Sanjaya

Until last week I never had a reason to watch "American Idol". Too much singing.

But all that has been changed by a scrappy kid from Federal Way Washington with the voice of an angel and dreams of hitting the big time.

Ok, not really. The kid can't sing. But America keeps voting for him and keeping him on the show. He has achieved a sort of popstar status without the pesky requirements of any talent or hard work.

Why? Howard Stern believes Sanjayay's success is directly related to his Indian heritage and the millions of workers from India calling in on breaks from their outsourced American jobs.

More likely its the result of support from [url]www.votefortheworst.com[/url] a website devoted to voting for the least qualified American Idol candidate.

True fans of the show are livid. The judges are speechless. Sanjaya is not at all emberassed by the support he has gotten, regardless of the reason, and seems to relish the spotlight. He seems to know that he could go onstage and make "body music" with his armpits and still win.

As a non-American Idol fan, I feel my perspective is fair and balanced. The Sanjaya phenomenon is simply America re-asserting itself over a runaway show. American Idol is a manipulative show. Every season has its "scandals" designed to boost its popularity to a fever pitch. AI is a cash cow that taunts and teases its viewers relentlessly.

Now, the tables have turned. The show is realizing that the true American Idol is ourselves. We love nothing more than building up our heroes only to knock them down again and reassert ourselves firmly as the one and only star of the show.

Comments