Cinco de Mayo

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-05-05 AT 09:23AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I am NOT a history buff but I can speak some Spanish; so in order to get some appreciation for the 5 de Mayo celebrations going on at our local Margaritas Restaurant and Watering Hole, I did a web search and came across the following information. [u][url]http://www.vivacincodemayo.org/history.htm[/url][/u]

I quote:
"Mexico declared its independence from mother Spain on midnight, the 15th of September, 1810. And it took 11 years before the first Spanish soldiers were told and forced to leave Mexico.

So, why Cinco de Mayo? And why should Americans savor this day as well? Because 4,000 Mexican soldiers smashed the French and traitor Mexican army of 8,000 at Puebla, Mexico, 100 miles east of Mexico City on the morning of May 5, 1862.

The French had landed in Mexico (along with Spanish and English troops) five months earlier on the pretext of collecting Mexican debts from the newly elected government of democratic President (and Indian) Benito Juarez. The English and Spanish quickly made deals and left. The French, however, had different ideas.

Under Emperor Napoleon III, who detested the United States, the French came to stay. They brought a Hapsburg prince with them to rule the new Mexican empire. His name was Maximilian; his wife, Carolota. Napoleon's French Army had not been defeated in 50 years, and it invaded Mexico with the finest modern equipment and with a newly reconstituted Foreign Legion. The French were not afraid of anyone, especially since the United States was embroiled in its own Civil War.

The French Army left the port of Vera Cruz to attack Mexico City to the west, as the French assumed that the Mexicans would give up should their capital fall to the enemy -- as European countries traditionally did.

Under the command of Texas-born General Zaragosa, (and the cavalry under the command of Colonel Porfirio Diaz, later to be Mexico's president and dictator), the Mexicans awaited. Brightly dressed French Dragoons led the enemy columns. The Mexican Army was less stylish.

General Zaragosa ordered Colonel Diaz to take his cavalry, the best in the world, out to the French flanks. In response, the French did a most stupid thing; they sent their cavalry off to chase Diaz and his men, who proceeded to butcher them. The remaining French infantrymen charged the Mexican defenders through sloppy mud from a thunderstorm and through hundreds of head of stampeding cattle stirred up by Indians armed only with machetes.

When the battle was over, many French were killed or wounded and their cavalry was being chased by Diaz' superb horsemen miles away. The Mexicans had won a great victory that kept Napoleon III from supplying the confederate rebels for another year, allowing the United States to build the greatest army the world had ever seen. This grand army smashed the Confederates at Gettysburg just 14 months after the battle of Puebla, essentially ending the Civil War.

Union forces were then rushed to the Texas/Mexican border under General Phil Sheridan, who made sure that the Mexicans got all the weapons and ammunition they needed to expel the French. American soldiers were discharged with their uniforms and rifles if they promised to join the Mexican Army to fight the French. The American Legion of Honor marched in the Victory Parade in Mexico, City.

It might be a historical stretch to credit the survival of the United States to those brave 4,000 Mexicans who faced an army twice as large in 1862. But who knows?

In gratitude, thousands of Mexicans crossed the border after Pearl Harbor to join the U.S. Armed Forces. As recently as the Persian Gulf War, Mexicans flooded American consulates with phone calls, trying to join up and fight another war for America.

Mexicans, you see, never forget who their friends are, and neither do Americans. That's why Cinco de Mayo is such a party -- A party that celebrates freedom and liberty. There are two ideals which Mexicans and Americans have fought shoulder to shoulder to protect, ever since the 5th of May, 1862. VIVA! el CINCO DE MAYO!!"

Ole'

Comments

• 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Perfect! We are having an International Pot Luck lunch today to celebrate. As you walk through the building, all the different smells tell me we are in for a great time.
  • I hope you'll tell your employees to wait for the Tequila until they're safely off company property.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 05-05-05 AT 10:13AM (CST)[/font][br][br]You have not experienced a party, in my opinion, and I've been to all the "major" ones like New Year's in NYC, Mardi Gras in N'oleans, collegiate debacles in Cancun, Daytona and Lauderdale, Bike Week in Daytona, etc, etc, etc, until you experience September 16 in Mexico City at the Zocalo, which is the city square smack in the center of Mexico City.

On this date, as HRinNH pointed-out, Mexico delcared it's independence. It is customary for the president to appear around midnight on a balcony and recite the following to the masses who have been drinking, partying, etc for the past day or so:

“Viva la democracia y la libertad, viva la concordia y la solidaridad, viva la unidad de los Mexicanos, viva la Patria, viva México”

Which translates to (roughly):

"Long live democarcy and liberty, solidarity and harmony, long live the unity of Mexicans, long live the homeland, long live Mexico!"

As soon as the last word is spoken, the crowd goes absolutely wild. You can feel it in your bones. Then, the entire party resumes. Picture a block party, except the block comprises an entire city of 9.5 million people.

Gene

Edit:

Sorry, I forgot to add that the speech the president makes, is the same one that was made by Miguel Hidalgo in San Miguel Allende on September 16, 1810.

The tradition is also carried out in every town and municiplaity throughout Mexico, be it by the president, the mayor, town chief, or self proclaimed jefe.

• I notice neither of you mentioned condoms. Are they available by the truckload?
  • Just have to add. The Mexican Revolution started in the area where we are going to live part time - Guanajuato. The first battle of the revolution was there. The Spanish holed up in the Alhondiga de Granaditas - Granary - and were defeated when a soldier strapped stone on his back to deflect the bullets and burned the wooden door at the entrance. There is a huge statue of the soldier - El Pipila - which overlooks the city. Unfortunately, Hidalgo, Allende and the two other leaders were caught and their heads were hung in containers at the four corners of the building and were there for several years. It took several more years for the Mexicans to finally overthrow the Spanish. Today the Alhondiga is a wonderful museum and there is a section where eternal flames burn by sculptures of the four heads of the leaders. Que bueno!
  • Hola....senors and senoritas...

I'm having mucho margaritas for dinner tonight...

I've been in search of the best margarita for a few years...I've had a few now...but one that ranks right up there with Jimmy's is the watermelon margaritas at Texas Roadhouse restaurants...ooooooh my....almost as good as Applebee's Blonde brownies!

There use to be a restaurant/bar/club locally that had banana margaritas that came in a glass as big as your face...ya know a two hander drink...lordy...I consumed many of those...in my younger days.
  • I'm joining a couple girlfriends after work tonight at Cactus Jacks to celebrate birthdays. Mine's not for another month so we'll just have to do it all again then. I've heard they have a good Tropical Margarita...maybe I'll have to try it for myself. =P~
  • Dos Equis for me! With the night all planned out...

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/party5.gif[/IMG]

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • "Dos Equis" (2 X's)...Is that the name of the restaurant or the rating on your evening plans???
  • HRinNH it's Imported beer.
  • oh x:-8 I feel silly now...thanks!
  • Hey, if you really want to 'feel' silly go and get a six pac of it and bottoms up until gone!
  • Nah, I can be silly enough without it.

Hey, G, are you still meeting us in San Diego in a couple of weeks? East meets West...what a trip!
  • Actually New Hampsters and Vermonters are real close politically, philosophically and morally to San Franciscans, San Diegans and Mexifornians in general. This will be a real fuzzy gathering. Maybe G can get you into the mayor's office for a group snapshot. x:-) If you ever venture down this way, I promise to do the same.
  • beer... but I like the way you think...

http://deephousepage.com/smilies/alc.gif[/IMG]

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • Well, I hesitate to do this because it is usually less astute forum participants who kick off the female/male thing - but, this is a GRAMMAR LESSON. You are having muchas margaritas. In Spanish gender is attributed to nouns -"o" for male and "a" for female and adjectives have endings to correlate. The "s" is because you are having many margaritas and there is a correlation there as well, although after you have drunk them all you won't care.

There are exceptions - the most notable being "el problema" meaning I guess that problems are primarily a female thing. Remember, this is just a GRAMMAR LESSON.
  • Cute, G, really cute. Spanish is almost as messed up as English is.
  • Very cute lessons indeed. I have a lesson for everyone. Follow my directions very carefully:

1-Go to a reputable purveyor of fine spirits.

2-Ask for a bottle of Patron Silver tequila. Expect to pay about $75 per bottle.

3-Go home and indulge in the best tequila known to mankind. Well, almost. The best stuff is usually not sold in the market, but rather saved by the distiller as "reserva de familia" or "family reserve" and given to the family, friends, politicians or anyone else who needs a "mordida" (bribe) x}>

Be afraid, very afraid of stuff like Jose Cuervo or Sauza. This stuff is garbage. It is 2nd rate tequila that gets blended at a 51/49 ratio in the states with grain alcohol.

Gene

• I've never known a 'FRIEND OF BILLS' to actually give out drinking lessons. Isn't the 9th step a responsibility to reform the masses, pray their souls out of hell and lift them out of their squalor? x:-)
  • Close, the 9th step is where we "made direct amends to such people wherever possible except when to do so would injure them or others".

I think you may be referring to step 12 where "having had a spiritual awakening as a result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs."

We don't preach or pontificate. It is a program based on attraction rather than promotion. Also, you'll never hear one of us make a diagnosis.

So, to answer your question, yes, this friend of Bill advocates drinking to excess if it's not a problem in your life. My daughter is allergic to orange juice, but the rest of us sure as hell drink it!

If you were just a wee bit closer to the Volunteer State I would take you out for a bucket of Corona's and some ostiones crudos con limon y tabasco (raw oysters with lime juice and tabasco). Mineral water for me:)

Gene
  • While visiting lovely Puerto Vallarta last year, we took a little side tour to learn how tequila is made. If my memory serves me correctly, the best tequila is made from the Blue Agave plant and never, I mean never, has a worm or scorpion in the bottle.

Cheryl C.
  • OK. Let's review. How many of you celebrants actually remembered to take two Alka Seltzers before retiring this morning? (That will usually diminish the effects). You're probably all still sleeping in.
  • I had my blender of margaritas...or is it margaritos (who the knows at this point). Yes I said blender. I refrained from using a glass, hell I was the only one drinking them so I rubbed the lime around the rim of the blender salted it up...shoved a straw in it...did a mexican hat dance...and shazam....instant paaaartayyyyy. No I didn't take any Alka Seltzer, that would make me revisit what I consumed last night. Instead in about 8 hours, I'll have hair of the dog.
  • Now that's a Drink! The idea with the Alka Seltzer is to drink two right before you tumble across the bed. Put them in warm water, not cold. It's miraculous.