Kerry's Military Discharge

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-21-04 AT 02:53PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Unlike McCain, Bush, and Gore, Kerry has adamantly refused to authorize the release of hismilitary records. Most think it's because of his phony battle medals. I think the real reason is he was not granted an Honorable Discharge until March 2001, almost 30 years after his ostensible service term had ended!

This is very much out of the ordinary, and highly suspect. There are 5 classes of discharge: Honorable, General, Other Than Honorable, Bad
Conduct,and Dishonorable. My guess is that he was Discharged in the '70s, but not Honorably. He appealed this sometime while Clinton was doing
trouser-tricks in the Oval Office. Political pressure was applied, and the Honorable Discharge was then granted.

His file is probably rife with reports of this, submissions and hearings on the appeal, reports of his "giving aid and comfort" to the enemy, along with protests that were filed with respect to his alleged valor under fire.

Otherwise, why would he refuse to let his record be released and published? Oh, I forgot; things that happened 35 years ago don't matter today. Sorry I brought it up.

Let me give credit where credit is due. This came to me at noon from a retired Colonel here in my town who had a command until recently. I have no idea as to its authenticity, much like all of the allegations that are being made by both sides. But, it is at least as worth of consideration and investigation as the comment about Bush's girlfriend's abortion, don't we think?

Notwithstanding TN HR's comments, what do we think might be the reasons that Kerry has steadfastly refused publication of his military record and discharge document?

Comments

• 35 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don,

I am not necessarily a Kerry fan, however, your post appeared strange. I say that because it was my personal experience during military service that officers usually did not receive anything less than honorable unless there was actual UCMJ (uniform code of military justice) and/or court martial actions in conjunction with their separation from the service.

Furthermore, I can't imagine someone leaving the military without a characterization of service (what you refer to as type of discharge). In any event, a quick google search yielded the following results:

[url]http://www.johnkerry.com/pdf/jkmilservice/DD214.pdf[/url]

Both of his DD214's show honorable discharges.
  • I looked at the sight you mentioned. It is only showing his discharge from enlisted status right before attending Officer school. There is only 4 months of service listed, one school attended and no duty positions served in remarks section. The date of the discharge was 1966 not in the 70's as it would be if it included his time served during Vietnam.

So, the document does not show his service during Vietnam.
  • >I looked at the sight you mentioned. It is only
    >showing his discharge from enlisted status right
    >before attending Officer school. There is only
    >4 months of service listed, one school attended
    >and no duty positions served in remarks section.
    > The date of the discharge was 1966 not in the
    >70's as it would be if it included his time
    >served during Vietnam.
    >
    >So, the document does not show his service
    >during Vietnam.

Surely you haven't forgotten about attention to detail x}>

Keep scrolling..........
  • The only reply to this that seemed appropriate to me are some lyrics from an Eagles song...

I turn on the tube and what do I see A whole lotta people cryin' 'Don't blame me' They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else Spend all their time feelin' sorry for themselves Get over it Get over it All this whinin' and cryin' and pitchin' a fit Get over it, get over it

• I think, I guess, maybe, trouser tricks (while balancing the budget). It is either all bad or you "think" it is all bad?
  • I vote for Celeste and Judy. For head of the ACLU and Amnesty International, respectively. x:-)
  • xhugs

And all this mouth I have - coming from a Republican at that.
  • Gee Thanks! Don. I guess if I could forgive my lying cheating ex husband (just enough to let him buy me a house mind you...) then I can forgive anyone. HA!
  • A view of his DD214 should put this ridiculous rumor to rest. One should dwell on the fact that he did serve in the war zone, in a very hazardous capacity.
    As far as siding the enemy, we should be thankful that he spoke up against a war that devestated this country. Have the courage to admit that he was right - Vietnam was a mistake.
    Compare his service with that of Airman Bush. Look at his record.
    With that being said, let's bring them home from Iraq also.
  • Looks like Don had as much evidence of Kerry's discharge as I had about Bush's girlfriend and her abortion! Let's hope that rights of free speech, freedom of the press and civil rights will endure for us all. But I am worried.

• mrbill:

We can't compare Bush's military records to Kerry's since Kerry won't authorize their disclosure. As far as I can tell, he is the only politician of note that refuses to release his military records.

Bush's entire military career (as limited as it was) is under intense scrutiny. Following his return from Vietnam, what did Kerry do for the last several years of his six year commitment? At the time of Kerry's enlistment he had one of three basic options to follow: 1. Enlist and serve a four year active duty tour and two year reserve duty commitment, 2. Get drafted and serve a two year active tour and four year reserve commitment, or 3. Get accepted into a Guard or Reserve unit. Bush obviously took option three. Kerry supposedly took option one. Bush's less than great record is on the table for all to see. What did Kerry do to complete his service? You can't answer that because Kerry won't release his records. He served less than three years of a 4-6 year obligation. Bush also served less than his full obligation, but the reasons for that (whether we agree with them or not) are public record. Common sense says that if Kerry's records didn't contain some less than honorable data then Kerry would want them released just to put this issue to rest if for no other reason.

On a related issue, it's interesting how the media has scrutinized every minute of Bush's military service, but has ignored most of Kerry's service. In fact the media has ignored or not published any info on Kerry other than the info Kerry has asked them to publish, i.e., his three Purple Hearts, none of which required even a visit to a hospital. (A very lucky soldier??) How and when did Kerry fulfill his military obligations? Where and to whom did he report? We know the answers to all of these questions regarding President Bush. We don't know the answers to any of these questions in regards to Sen Kerry and what's really sad is that so many Kerry supporters don't seem to care!

I'm not a big Bush fan as you probably derive from my post, but I will vote for Bush primarily because I feel I can trust him and I honestly don't trust Kerry. I can accept mistakes. I can't accept dishonestly and a lack of integrity. If I had my way Colin Powell would have been elected President in 1996. Like him or not, I don't think there's a more honest or trusted politician in America and as I see it, honesty and trust is what this election has come down to. Bush wins on this issue if for no other reason.

Sorry about the length of this post. I quess, like everyone else, I'm more concerned about this election than any I've ever voted in and I'm 58.
  • I guess I need a Secret Code-Ring to understand what Irene, Celeste and Judy are trying to say. Or maybe just a different kind of smoke. And Mr. Bill is lost in the 60s again. Kerry's activities in the early 70s bordered on being a traitor, by definition. That's why his discharge papers were ultimately delayed for years and his picture hung in the North Viet Nam War Rooms.

This argument is not about the wisdom of the Viet Nam war, Bill. I felt it was insane as well. But, I welcomed home several friends who were shot up and buried several others who probably, with their last breath, wondered why the f*** they were shot. Kerry was a chicken sh** with his theatrical reaction to that war. Now he attempts to spin it all in his favor. It won't work.
  • How can someone be successful in HR when they can't seem to accept, and they put down, others opinions? Remember:

"Opinions are like a**holes, everyone has one."
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-22-04 AT 09:47AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I didn't put your opinion down. I said I didn't understand what you were trying to say. I was having a difficult time relating this discussion to comments about your husband buying you a house and that lovely rendition of the Eagles song. Aren't you the same one who said I have a personal agenda because of my opinions on Kerry? Talk about a putdown.
  • Posts 10 & 11 above are the most important ones in this discussion, I feel. I call your attention to them since they are sort of out of order and you might miss them. Both of them pose interesting questions to which Mr. Kerry and his supporters feel we have no right to have answers.
  • Whether Kerry almost died from his injuries or the were mere lacerations and bruises. Can you imagine what it must have been like to sleep, eat and run amid gun fire. At the same time watch your friends dying for a cause you didn't believe in.
    And just for the record Don, you really do put down everyone's opinion that isn't the same as yours.
  • Maybe Kerry should have thought of that before he went to Congress when men were still fighting in Viet Nam and POW's were still being tortured.

Do you realize that due to Kerry and OTHERS the war was extended by at least 1yr. Can you imagine how many soldiers died during that time fathers, brothers, sons, uncles, husbands, friends. I am not saying we should have been there in the first place BUT once we are don't give the enemy a boost in moral by seeing dissent in America. No problem to do so but wait until after ALL soldiers have returned home.

In 1985 a high ranking general for Viet Nam stated that Hanoi would have fallen if it wasn't for the protesting here in America and that is why they have a picture of Kerry in the Vietnam War Museum.

Did you also know that POW's were told by their captures that they were considered war criminals and they would be played tapes of Kerry speaking to Congress during their captivity which lastest for some over 5 yrs? OVER 70 POW's Recognizing Kerry's voice from the tapes to the man who wants to be President.

Can you imagine how the Vietnam Veterans must feel? To come home from a war and be spit on, afraid to wear their uniforms in public. Can you imagine? Maybe you should talk to some of them and find out what they think of Kerry.

JMO,
    Lisa

• Cel, have you heard the expression, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"? A put down, as you refer to it, is only when you take offense at someone whose opinion is different than yours.

For the record???? Are you serious?
  • Unfortunately, the posts following my orignal response to Don's comment are the reason this particular election is the most disjointed and convoluted scene in recent history.

People will work hard, very hard, on either side, to try and discredit the opponent with nonsense totally unrelated to the issue at hand. Forget the fact that it doesn't stand the common sense test!

I may not care for Kerry and I may not vote for Bush (how's that for non-partisan), but the fact is that his friggin' DD214 is posted on his website for cryin' out loud! What part of that is "refusing to release discharge papers or service records"? Are you wanting to see charts on the results and/or observations made during his prostate and hernia exams?

So he had a two year service remaining obligation after active duty, big deal! So did I, I spent it in the individual ready reserve! Sorry guys, there is NOTHING to prove what I did in the individual ready reserve not because I am hiding something but because it doesn't mean ANYTHING! It's a friggin' paper, a list, a status if you will. It just means you can be recalled up until that date!

Sorry for my rant but this is what infuriates me about this election! Everyone is wrapped around the axle discussing missing documents, service dates, girlfriend abortions, etc and the real issues are not even being discussed. I guess that when you remove all of the Jerry Springer sensationalism you're left with two fairly boring individuals.

Gene

• Gene,

You're right but unfortunately due to all the media hype and because there is no clear choice you have to disect everything about both of the choices.

My feeling is citizens should have more choices than just 2 people/parties for this very powerful position but I am only one person. Although we have others running none are considered a threat to the main candidates only spoilers.

Can't wait until November 3rd. then we will live with the outcome for 4 yrs and do it all over again. Yippeee
  • If only November 3rd would really be the end. It's quite obvious that neither side will let this election end on November 3rd. Both parties have already made it clear that the next stop in this process will be the courts.
  • Serious about what??????????? Read all the statements. Some are strong in belief and rather opinionated and others are just simply rude and nasty. Now you can tell me to lighten up but I have read things in the last few days here that have quite honestly shocked me. Read the posts ritaanz, Judy told Don he puts people down and I agree. So when did I take offense at someone that had an oppinion that differed from mine. We are all divided between the two sides. I have my oppinion and you have yours. I am and will always be anti-war and can't for the life of me imagine why everyone isn't. After 9/11 we went to war for the right reasons. Then Bush couldn't fess up and tell the American people that he had failed to accomplish what everyone wanted so badly so he headed straight for Iraq. This war is senseless. Tell all this crap to parents that have lost a child in this war. I have heard people argue politics before but this is all getting below the belt. I too am taking this election more serious than any other but some act like you are a traitor if you don't just LOVE George W. Bush. Give me a break - he lied on National TV when he denied saying he wasn't worried about Bin Laden anymore. He said it. I saw it and so did millions of other people. All I know is that I will be glad when this election is over and I can just pop in and ask ALL of you how your weekend was.
    Gene - thanks for your help!
  • Hey Cel:
    Wow! Talk about blasting someone. You did better than Don or I could have ever done.

I hope you didn't go home and kick the dog.
  • I told you I hate arguing. I am one of those people that really lets my opinion be known after a few times of trying to explain in a quiet way. I don't mean to put anyone down. At the same time, I don't want to be put down for my belief either - even if you think it is wrong, it is what I believe.
    No, I didn't kick my dog. I have 4 dogs and I was actually so tired that I went home and cuddled up with them for a nap. See, I'm not all bad! xI-)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 10-23-04 AT 09:25AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Notwithstanding TN HR's feelings that the fuzzy copy of the DD214 on the internet is legitimate, the question still remains as to why he will not release his records, his entire service records, everything in his file. I'm not interested in a prostate or hernia report. But, if Bush's physical and dental appointment records are being scrutinized, should not Kerry's file be open to inspection as well? And if not, why not? The allegation that his discharge was 'upgraded' to 'honorable' in the past four years is still on the table.

Being against a war is one thing. Giving comfort to the enemy is another. But, my judgement ability has certainly changed since 1971, so I have to assume his has as well. Not very many of us would want to be judged totally on our 1970s behavior, would we? Well, with the exception of Ray, who has always been a saint. x:-)
  • Today I read a magazine editorial, the basic premise of which was: Bush is the commander-in-chief and Kerry wants to be the commander-in-chief, so how about we get off this carping about who did or didn't do what in a war that's been over for 30 years and talk about the war we're in NOW? The piece was neither pro-Bush nor pro-Kerry, but it did mention that a recent report documented that Kerry still has shrapnel in his leg. Now, I don't know how serious that is; might be no big deal. And even if Kerry had lost a leg, it certainly wouldn't compare to the personal sacrifice made by President Bush, who evidently donated his brain to science before he was done with it. The point is, let's get on with it, shall we?
  • Whirlwind, I think you're absolutely right. It seems as if we feel the need to make arguments about other things in the past because we really don't have enough information about the REAL things, like what is really going on in Iraq and what is to happen there. Continually I wonder about really smart friends who support Bush. How can this be? There are election process issues/problems in my state, and in others and I have to wonder why these things never happened before election 2000.
  • I agree, like suddenly the number of people registered to vote in some "Democrat" counties in Ohio actually exceeding the number of eligible voters in those counties. As a contemporary of mine once opined when he discovered his whiskey bottle had been poured out, "Somethins gott be did 'bout this!"

Oh, and as to the continual discussion of the subject of Kerry's record and discharge, WWind, that just happens to be the title of this particular thread, so what we're actually doing, girls, is staying on point.

And that's not shrapnel the x-ray reveals in Kerry's leg. That's a chip Theresa had put there to track him. Wait, I must be quiet and listen..right now (Sunday 11:30) on Fox he's speaking to a black AME church in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, sort of pulpit politics in the house of God. Maybe this will count as the congregation's spiritual message for this week. What was that vague IRS regulation about a church losing its tax exempt status if it makes political endorsements?
  • "What was that vague IRS regulation about a church losing its tax exempt status if it makes political endorsements?"

Said with all seriousness - that law applies only to consevative churches. Liberal churches for some reason are exempt from the law, they are allowed impunity by groups such as the ACLU and others of their ilk as long as their political speech is of a liberal bent. For the past several weeks there have been 'spies', particularly in the midwest, who have been attending churches with the intent of catching them in the act of political speech - problem is, they are only concerned about the churches whose political speech is conservative in nature - liberals are allowed to say whatever they want. Then these churches are "turned in" for their illegal political activity and they become subject to lose their tax exempt status. Shades of Communist USSR - and it is happening right here in the good ole USA.
  • Don, thanks for your information. I have asked and asked many people (including Kerry supporters, Bush supporters and independents) about how long Kerry served, where did he go to OCS, was he in ROTC, was he drafted or enlisted, etc.? All I have been able to get out of anyone is that he was in VietNam for 4 months.

I talked with my 2 cousins one of which is a retired Col. in Army and the other is the son of Bridger Gen in Marines (All 3 of which served in Viet Nam),my Father who was a POW in WWII, my newphew who was in the Navy in Dessert Storm, and my sister whose boyfriend was killed in Viet Nam. Not one of them had ever heard of the "excuse" Kerry used to "get out of Viet Nam". (2 of these 3 were wounded in Viet Nam more than once and have purple hearts etc.) I guess you can say Kerry was a smart cookie and was planning his election even back then. Also, none of them can discuss Kerry's military background other than what Kerry has released about his purple hearts, 4 months in Vietnam, and his "wounds". (My sister who is a BIG Kerry lover, didn't even know he just served 4 yrs. in Viet Nam. I don't know what rock she has been hiding under. Three of these are for Kerry, 2 for Bush.)
    I too am not in favor of war to solve problems, but sometimes it is inevitable.
    I just don't trust someone who wears his "military career" on his sleeve, especially when he won't even tell us the truth about what it truly was. If he is so proud of what he did in Vietnam (and those that served should be proud of themselves and their sacrifices), why won't he tell us his entire story and release his military history.

E Wart