Michael Vick

Unlike Barry, Michael has admitted to his wrongdoing and has blamed his behavior on immaturity. OK, he seems contrite and willing to accept his punishment. The question is, should the Falcons allow him to play again when he is available? The news this morning indicates they are not willing to release him and are leaving the door open for his return. Is not this just further evidence that professional sports have their priorities all screwed up? Win at any cost. Of course the fear is if Atlanta releases him some other team with low scruples will snatch him up. The only solution is for the NFL to ban him completely. But, will they? Should they?

A wise man once said, "If you aren't desperate for applicants, I would recommend you weed these people out based on your prior experience with them". Should Vick's prior experience affect his future employment in the NFL?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Yes, he should be permanently and totally banned from the NFL. It's the only right thing to do.
    Nothing should overshadow the bottom line here - that is, Vick's inhumane, cruel treatment of defenseless animals. To do anything other than firing him outright is to condone his actions.
  • I have mixed feelings about it. I've never been a Vick fan and his actions were reprehensible. But if he serves an appropriate sentence, is it fair to ruin the rest of his life by banning him from the NFL? Does the punishment fit the crime?
  • Not that I don't agree with you on the permanent ban, but how is cruelty to animals worse than assault and battery or dometic abuse on a human being? I'm sure there are many professional sports participants, not just football players, who have that type of crime in their background, but they are allowed to continue playing.
  • Joannie and HRinVA make great points. Yes, what he did was horrendous and terrible, but realistically, there are people playing ball today that have done much worse. I do not think that the punishment fits the crime - let him do his time, suspend him, then let the market decide what he's worth. I don't think teams will be itching to hire him for the simple fact of negative publicity. He will always have a dark cloud hanging over him.

• If there are ball players out there who have done worse, let the justice system and society in general deal with them, as we are now dealing with Vick.
    I for one will never support the NFL in any way ever again if Vick is allowed to play in the future. To allow him to play would be to allow the politics of football to trump justice.
  • If the decision had to be made today, he should be permanently expelled from the NFL. But reality is our society thrives on second, third, fourth chances. He made a good contrite apology yesterday, but he also made some very significant commitments to change and correct his errors. I would leave his suspension as "indefinite", and see if he truly means what he says. If he is able to demonstrate changing his life and life style, does meaningful positive actions to correct the wrongs, and fulfills all of the commitments he made, he should be reconsidered. And if I'm the owner of the Falcons, I don't lock the door just in case.
    It may be two or three years before he is worth reconsideration, but I'd give it the time.
  • I'm with Forrister on this one. If he is banned from the NFL, *we* have not ruined his life, he did it himself based on his actions. He can sweep floors to earn his keep. Or become a professional wrestler. I wonder what those guys would do to him?

• While listening to Mike & Mike this morning at home the question was asked: "If Vick had not been caught, would he still be involved in dog fighting and gambling?" Of course the answer is yes! He is basically now saying that he is sorry that he got caught.
    As much as I am offended by his cruelty to animals, He needs to be allowed to pay his debt to society and then be allowed to start a new life same as any other convicted felon that serves his time. I do hope the judege gives him more than 12-18 months when the max could be 5 years.
  • Check out what a blogger friend of mine has to say about Vick. His language is a little coarse, but he is showing his emotion. He makes some good points. [url]http://cosmicwheel.blogspot.com/[/url]
  • Mark my words, he will be in Atlanta as soon as he gets out. He's the only thing they got goin' right now (sports wise) and people tend to have a short memory. I think he's an idiot, but there are plenty of people who could care less about what he did and want him on the field. What a shame. The whole "ethics code violation" is a joke.
  • He completely disgusts me. For some reason, cruelty to animals makes me angrier than domestic abuse. These are creatures that depend on a human to take care of all of their needs. They do not have a choice on who their owner is, how they are treated, when to go to the bathroom, or many times even when to eat. Vick made the CHOICE to murder the animals that didn't "perform" well in test fights. Electrocute or hang him and let him see how the dogs felt.

That all being said, I wouldn't have a problem with him reentering the NFL if he had gambled on fights, etc. of any kind. Killing animals is a whole different ballgame.
  • I believe they are keeping Vick on the roster so that Vick will have to pay back the signing bonus for each year he cannot play. This would amount to I believe 24 million dollars. But also gives them the opportunity to trade him to another team or have him back on the Falcons.

It is said that Vick will be losing around 130 million dollars in the next 5 yrs due to lost endorsements and repayment of the signing bonus.

Should he be able to play again, NO but I said that about TO, too.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-27-07 AT 07:08AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Is this guy going to ever learn? Now he got busted for drug use!!! Surprise....surprise.
  • He's digging his own grave. How appropriate.