TheHardest Thing

This past Sunday I had to do one of the hardest things a parent ever has to do. I had to tell my 8 yr old daughter I had to put her cat down 6 days before Christmas without her getting to say good bye. I watched her melt in front of me and cry like I've never experienced.

I struggled with the decision in the vets office, but they couldn't promise me that after spending a minimum of $1500 dollars that the cat would live (it had some kind of infection). I didn't even know the cat was sick until Sunday, which makes me feel even worse.

Shelby wanted to see her cat before we buried her, she petted her and kissed her goodbye and then the realization set in that she wasn't coming back and we all cried. It was very hard for me to watch my baby bury her cat (she choose to do it, my husband dug the grave but my daughter put her in and covered her up). She said a prayer and said she loved her and would miss her and that she was sorry she couldn't hold her any more. I had to walk away at that point.

I know that life deals us some sucky cards...but this was just about all I could handle. In the last month my poor daughter has changed schools mid year (we moved) and now her cat died. She has had a really sh**ty month too.

But on the upside, my husband and I decided that she couldn't be without a commpanion cat so we adopted a 7 week old kitten. It is one of my daughters Christmas presents. Shelby promptly advised us that this kitten did not take the place of her old one but she would love it just about as much. She then went to the grave and told the old cat all about her new kitten...crying the entire time.

Did I say I don't want to be a parent any more??

I just had to get that off my chest...it's been a heavy burden for a few days now and I knew I could share it with you guys.

Comments

• 15 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It's too bad there isn't a better place to post this, what a heartbreaking story but, that was a great ending with your Christmas gift of a new pet!

HRGirl, please see the personal note I just sent to you and have a safe Christmas.
  • You have my sincerest sympathy at the passing of your cat. I had to have my 17 year old cat put to sleep on October 1, it was indeed a very sad time. Cat had been my my "savior" during my divorce and break down 10 years ago, she took part of my heart with her. You're probably familiar with Rainbow Bridge but here is a friendly reminder for you and your daughter, I think of Cat at Rainbow Bridge and I smile.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
    When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
    They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• JudyT, thanks for that, I had never heard of this and it gave me a shiver as I read it. I think every pet owner/lover can relate to the loss felt when a pet departs for whatever reason.
  • HR Girl: So sorry for the loss of your child's pet. It's amazing how much a part of our family our pets become. We had to put down our beautiful golden retriever about 2 years ago. It was so painful my husband and I swore we would never have another dog. About 6 months later a hound showed up in the parking lot at work. He was literally skin and bones, bore scars of being hit with a belt or something similar and was so weak he could hardly stand. You guessed it: I called my husband, we took him home and named him Hank. The vet said he had heartworms and his front teeth were worn down from chewing on rocks looking for food. Long story short: He was successfully treated for heart worms, we fed him and built him up and he is (to us) the most beautiful dog on earth. What a loyal companion he turned out to be. Our grandkids and the whole family love him. He was truly a gift to us and a reminder that while we can't save every animal in the world, we can at least help one.
  • Over the years, especially over the past three, I've drawn a lot of comfort from thinking about the Rainbow Bridge. There'll be a large entourage waiting for me when I get there. In the meantime, I'm especially grateful this Christmas that by some miracle I've still got my current best girl, Flossy, here on earth with me. Flossy was diagnosed with cancer three months ago and was not expected to live long. No one knows why, but as of now she is the picture of health; all symptoms have disappeared. I think that Somebody Up There knew that I couldn't take any more loss right now, but when the time comes, I know that Flossy will join Jackson, Bess, Hildy, Clara, Binki, and Katy at the Bridge and wait for me there.
  • So much for makeup today. HRGirl, I feel your pain. We put our 15 year old Australian Shepard down in August because of cancer. It was one of the hardest things I have ever done. x:'( You have a very strong little girl and you should be proud of the way she handled this.
  • These things are hard - the good news is that we outlive our pets, but it brings a measure of pain. Fortunately, the joy and memories can sustain you right through it. Putting a pet down when it is time to do so is very difficult, but it is the right thing to do.

You will likely carry this memory forever, as will your daughter. She sounds like a well-balanced child with a wonderful big heart. These things make us stronger and help build character that helps us handle life.

Stay strong.
  • My husband and I bought a house in 2001, and we had my cat Nicky declawed - his nickname was "the Shredder" - the anesthesia combined with his age (5 yrs) led to kidney failure. You want to talk about guilt?! My husband buried Nicky for me after over $800 in vet bills and my unnecessarily prolonging the cat's pain. I still puddle up when I think of that cat or pass his grave. I should've put that cat down immediately, before he suffered, so I learned about letting go and selfishness the hard way.
    You did the right thing, however painful, and your child sounds wonderfully sensitive and tender-hearted. Love that new kitty with all your might and take comfort in knowing you put the pet's needs before your own. Have a restful Christmas and recharge!
    Linda
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-22-04 AT 05:38PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Know that you're not alone. I had to make the decision to put our family dog Boots down five years ago this month. Soon after that, God sent a visitor to our house on a regular basis, Bear, a large black lab who was as well trained and sweet as the day was long. My profile says I'm teaching her to sing and drive a truck. She wore a shock collar and was well manicured and I suppose visiting us made the shock worthwhile. Her visits became more frequent and lately she enjoyed three meals most days courtesy of our leftovers and steak bones. She brought me the paper every morning before five. She met me when I came home at lunch and somehow arrived just after supper most nites. She became part of the family and eased our minds about Boots, I guess. Two weeks ago she and I shared a ribeye. The next morning as I pulled out onto the road I found her, cold and hard. I went to her house and got the family up and brought her to them on my tailgate. I put a small white cross up right there with four colored Christmas balls hung on it. I don't go out the door that I don't expect her wagging tail to slam up against the car door and I'm learning to get my own paper again.

I lost a dog when I was 12, another at 21 and another at 31. Now Bear. I don't know that it ever got easier.

Be sure to mark your cat's grave somehow, perhaps discreetly. It'll be important ten years from now for all of you.
  • This is all very touching. I'm at my desk with tears in my eyes and it's only 7:15!

Now, Don, according to your post, you had to put Boots down five years ago, however, later in your post you mention the last dog you lost (prior to Bear) was at 31. This would make you approximately 36, correct? Hot damn! I didn't know we were that close in age :)

Gene
  • The three prior to Boots had my age listed. Boots was 5 years ago. I forget the age.
  • I share your pain. Pets teach us so much, they are often "responsible" for the first time a child has to learn about illness, injury, and death. We have a dog, black lab/border collie/mutt, who is definitely not a real dog, she must be part human. Can't imagine life without her. She is now 12, have had her for 10 years. My hubby told me that when she goes I'll have to be the one to bury her because he won't be able to - and this is a big strong guy, survived Nam, rides a motorcycle, had done autopsies, etc. It's never easy. I'm glad you got her the kitten, it sounds like it was a good move and will help her heal. She sounds like she's a pretty mature child too, able to understand that the kitten won't replace her cat, but that she can still love the kitten. Take comfort in the little things.

• My friend Eli passed away a few weeks ago. I can't stop missing him. My nest emptied by two-thirds this year as two children moved & my third child is a social butterfly so I've been learning to spend more time alone. Eli listened to me complain and kept me company. When a fellow broke my heart, Eli comforted me and never left me. He was always happy to see me and wanted to hang out - He put up with my singing voice - we loved to get in the car and drive for hours - his head resting on my shoulder. He protected me from strangers. If I was too preoccupied with my thoughts, he would give me a nudge and let me know that it was time to do something else. When I was sick, he would lay with his head on my lap and just be there -not asking for anything.

Eli was my Great Pyrenees and one of my dearest companions. I may have saved him from the pound, but he saved me, too. It would be silly to say that I ever walked this dog - he weighed as much as me - instead I guess we walked each other. He had been a ranch dog, not ever really in a house before, not socialized around people much before his previous owner became ill and gave him up. He hadn't been groomed in well over a year when I got him. I spent days cutting away matted fur brushing, combing, clipping, we spent the time getting to know each other and trust each other. When we were done with the grooming we each had a new friend. I miss my friend terribly - his leash hangs from a peg by my door, ready for another walk - I can't give it away or put it away. I feel so lucky to have had the companionship of this great big gentle bear of a dog. Someday I may get another dog, but I know there will never be another Eli.
  • Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I was amazed at how well my daughter handled the situation after the initial shock wore off. In fact, she handled it much better than I did. I guess I still see her in diapers and a binkie and not as a young lady.

As an update the new kitty has wormed her way into everyones heart. We all have the battle wounds. Don't dare move your feet or hands and oh don't wear your hair in a ponytail or you might end up with a kitten hanging from your back by all four.

Shelby has marked her old cats grave and visits it every once in a while, just to share a few stories about the new kitten and to tell her that she misses her. Besides that Shelby is coping much better with the loss than I am. I still cry but I know that I made the best decision for the cat....and to think I wanted to be a Vet when I grew up. Good thing I didn't, I'd be a mess.

• All these stories have brought a lump to my throat. I lost one of my Yorkies a couple of months ago, but thankfully, I still have his brother.

My husband, God Bless him, took care of all the final details. Thankfully, my baby passed away peacefully and quickly and we didn't have to make the horrendous decision to put him down.

We had his ashes brought home and all his little possessions put into a memory box. It's somehow oddly comforting to know that a piece of him is still with us.

I think there is a once in a lifetime pet and my little Pashama was that one...not to say that I won't get another one...but it won't be a replacement...it will be an addition. I believe that's probably the only way to heal a broken heart....to share whatever love you have with another little pup.

Ah, the price of great love is great grief!