On a Lighter Note

With all the religious and political bruhaha (i know I did'nt spell that right)going on on the forum I have decided to add another sociological quandry just to satisfy my own curiosity:
My street is being torn up to put in a natural gas line. As a result big huge machines that are used to tear up streets are being left behind overnight. My SO and I were sitting on our front porch chatting away when out of the blue he gazes longingly at one of these machines and sighs "you know I really want to drive that thing".
WHY????
As far as I can see it is an awkward, clumsy device that doesn't do much except cause destruction and noise. What is the fascination that men have with these machines? I have encountered this curiosity many times in my life.
So, ladies and gentlemen, any comments?

Comments

• 13 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • FHR, did you ever as a child play with Tonka trucks or bulldozers? The appeal is BIG machines. We had to replace a water line in our front yard and rented a Bobcat. It was so much fun to drive around the yard, digging up a trench, and being able to move large boulders from the ground. I have always loved dirt and gardening but I found that I loved digging and moving rocks with the Bobcat even more.
    Why the appeal? I really can't explain it. Maybe it's a power thing.

• I was going to suggest a power thing or nostalgic flashback to Tonka toys, but since we all know (and they will be the first to tell us) that us gals are not able to understand the male mind I suggest we are just going to have to wait until the guys chime in..
  • I don't know, but my husband is the same way. We borrowed a bobcat to do a bunch of earth-moving & he was like a kid in a candy store.

I think maybe it's in their blood - ever notice how a little boy - before he can even talk - knows to go "vroom vroom" when he plays with his cars?????
  • There is a quarry near here that has Dozer Days every year. They get out their huge machines and big and little kids can go check them out. Toss in some hot dog and ice cream stands and you have a nifty saturday excursion with the kids.
  • Last year my town had a similar event, about a dozen firetrucks, all types of earthmovers, etc. I had never seen so many men need to take their kids to an event before. (they let the adults climb on everything too).
  • I'm a guy and I don't know. Our street will be reasphalted starting next week, so if I get a burning desire to drive an asphalt remover or an asphalt putter-onner/layer-downer, I'll let you know, and why.
  • We were clearing a half acre lot one time (many pine trees). When we rented a front-end loader (BIG TRACTOR), just about every man in the neighborhood showed up with their chain saw, and wanted to use the tractor to push over a tree. They even offered to cut up the tree when they were done!

It was great! We charged them one beer per tree, sat back and watched them work. Great day!
  • So is it really 'work' when they go out to cut the grass on a riding mower or a tractor? No, it's a relapse; and escape with a mission and blending with the elements, while some of us dutifully slave over a hot microwave and load the dishwasher.
  • As a women (that can be very feminine when I want to be) I think it is a blast to drive the BIG stuff, front end loaders, dump trucks,bobcats, etc. It can be very empowering to be behind the wheel (stick) of something so big. I quess that's why I'll take my F350 super duty diesel over a car any day.
  • The answer to your question FHR is "because we can"! OOPS, sorry Billy.
  • No man likes to see equipment sitting idle. If you've never heard of the Natchez Trace, it's a federal parkway that winds all the way from Natchez, Mississippi up to Nashville, TN, 400 miles of scenic beauty. It is owned by all of us but it's patrolled by Park Rangers who don't put up with much crap. A small part of it was under construction two years ago; lots of dirtwork, levee road being built, detours, etc. My old buddy and I were toolin' around one Sunday in the truck, running through or around 'no passage' signs, and we came upon a couple of cranes, big ones. Four beers will give you the courage to mount and drive an Abrams tank I suppose. We told the Ranger the machine was privately owned and he had no jurisdiction. The next thing I told him was 'These damned cuffs are cutting off blood flow'. He grinned at me in the rear-view mirror.
  • Ladies, I am going to let you in on something you must promise never to repeat. Men will not tell you the reason - it is part of the oath we all must take upon becoming men. You may have guys tell you all sorts of reasons - please know that these are merely diversionary tactics to make you think we have let you in on one of the secrets.

I think this one is Chapter 5 of our MANual.
  • "My SO and I were sitting on our front porch chatting away when out of the blue he gazes longingly at one of these machines and sighs "you know I really want to drive that thing".
    WHY????
    As far as I can see it is an awkward, clumsy device that doesn't do much except cause destruction and noise. What is the fascination that men have with these machines?"

Ah, as classic a question as "What's the meaning of life?" x:-)

The fascination is as inexplicable and as hard to define and gather meaning from as many other male interests, such as, watching golf on TV, the glee of passing gas in front of friends - or better yet in front of their female SO, publicly scratching/adjusting private places, the bizarre inability to put a toilet seat down, carburetors, debates on the merits of charcoal vs. propane barbeques - yet are not quite sure how to turn on the stove/oven, pick-up lines, etc. Maybe we'll never know the answer, but it sure gives me endless opportunity to kid around with my son and boyfriend. x:D