How to appropriately address...

feminine hygiene issues. I have a staff person that all her co-workers literally run when they see her coming because she smells so bad. How do I address the problem without being offensive?

Comments

• 6 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • This is such a tough situation, and before you do anything about it, realize that this may have ADA implications - there are numerous articles and caselaw out there on the subject. Even if this isn't an ADA issue, you still run the risk of coming across the "regarded as" problem.

That being said, I have found that the best way to address these things is to kind of cheat a little and give the employee an "out." (1) Make sure the meeting is held in a private, non-threatening setting, (2) gently tell the employee that there have been some complaints regarding some unidentified odor, and (3) suggest some benign reasons for a possible cause that the EE may not be aware of, i.e. changes in medication, changes in personal care products, washing machine problems, etc. This puts the pressure off the EE and gives you the opportunity to say, "you may want to see if any of these things may be happening in your life and try to correct them...if the problem persists, we will have to find another way to solve this problem." or something like that. Hopefully the EE will choose to correct the problem. However, if they are unaware of the odor, be prepared for some battles if they challenge you. If you are a subscriber, there are a few articles in the newsletters on this site about those battles - just do a search in the state newsletters for "hygiene issues."

This is perhaps the touchiest subject to have to deal with - good luck!!!
  • NeedCoffee gave good advice. I will add that sometimes it comes out the ee is having medical problems that causes the odor, but be careful, as Coffee says, you could run into ADA problems if you bring it up or imply it. I did have a woman with an odor problem and she is the one who mentioned she was seeing a doctor about it. Turned out wearing sneakers even with socks caused the problem. She had to wear leather shoes. Be discreet, use tact, and be respectful.
  • Thanks for the advice. However this women appears to be about 300 plus pounds and I do not want to piss her off in any way.
  • The woman I referred to was close to that weight, and she was not happy. The next day after our initial conversation, she came into my office and dumped a bagful of hygiene products on my desk to show me what she uses.
  • I just change the sign on their assigned parking spot to read "Reserved for Stinky".

That seems to take care of it.