Survivor China and Kid Nation

Anybody else watching either of these shows?

Survivor China: My all time favorite show ever. I have seen every episode of every season. This season is being filmed in China. Should be interesting. If you have never watched Survivor, watch at least three episodes. The first epidode is available at [url]www.cbs.com[/url]

Kid Nation: a somewhat controversial show. 40 kids, no adult supervision. Watch it with your family but be warned, it might remind you too much of your workplace.

Comments

• 73 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Didn't watch either. I've followed/watched Survivor in past seasons and it is usually interesting; much better than Big Brother.

• Have not watched any of the Survivor episodes. But had the grandson this weekend and watched Kid Nation. The dynamics were interesting.
  • My experience with these shows is that you have to watch several episodes to really connect with the people.

When the chemistry is right and the dynamics are interesting, it can be fascinating to watch.

My 11 year old wants to apply for Kid Nation 2.
  • Paul, I'm a survivor watcher and I watched the opening episode of survivor China. I thought it was very interesting as they were welcomed by China and the ceremony they attended prior to being shipped off. I'll be there Thursday nite!
  • Yea! I am not alone. I generally think the show stinks until about the 3rd episode.

Have you ever considered applying?

Do you have a favorite season?

• Paul that's tough because each are so different and diverse. The first Survivor hooked me. Then the year Jenna #1 won was also good, but I guess I really liked the All Star season #8 in the amazon because you had watched all of these seasons, you had favorites in each but when they put them all together...were they still your favorites? Maybe...Maybe not! x:-/ Since most of them were winners then you had some just favorites it really made for a good Thursday night relaxing in front of the tube.

I can honestly say there was a time in my life I would have jumped at it. Now, not so sure. :-?

How bout you?
  • I thought about applying. I even downloaded the application form.

I am probably too normal. Married protestant white guy with 2 kids a cat.

Although I think HR is the perfect profession for the game of survivor. We use a skill set that is ideal for maneuvering within the game.

My all time favorite season (and its tough) is probably the season with Colby. I thought he played the game so well. He ended up losing to Tina but only because he honored their original alliance and took her to the final two.

All stars was great though too. The past season with Yul was terrific. What a comeback after being down to just 4 people.

I'd love to see an "international survivor" with people from all over the globe. Language conflicts! Wouldnt that be great.

Back in the day we had "Survivor Night" at our home with 10-12 friends and co-workers. It was a lot of fun.
  • Come to think about it I don't remember an HR Manager ever being on Survivor. Thne next best career line to us always has someone on being a bar tender or waitress. They also utilize their people skills everyday of their lives and maneuver so many different personalities.
  • The "professional poker player" would seem a good bet but something tells me that his arrogance will be hard to hide.

• Hey Paul we can use this thread each Friday am to dissect Thursday nights episode. After a couple more shows we'll have to pick our favorites and see how they turn out. x:7
  • Surely you guys are tivo or dvr-ing Survivor; "Are you Smarter than a Fifth Grader" is on at the same time!! How could you possibly miss that?

• Steaks, I'm all over the TIVO...we've been distributing that product nationwide since 2000.
  • HRDilemma, absolutely! I am looking forward to discussing the show with you. Nobody else will talk with me about it.

• OK, I watched Kid Nation and you are right. Some of the personalities did remind me of several employees. The Blue team did great on building the pipe maze to work the water wheel, but it didn't really leave me with a deep interest to make sure I tune it in again.

Tonight...I will be watching survivor...
  • Dilemma, did you watch last nights episode? It was actually pretty good.

One of the younger girls has a "beauty pageant" attitude and her approach to dealing with other people was to simply yell "DEAL WITH IT!"

Eventually the kids rebelled and confronted her about her demeaning attitude. Suprisingly (or maybe not) she melted into tears and apologized.

Its been a fun show to watch with my two girls. They are totally into it. I am just amazed that these kids can problem solve so well.

There are some really great kids in this group.
  • No I didn't catch it last night, I did see two little girls on the yellow team the week before who were suppose to be on kitchen duty and refused to go to work because they were cold. And I thought the way the young boys handled the frozen pump was smart so they could get water. I was surprised how calm they are with the crisis they encounter.
  • I haven't watched Kid Nation, but my husband and I are faithful Survivor watchers. So far, this season seems kind of boring...but aren't they all the first few episodes?! The blonde waitress from NY drives me insane. She even rolled her eyes repeatedly during the welcome ceremony. I thought that was extremely disrespectful.

Yul and Stephanie were my favorites. When Steph was all alone was truly a test of endurance and personal strength.
  • I've been watching Kid Nation with mixed feelings. I think I'm ok with it but I wish they had stuck with older kids, maybe even 10 and up. I think 8 is just too young.

I also liked the show where the boys figured out how to get the pump working. I think the green team is made of the hardest workers. I keep pulling for them to win a challenge. I think if they get to run the town things will really change. I'm totally not fond of the council members that are leaders for red or yellow. Both are brats.

The one part of the show I had sort of a problem with was the week they killed chickens for the meat. While I know that our meat comes from live animals, and I grew up on a farm and was in many slaughter houses before my 10th birthday, many of these kids have a much more sheltered background and I think this may have been a big shock to them.

Anyhow, my FAVORITE reality show is Beauty and the Geek. I never miss that one! :) (I know, I'm pretty lame)
  • Paul,

Do you have an opinion about Cody going home? What is your thoughts about Taylor and her part last night? Will she be de-chaired?

Survivor should be good tonight.
  • I felt bad for Cody. Hopefully he will be OK with his choice later. Its a pretty unique experience but its also a LONG time away from your family. Having sent my daughter to camp for five days, I am well aware of that.

On one hand Taylor annoys me because she is so bossy and handles others so poorly. On the other hand, you have to give her credit for what a powerhouse she is for such a tiny thing.

I was hoping the kids would pick the mini-golf instead of the Holy Books. Does that make me a bad person?

My 11 year old LOVES Kid Nation. Its become our Weds night thing. She told me that its helpful to her to watch the show because she can learn from the other kids "bad behavior". I assume she means learn something positive.
  • Yeah I felt sorry for Cody as well. When he said the longest he'd ever been gone from home before was for one week and that was with his grandma, I realized how big of an experience this had been for him, yet he handled the farewell speech like an adult when he stated the down side would be losing all the friendships he had made at Kid Nations. Family came first as it should.

I was surprised with their choice for the Holy Books and never expected that to be their choice.

Taylor has learned at a very young age how to be an executive.

I was also thrilled for the gold star winner. It was a good selection and I've really been surprised at the mature decisions they make at times. Then we have the shots in the canteen to remind me they are still kids. Actually much like a lot of my employees.
  • Paul, were you surprised with Dave being voted off last night at tribul council. How about the chinese fishing gear/equipment? Was that not amazing?
  • I loved the fishing birds. That was really cool.

yeah I was suprised at Dave being voted off. He only has himself to blame though. You would think a million dollars would be incentive enough to treat people a bit more nicely.

I liked the chopsticks challenge as well. It was interesting to watch them figure it out.

Are you rooting for anyone? I can't say as I am yet.
  • I haven't picked my favorite yet, I don't feel anyone has really taken a big lead or impressed me yet as a great mind player of the game. James has impressed me with his abilities in the games. He seems to be highly competitve. I had really hoped the black girl was voted off last week. She appears lazy to me, not motivated except at the games. I would have thought a male strength would have been important to the tribe because now they are only 2 guys and 3 girls and one of the guys is small but I guess we'll see how it all turns out. Have you decided what the clues are referring to yet up high and off the ground?
  • "Have you decided what the clues are referring to yet up high and off the ground?"

sorry to cut in here, but I believe that is the immunity idol- the small one. Will there be more than one this year?
  • Hey Beverlee, come on in and join the conversation. The more, the merrier.

Yes, I think the clues refer to the immunity idol but I havent caught whether there are one or two.
  • Hi, and thanks- I'm not sure if I should spoil it, but if I understood what my eyes were seeing, one of the idols (if only one?) looked like it is nailed up over a threshhold/trellis type wooden structure thing...I believe they can see it...but don't yet realize what it is.

and I could be very wrong, LOL!

• Beverly,

Welcome and I agree with you because every time they have one of the scrolls they show it following the players conversations. That is why I asked Paul the question to see if he felt the same way. But I also agree that I haven't figured out if each tribe has their own or not. This is kind of unique putting it in plain site everyday. It so obvious and part of their daily routine it will be interesting to see how long it takes them to figure it out.
  • Wow.. I didnt catch that. They say women observe 70 percent more than men. I guess its true.

I like the idea of hiding something in plain sight too.

I used to watch Survivor carefully. Sometimes I would even watch a good episode twice. This season hasn't grabbed me though.

Have you guys been to the Survivor website? They have very active forums that discuss the show. There are some folks who are WAY into the show.

Its funny how winning can help everyone get along. Then you lose a few challenges and stuff starts coming out...
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-17-07 AT 10:09AM (CST)[/font][br][br]My understanding is that there is an idol at each camp. It's the round wooden insignia thing above their entrances; or at least that's what the camera focuses on after they read the clues.

Has anyone else noticed the slo-mo and "special effects" filming they're throwing in this year? Kind of drives me nuts.

In my opinion, Courtney needs to go. She doesn't do much at camp or in challenges. Not to mention that she is disgustingly skinny. Every time they show her, I want to ship her a case of King Size Snicker bars!