Kerry Edwards...

Kerry has announced his VP choice... John Edwards....

xclap

Comments

• 17 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think I would have been more inclined to vote the democratic ticket if the roles were reversed.

I think Edwards is much more moderate than Kerry.

Guess I'm stuck voting for King George II again.
  • I'm with you, Beagle. I hate to say it, but for the first time in my adult life, I may not vote for President. I just don't know what to do.
  • I don't know Beagle. I just read this:

In his six years in the Senate, his voting record has moved from somewhat centrist to decidedly liberal. In 1999, based on an analysis of dozens of roll-call votes, the non-partisan National Journal ranked him more liberal than 72 percent of his Senate colleagues; but last year National Journal rated him more liberal than 95 percent of his colleagues.
  • That's interesting. The only reason Edwards was the most viable candidate the dems had (at least in my opinion) is because he didn't appear to be some knee-jerk liberal, despite the union connections. Sorry to hear this.
  • Edwards, with his meager tenure in the senate, should bring a landslide of about 3 electoral votes with him to the ticket. He did manage to take his own state, barely. But, it can be said that he is a great orator and that's why he was chosen. But he ain't no Dick Cheney in a debate. Really, methinks they are lining up Edwards for name recognition so he can run with Schmillary in '08.
  • Edwards v. Cheney.

Young upbeat (Edwards) v. Old grump (Cheney).
  • > But he ain't no Dick Cheney in a debate.

Don, for once you and I agree. I understand that Edwards rarely uses the f-word in a public venue.
    x:-)

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-06-04 AT 10:51AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'm extremely disappointed in the selection. Edwards, who? The only thing I remember from his campaign is the hundreds of union folks carrying his sign, but wearing their respective union t-shirts - sent shivers of more probable than not bad national policies down my spine. First time in my life, even though I abhor his international policies, I will probably vote for the republican candidate - too bad he can't dump Cheney & add McCain to the ticket.
  • Don't feel bad Mwild. It is the lot in life of we GDI's to often vote for the lesser evil. In my case, since I am a capitalist, I console myself with the thought that the markets often react favorably to a republican chief executive.

Also, I have a son in the marines, and I much prefer Bush as our commander in chief to Kerry. A real, viable third party would be nice, but we may not see it in our lifetimes.
  • x:-) I have to say, I do think W's campaign is pretty smart to align themselves with McCain right after the announcement. If McCain had gone over to the other side & his name was added to the Democratic ticket with Kerry's - I would have switched in a heartbeat!
  • xI-) Kerry's running mate wouldn't matter unless it was Elvis. I suspect that most Democrats and independents will view their choices as Bush or NotBush.

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • I assume Republicans see themselves as having the same two choices.
  • Wish we could vote Edwards as Bush's VP. Can't stand that Cheney !

Chari
    [email]calter@iopener.net[/email]
  • Sorry you feel that way about Cheney. I think he is a great man. He was my congressman for many years when I lived in Wyoming. I've met him a few times, and even drove him in a parade once (I was mad because my brother got to drive the homecoming queen and I got stuck with a politician).

He ran Halliburton (sp) for several years. They are the most successful oil exploration / development company ever. They were successful before he was there, and they will continue to be successful for a long time. There are only two really large companies that do what they do, and the other is in France. Yes our government gives a lot of expensive contracts to Halliburton, but it has for many years with many administrations. Now since our VP used to have an association with them, he has been vilified.

Don't forget he was the secretary of defense during the first Gulf War, which was one of our military's finest hours.

Four years ago during the VP debates, it was not even a contest. People were saying it should be Cheney running for president and not Bush.

Because of his stance on the war and former association with Halliburton, the press sees him as the devil, and want to destroy him.

Sorry to ramble on, but I do believe that he is a great man, and would be a great president if that time ever came.

Rob S.

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-08-04 AT 08:01AM (CST)[/font][br][br]I think Edwards is going to fizzle like the last volley from a Roman Candle. Today at noon on the news, when he stood there with both hands raised in a Nixonesque pose, I noticed his brilliant Ipana smile with all 32 gleaming. Then, when he stepped away from the podium he assumed the camera would be on something else. It stayed on him. In a mili-second, he went from 440 volt grin to scowl. It was unbelievable. But very telling of things to come. At least Cheney always scowls. The only time he smiles is when he uses the F-word. By the way, I believe Mr. Kerry used it first, did he not, in public discourse? I think they should all use it more often. Adds a little local color to otherwise dull coverage. In fact, if we all knew it would occur, just think how Tim Russert's ratings would soar when we tuned in to hear someone like The Governor of Wyoming say, Tim, F-OFF!.

And would someone puleeeze get Kerry's rich wife off that anti-depressant or vodka, whichever it is and get her a stimulant of some sort.

Speaking of McCain, I still remember the unfortunate information that some in the media rolled out about his wife 4 years ago. I predict the same is about to happen with Miz Kerry.