What happened to this site?

Where is the banter, the controversy, the fun?

HR can be all of the above and still be informative and professional.

Comments

• 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There's been a bit of a mass exodus to another site set up by one of the members, which is less restrictive regarding content. If you're interested, PM me and I'll pass the info along.
  • I was away for awhile and came back to find a lot of the folks I truly respected and turned to were missing, not necessarily by their own choice. I missed what led to this action. That was sad for me but, with the help of a member, found my way to the other site. Thank you, dear friend.

I have to add I have also seen a lot of nastiness on this site and that is dissappointing for me. Again, I don't know what happened while I was away but can't we at least treat each other with respect?

PS This may be one of my last posts here as I have changed jobs and may not renew my subscription.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-17-05 AT 12:18PM (CST)[/font][br][br] >I was away for awhile and came back to find a
    >lot of the folks I truly respected and turned to
    >were missing, not necessarily by their own
    >choice.

To the best of my knowledge, with the exception of one individual, those that left did so because they wanted to.
  • I too miss the wit and banter and it is a shame that whatever happened happened, and some have left the forum because of it. On the other hand, if we're all honest, we know there have been posts on this forum that have teetered on, if not blatantly crossed the line, in judgement, criticism, and berating of others not seen or met. In this age of electronic communications, there are those that assume they know another or their intent based solely on words printed on a computer screen, and then there are those who hide behind the computer screen as they send off messages that are mean spirited and malicious (not referring anyone in particular other than my own personal experience). I appreciate the forum moderators and their attempts to "keep it clean", and I appreciate the information and experience found on this site. While it has changed in recent weeks, I will continue my subscription and remain a member in spite of it.
  • I, for one, appreciate the new (or renewed?) professionalism of the site. It takes me a lot less time to wade through the posts when they are more on track and there is less personal attacking going on than offering of professional advice (my opinion, only).

This is more of what I signed up for than what I saw in the recent past.
  • Hey, I happen to enjoy both and I'm the person who started the other one ([url]www.thehrforum.net[/url]). This one has a corporate image to uphold and therefore has to censor and police its ranks. Some people enjoy that. The other is one is a little more relaxed. If you want to call bull**** on someone, go ahead. Most people over there appreciate that level of candor. The amazing part is that since it is self policed, we don't suffer from attacks and thread hijackings the way we did over here.

I will continue my MLS membership.

Gene
  • "I will continue my MLS membership." Gene, you are so funny. Of course you will continue paying for your MLS membership. But I predict that you will be banished from posting.
  • As long as he observes the rules, there's no reason Gene should be banned from posting here. Different forums have different rules, just like some pools have lifeguards and some don't.

I would also suspect there could be legal issues involved if he does not receive an advertised benefit promoted as part of his subscription cost. I doubt MLS wants the bad press resulting from that.
  • ....agree with Cheryl S.

If you want some goodhearted banter or controversy -- I don't think anyone would mind if you started some.

Geno
  • Hi guys!

What did I miss? I'll have to do some research. I had to change my "label" from mwild31 to mwild3136. It's now been 6 months since I started my new job and I love it! It was the best decision I ever made. MLS will love it too because I ordered a subscription for this site as well as our other site here in Washington. I'll go and check out Gene's site - maybe not participate - but I'll definitely check it out Gene. It's good to be back!

Mandi
  • Mandi!!

Good to have you back. I, for one, missed you.
  • Hi, Mandi. Good to see you back!
  • Thanks guys! I'm not sure how much I'll be able to participate, but I'll do my darnedest! I went from a single site, non-union manufacturing company of about 101 people to a multi-site, non-union manufacturing company of about 375 people! To say that I've been a little overwhelmed is a considerable understatement.

I have missed you folks so much though and my time away has really demonstrated to me how much I came to depend upon and enjoy my fellow forumanics!
  • Welcome back, Mandi!

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • I'm glad you're back, Mandi! Sounds like you've had some big challenges during your "hiatus" and will probably have some good new stories to share with us.

• I haven't checked this forum for several months. I used to read it every day, and posted occasionally. However, it seemed that I was always running into one of those insulting and contentious threads.

I stopped reading and posting altogether and decided to let my subscriptions lapse. The fact that the county which employs me is nearly a million dollars in the hole this fiscal year helped that decision along. I have been discarding all advertisements and subscription notices from MLS and simply designated all alerts regarding this forum as "spam". This morning I went into the deleted messages looking for something else and what caught my eye? Wage Increases, naturally. (grin)

I think I'll watch quietly from the sidelines for a while and see how it goes. I may have to re-evaluate that subscription.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-29-05 AT 03:50PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I for one highly incourage you to do just that. I also render an apology to anyone of you that felt my postings were out of place. I had an agenda to get the word out to all of you that needed or wanted a better way to process I-9 information and documents, by joining the federal Governments "Basic Pilot Program" for FREE. For that, I began to receive some heated posting and I was not going to let the subscribers with wrong information get away with destroying a great opportunity for all HRs, everywhere. I did go into Hijacking any post that referred to the "Basic Pilot Program" in a negative light, regardless of the content of the thread. Many of you came to me off-line through e-mail and I know you are better off for the activity. I am still available to anyone who wants more information about how to get on-line and validate the information contained in the I-9 form, FOR FREE!!!

May each of you have a blessed evening and a better day tomorrow.

PORK
  • I think I have posted on here twice and I have received some valuable information.

Okay...we are all HR PEOPLE here!

Work it out, Get over it and GO forward!

Enough said we all have work to do and we all need valuable answers to our questions. It makes no difference if we have one forum or two forums.

I like the idea of two ..choices are good and that simply means two places to find information.

Shirley
  • shirley: There many more than two! These two have just been great and easy to enter and FREE, once one bought the otherwise good subscription. The cost is in the time away from the company's business.

PORK
  • Pork,
    I like the employment law publication. I have subscribed for a while but never discovered the site.

I use the SHRM site some and I have a couple of other International HR forums I belong to as I have 6 countries for Payroll and HR.

I am rather busy so I don't have much time to use the forums until I am off work. Then I can hook into my work computer from home and check my forums and emails. I usually do not check from work.

I belong to a ton of Payroll forums and actually answer questions on the APA hotline and write payroll articles.

I am not new to HR, just new to this forum.

Shirley