of recycling may be directly related to your
    >geographic area and/or political affiliation.
    >
    >Ok, any recycling buddies out there? Any Prius owners?

Hey Paul,

I live in Alcoa, TN, home of aluminum and we recycle within the city limits of Alcoa. We recycle newspapers, cardboard, greyboard, aluninum cans, plastic, glass, etc. Additionally, twice annually, we have an opportunity to get rid of old paint and other chemicals. We also have a place to discard used oil and antifreeze. I gladly let my county friends use my recycle bin if they would like. It is a lot better than seeing recycable litter lying on the side of the road. If it can be reused, please recycle it. Unfortunately, I drive a Dodge which may change in the near future.