Gas Prices

Just curious...
How are the gas prices doing in your area? Here in central Missouri we are suddenly up to $2.869 a gallon. Prices went up 17 cents a gallon over night. 'course I may be one of the few around here that very much remember the gallon meter turing over much faster than the dollar meter.
I did find out that the pumps at the station I use will only go to $75.00 on a credit card charge. It has an automatic cut off when it reaches that magic number. $75 and I still didn't get a completely full tank. Prices had gone down to $2.499 and they stayed there for several weeks but recently it seems they are going up, up and away again....

Comments

• 38 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey, I remember the gas wars pre-1973, I could sometimes buy gas for under 25 cents a gallon. Then the shortage hit in 1973 and the cost ballooned to the 50 cent range, which we thought was outrageous. I could fill the tank of my 1975 Honda Civic for $4.

Our prices for regular are around $3.00. The cheapest I've seen is $2.899 and the most expensive is $3.099. It cost me about $85 to fill the tanks of my two cars this week.
  • In northern Ohio this morning the gas was $3.19/gal. How ridiculous!!!
  • I was in Ohio 3 weeks ago and was surprised to see your gas prices were higher than ours in NY. Typically, you're about 10 - 20 cents lower. We blame ours on NY gas taxes.
  • > $75 and I still didn't get a completely full tank.

Well that's what happens when you drive a tank!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-04-07 AT 09:42AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Portland is at $3.30 and here in Cannon Beach where there is just one gas station, they are charging about $3.60

As soon as my daughter is out of school in a couple weeks, I will begin biking or walking to work.

I can walk to work in 20 minutes and half of that time is on the beach.
  • Here in Central Louisiana it is as low as $2.869 and as high as $2.979 for regular.
  • Here in the Land of 10,000 Ethanol Plants the gas is running $2.89/gal in the Minneapolis area.
  • South Central Oklahoma with a gas refinery in our city limits and their company stores are at 2.899. And this will probably start a whopper of a discussion, but...... yes, the oil companies are making good profits, however in our area they are certainly contibuting to the economy through wages, benefits and taxes. State government in Oklahoma would have a difficult time with out the money coming in from or with ties to energy companies. Maybe it is time we relaxed some of the EPA restrictions??????????
  • With all the threats of global warming and green house gases? Bite your tongue!
  • Tell me, if we are in the midst of global warming, why was April the coldest April we have had in 143 years?
  • What a great transition from a shared whine area (gas prices) to a nice controversial subject!! Gas prices in SE KS 2.9999999. I'm surprised MO and OK prices aren't much lower.
    Now here's one humble opinion. To me the reason "global warming" has been so divisive is the catastrophic consequences, morbid threats of doom that proponents have preached. Reality is people, businesses, animals and nature all pollute. We can't do anything about what nature does, but it doesn't hurt for us to exam methods to reduce dangerous or damaging pollutants, whether it's air, water, land, ozone, whatever. Just don't tell I'm going to drown or won't have air to breathe if I don't do drastic changes today! Recycling is easy; closing businesses is tough on the economy.
    But hey, just my opinion.

• I just read an article about rice patties and the huge impact they have on global warming. More so than other factors. So now there will be a ban on rice! Go figure.
  • Because global warming deals with overall climate changes worldwide over a substantial period of time, and not what happens with the weather for one month in a particular location? When the weather reaches record highs in your city do you say, "Wow, proof after all that global warming is a serious problem!"? If not, then you should understand why a particular month of cold weather doesn't do much to indicate anything one way or the other about the legitimacy of global warming.

(Before the "global warming is a bunch of bunk" proponents start jumping down my throat, I'll note that I have no strong feelings one way or the other about global warming - for all I know, it is a bunch of bunk, but if it is, it's not because some areas of the world are still susceptible to very cold temperatures {while i may not have strong feelings about global warming, I do have strong feelings about logic. ;-) (insert snarky comment about my logical skills here)}).

• Central SD gas (ethanol) around $3.049

We've been over $3 for 1-2 weeks.
  • I bought gas last night on the way home from work. I took the back way home and stopped at a station that doesn't get as much traffic as the one on Main St. I paid $2.829. The station on Main St., a mere 1/2 mile away, was charging $3.099. I've seen stations next door to each other with prices that are 10 cents different. Wonder how the more expensive station maintains business.
  • Our gas prices can vary even by stations across the street from each other as much as 20 cents per gallon. Our cheapest is 3.25 and the most expensive is 3.45. That was this morning, they could be higher by afternoon! I am in Vancouver, Washington.
  • A lot of the gas stations in my area stop you at $50. It infuriates my son to no end. He drives a Chevy 3500 (he's a horse trainer and needs a big heavy duty truck) and it normally takes him around $80 lately to fill it up. Oddly enough, when gas prices are lower they don't seem to have the $50 limit, since it always took him over $50 to fill it up. He is never stopped unless the prices jump up.
  • Ok. Not a gas price story, but seems to fit here.

My hubby is young enough to get women's lib (he shares the chores) but old enough to stand his ground on little things. For instance, he insists on getting my gas for me.

Recently I was on empty and needed to drive somewhere the next day. He insisted on pumping my gas but since time was of the essance we agreed to meet at the gas station.

I could see him turning in right behind me, but I couldn't remember which side my gas tank was on (I have put gas in his vehicle as much as mine and they are on different sides), but I didn't want to admit it. So, while pretending to just be waiting for a car to move out of the way I reached down to pull a leaver and pop the gas door open. I looked in my right mirror; I looked in my left mirror. No open door.

The car in front was moving, so I quickly reached down again and pulled the leaver a couple of times. Again I looked, and again no open door.

Now I was beginning to feel a need to move my car but didn't know which way to go. I glanced into my rearview mirror to see if hubby was paying attention. I couldn't see him. My trunk was up.
  • I couldn't see him. My trunk was up.

Did you smile and say "Honey, would you check the air in the spare tire, just in case I have a flat"?

• That was good, joannie.

Several years ago my was going garage saling on a Saturday morning. Her car was low on gas but I told her it would be fine, she had enough. She insisted on taking my car. I drove hers and ran out of gas a mile from home. She found it quite amusing.
  • As do we, Ray.

I had the unique pleasure of stopping for gas in Portland yesterday before returning back to the coast. I actually thought this to myself:

"Hmm.. Gas is only $3.39 here. Better fill up."

If only rage fueled cars. I would save so much money.
  • If only I had thought of that!!!! Instead, I began frantically looking for the release while hoping my hubby wasn't noticing. I think I was actually desperate enough to hope I could find it, pull up to the gas nozzle, hop out and close the trunk before he noticed. When I looked up he had pulled his car up next to me and was pointing to which side my tank was on. Needless to say, he did it all with a huge smile on his face.

Later I told him that was the closest I had ever felt to being my sister (a blonde).
  • OK Nae, I have to admit a couple times I have hit the wrong button and popped open the trunk instead of the gas door. The buttons are adjacent to each other. But, I did know which side to pull up on. :-)
  • Late last week, just in time for the weekend, our prices went up to $3.059 per gallon, so far they are holding steady.
  • Prices in Oregon today range from $3.21 to $3.68 per gallon. I would not be surprised to see close or at $4.00 per gallon by the holiday weekend.
    CRAZY!
  • Ours are ranging anywhere from 2.76 - 2.89

I was so excited b/c our Kroger just built their gas station in front of the store. You can save money on gas with your Kroger card, especially when you spend as much as I do as the grocery store. I was furious to see that they jack their prices so much higher than anyone else in town!!! I am not saving any money, even with the card. I refuse to buy gas there. It's the principle. I'm sure it will be $3.00 and over within the new few weeks. Schools will be out soon.
  • I noticed that with Krogers while on vacation in Ohio recently. I could have borrowed my son's Krogers card and saved 10cents a gallon, instead I drove to the next station whose regular price was 10 cents less than Krogers.
  • We have a few Wal-Mart Super Centers in the area that have gas stations. I believe you save $0.03 cents a gallon if you use their Wal-Mart Card. So far their regular prices are competitive with the stations around them. Only problem is the closest one is 20 miles away. If I get 10-11 miles a gallon and I burn 4 gallons to make the round trip = $12.24 to save $0.03 a gallon, I would only save $0.96 on a tank full 32 gallons... however, we do try to remember to cap off the tank when we are there.
    Most people around here are really cutting back on their trips. They are making one large trip to the grocery each week instead of going 3 or 4 times. We have come close to losing a few ee's due to their comput to work, due to the high price of gas.
  • Filled up the ole yellow beast after work yesterday at $2.849 per gallon. Just a week or two back it was at $3.149 per gallon.
    ...still cheaper than buing individual servings of bottled water (with or without flavoring and added vitamins).
  • We're back down, too. $2.849 this morning.