The End of the World

Lately for some reason my wife and I have been watching documentaries about the end of the world. Its interesting to note that so many "prophets of doom" throughout the centuries have identified the turn of the milennium as the beginning of "The End".

Edgar Cayce, Nostradamus, St.Malachy, the Garabandal appiritions, Biblical prophecy, and so on... All point to a cataclysmic end of the world as we know it. Some point specifically to the period between 1999 and 2010.

Did you know that Switzerland has built an underground facility capable of housing 20,000 people in the event of a nuclear holocaust?

When your day to day life is filled with mortgage payments, soccer practices, and grocery shopping its tough to wrap your brain around such speculative theories. But all of the information and even some of the current events around the world does make one stop and ponder...

So here is an informal survey. How many of you believe its highly possible that the world will end in the next 10 years, 20 years, etc? How many of you think this is total hogwash and life will continue on as it has for thousands of years of recorded history? How many of you don't care less?

Comments

• 46 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Don't care. It's a waste of time worrying or thinking about it. I just concentrate on doing my little part to keep it going. I must admit there are times when I question why I brought children into this world. Then I hear them laugh or see them smile and it all goes away.
  • I am surprised the World has not ended yet - with all the bad news going on , perhaps it is GOD in His Infinite Mercy - just giving Mankind more time to get its act together.

Chari
    [email]calter@iopener.net[/email]
  • Yep, I weigh in on the side of "don't know, don't care"...couldn't do anything about it anyway...Would be nice to get a heads up though so I could make sure my nails are polished, the bed is made and my house is in order x:-8
  • At any particular time, there are 5,321,957 doomsayers in the world. Even after the end of World War II and after the end of the Cold War, there were 5,321,957 doomsayers.

So, Repent Now! The End of Unrestricted HRHero is Nigh!
  • I don't buy into the world ending. I wonder if the Dinosaur doomsters predicted their end after upteen thousand or million years being the dominant life form? Nature will find a way even if man is not around to appreciate it.
  • I believe the world as we know it today, could conceivably end within the next 10 to 20 years. I would not be so rash to characterize it as "highly" probable, though. Modern day prophets of doom are notoriously wrong in their predictions when setting specific dates. Of course, following end-time theology, there are the 7 years Tribulation, then the 1000 year reign. So the earth will be around in one form or another for at least 1007 years.
  • Serious question first, then my observations: I'm a little rusty on my Bible - what follows the 1000 year reign? x:-8

Now for an observation: I think it will happen whenever He wants it to happen. People were beating their chests and gnashing their teeth about the world coming to an end in 999 and in 1999 - maybe they will be in 2999. The Second Coming has kept us waiting for almost 2000 years and even something in the scriptures say that no man will know the time.

So put me down in the camp of don't care when because there's nothing I could do about it anyway.
  • I don't give it a thought, except for the one to respond to your post.
  • Most forms of life and ways of life existed for millions or year as Marc noted. We however had upped the ante with our technology so who knows. I'm with what's the point, I don't think we can change what will be. But I always wonder if that happens, will there be some new life created that is more or less advanced than we are. It always boggles my mind what the universe may hold and I will never know it.
  • I understand the view point "I can't do anything about it so I don't care." Probably the vast majority of people would fall in that camp.

For me, I am curious by nature and always trying to figure out things.

Maybe I am just looking for a way out of all this paperwork on my desk...
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-12-04 AT 06:11PM (CST)[/font][br][br]In response to Beagle, after the 1000 years, this old earth is destroyed and a new Heaven & New Earth created. So enjoy the next 1,007 or 10,007 whatever it might be.

On the lighter side, the sooner the better, I'm getting tired or paying my bills! And with the plethora of HR laws, I'm getting tired of trying to make sense of it all and keeping everybody straight.(:|
  • I'm in the camp of everything eventually comes to an end. When, I don't know. Seems like wherever you look in history, you'll always run across groups that think it's the end of times.

Paul, have you read the Left Behind series? It's pretty good, even if I don't necessarily agree with it. You might find a little comfort there. x:-)
  • I don't know when it will happen, just know that when it does, there will be four life forms or organic substances left behind: fire ants, roaches, grackles, and the stuff that comes off a dog's nose and goes onto your car windows. (And, by the way, the person who finds an industrial use for that latter substance will be rich indeed.)
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-12-04 AT 09:14PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Guess I'll delete my response to this thread. Can't do anything but cause me a hassle from the forum police.
  • Oh come on Don, the Forum world will end soon. Who cares about those Forum police? I know a good lawyer.
  • These profits of doom are full of hooey. Their supporters wait until something happens and then they look for some cryptic language by Nostradamus where he "predicted" it. Same with the Biblical Code. If they really think the world will end soon, then they should give me all their money, since they won't be needing it.

What really facinates me are the natural catastrophes that have happened in the past and surely will happen again, like ice ages, a comet hitting the Earth, or a volcanic eruption in Yellowstone Park that makes Mount St. Helens look like a firecracker. They might not happen for hundreds of thousands or millions of years, or maybe a lot sooner. It's really awesome in the truest sense of the word.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • >These profits of doom are full of hooey.

Can I quote you on that, James? Is "hooey" a technical term? x;-)

Seriously, I find I must agree with you, generally. But there is this nagging little voice in the back of my head...

Not so sure that Nostradamus, the Bible Code, et al, got it right (especially after viewing stuff re both on The Discovery Channel) but if Ted Turner says it, it must be true, right? x:-)

Today, I received frantic phone calls from our hotel in Newport, Oregon. A couple of earthquakes, one registering 4.9, the other registering 2-point-something made our people concerned and knocked out some computer systems in the local area.

Guess all we can really hope for in the final analysis is that if the world does end that at least our Emergency Action Plan is correct and all the employees are propertly trained.

Sorry, is that too flippant? x;-)
  • > >These profits of doom are full of hooey.

Not to be confused with HOOAH! of course.x:D

I try to be in the "I don't care" camp. Because it usually makes me depressed it I think about it too much.

• Count me in with the don't cares. Lots of people here in Boston are concerned about terrorism during the DNC and I haven't given that much thought either.
  • Everything has a cycle..and while we might like to think that we have an answer or explanation for everything, we don't. It seems best to go on about your life, not intentionally harming anyone or anything, and trying to keep things in balance and perspective...so whatever the end result is, you can say that you enjoyed your life and made positive contributions to the world around you.

There is a difference between living in fear and just being aware of what's around you. I'll be surprised if anything monumental happens in Boston this summer....hopefully, all major events will go off without incident...Olympics included.

• That's great! I starts with an earthquake;
    Birds and snakes, an aeroplane,
    And Lenny Bruce is not afraid.
    Eye of a hurricane, Listen to yourself churn,
    World serves its own needs,
    Dummy serve your own needs.
    Feed it off an aux, speak, grunt, no, strength,
    The Ladder start to clatter witha fear
    Fight down, height.
    Wire in a fire representing seven games,
    And a government for hire at a combat site;
    Left of west and coming in a hurry with the furies
    Breathing down you neck.
    Team by team reporters, bafffled, trumped, tethered, cropped.
    Look at that low playing.
    Fine, Then.
    Uh-oh. Overflow population, common food,
    But it'll do to save yourself, serve yourself.
    World serves its own needs,
    Listen to your heart bleed,
    Dummy with a rapture and the revered and the right, right.
    You vitriolic, patriotic, slam, fight, bright light,
    Feeling pretty psyched.

It's the end of the world as we know it.
    It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

Six o'clock-- T.V. hour
    Don't get caught in foreign towers.
    Slash and burn, return.
    Listen to yourself churn.
    Lock it in, uniforming, book burning, blood letting.
    Every motive escalate.
    Automotive incinerate.
    Light a candle, light a motive.
    Step down, step down.
    Watch your heel crush, crushed, uh-oh,
    This means no fear cavalier, renegade steer clear!
    A tournament, a tournament, a tournament of lies!
    Offer me solutions, offer me alternatives, and I decline!

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel fine.

The other night I dreamt of knives,
    Continental drift divide,
    Mountains sit in a line.
    LEONARD BERNSTEIN,
    Leonid Brezhnev, Lenny Bruce and Lester Bangs.
    Birthday party, cheesecake, jelly bean, BOOM!
    You symbiotice, patriotic, slam, bug, net, right?
    Right.

It's the end of the world as we know it and I feel
    fine...fine...

#1 thing a consultant shouldn't say: "I could tell you the answer right now, but we're committed to a three month project..." #-o
  • Gee Paul, thanks for the doom and gloom. Couldn't have asked for a nicer way to begin Tuesday.

Next you will be asking us if we think that we will go to heaven or hell. OOOOOPS! Didn't mean to give you any ideas.
  • Thanks for the REM lyrics. I always thought the line "no fear" was "no beer".

Anyone ever hear of St. Malachy. In 1149 he accurately predicted the next 110 popes. After our current pope, there are only 2 more. Strange, huh?

Or the Garabandal visions? Four little girls in 1961 began having visions of an Angel, Michael, and then the Holy Mother. The visions went on for weeks and were thoroughly documented, photographed, and tested.

One of the little girls (who is now grown) holds a secret date when a special miracle will take place in a grove of pines near Garabandal. She will tell the world of the miracle 8 days before it happens. She also warns of a terrible chastening that God will bring on the world to make then aware of their sins.

I am not Catholic by the way. Its just interesting stuff.
  • I got five lines into the lyrics and voila - there was music in my head. Sang it the rest of the way through!
  • I love that song but never could make sense of the lyrics, so I figured I was just too old to listen that fast. But now that I've seen the lyrics, I realize I was listening just fine.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • The Garabandal visions sound a lot like the Medjegorie (Yugoslavia) visions. Are they one in the same?
  • Beags, it's very similar. Except Medjugorje is in Bosnia-Hercegovina and Garabandal is in Spain. Interesting stuff indeed Paul.

[url]http://www.medjugorje.org/medpage.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.garabandal.org/story.shtml[/url]
  • Sooooo... I guess Eastern European geography isn't my strong suit, huh, Leslie? #-o
  • Maybe the world has ended and we just don't know it yet. If that statement is true, are we in heaven or hell?
  • As far as I'm concerned . . . the end of the world is Sunday. The last official day I can use the forum because I'm a lowly-non-subscriber. Life won't be the same. x:'(

At least I hope I can access it over the weekend yet. I've got to get my fill before going cold-turkey.

As for the rest of you, what would need to happen for the world to come to an end? Will our planet blow up? The universe will shut down? Life on earth will just stop? I don't see any of it happening.