American Idol, final 5

I'm having a few new thoughts about the competition...which is shifting my favorites...

I thought the intent of the show was to find the next teen-star...someone that would appeal to the 12-18 year olds...not necessarily the most talented.

Latoya has an incredible Broadway voice...but I don't know that she could appeal to a young crowd. Fantasia is in that category too...adult contemporary is more likely.

They all gave great performances last night...it's getting really tough.

I'm putting Diana at the top of my list. I think she could appeal to the younger group...and cross over to adults.

Fantasia and LaToya should be on Broadway before the end of the year!

Comments

• 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • George Huff did a great job sounding like the original singers for the songs he chose, but he has to go this week!

What did all of you think about Simon's comments to Fantasia . . . that "Fantasia and Latoya are in separate categories" or something like that. Was he complimenting Fantasia or insulting her, I wasn't sure.

My favorite, EITHER Jasmine or Diana, I keep switching between the two.
  • I've always seen the show as trying to find the next most talented Pop star, not necessarily the next teen star. A true Pop star will appeal to anyone who likes that type of music, granted the majority would most likely be under 21.

Kelly Clarkson, Ruben and Clay all have broad appeal and I wouldn't categorize any of them as a teen star.

While Fantasia was performing last night, I told my wife that La Toya and Fantasia are in a league of their own. Later, Simon confirmed it.

I think La Toya is more well rounded to appeal to a bigger audience. My money is on her.

I think Jasmine is leaving tonight. The competition is just too tough and while she is good, at this point good just isn't going to cut it anymore.
  • Thanks for clarifying Simon's comment. I took it a different way.
  • Farewell to George....I really will miss him... he was not the most vocally talented...but he just had a light around him...and really pulled you into his performance. I expect we'll see more of George.

And again, I just have to say how touching it is to see the contestants so supportive of one another....If you had the sound off, you'd've never known if it was George or Jasmine that was leaving!!!

• I have to agree with HRsage, I have never viewed this as a teen competion, ergo the name "American" Idol. I see that person as a well rounded talent who can appeal to different generations - that can sing different styles of music.

Fantasia and Latoya are certainly in a class of their own as Simon has expressed numerous times. By far the most talented in the last 3 years! Diana has really surprised me. I envision her in a few years and only see her getting better and better with the same "Performance" as the other two.

Really hated to see George go. He has such a persona about himself.

Jasmine is so bland, she will be next.

• I'm curious to hear what everyone thinks...because I'm afraid that my opinion this week may go against the majority.

I'm sure that Jasmine will go tonight, she seemed to know it at the end of her 2nd performance too. But, I do have to say that I didn't hate "it's raining men" nearly as much as the judges. I thought it was much much better than her first song.

and, I was not at all impressed by LaToya. I agree with Simon that she has a nice voice (although she got props for her 2nd song, I thought it was pretty bad, compared to her ability) but she's kind of boring to watch. With Fantasia, while her voice isn't my favorite, she's taken songs and turned them around to suit her...she gets her groove on...and is fun to watch.

Diana too....she is just fun..and has a great set of lungs on top of it. She LOOKS like she's having fun...I can't say that for LaToya....

is it just me?
  • I think La Toya looks like she is having fun. My wife even commented last night that La Toya makes it look so easy when she sings.

I agree Jasmine is going to go tonight. She is cleary not up to par with the other 3.

Diana did stand out last night, and for the first time I thought she might actually win this thing. And she definitely looks like she is having a great time.

I'm not a big fan of Fantasia. She can sing great, but I can't see myself listening to a whole CD of hers. She reminds me of Macy Gray, they both have unique styles and voices, but after awhile the novelty of it wears off, and becomes annoying.

• I agree. Fantasia's voice is annoying--sounds like she's singing through her nose. I couldn't listen to more than one song of hers. LaToya is great but I'm kind of leaning towards Diana. I think we all know Jasmine will be gone tonight and I think she knows it as well. I give her a lot of credit for getting as far as she got for being such a young girl. Tonight will be interesting.
  • Okay can someone please explain to me how La Toya was voted out tonight? What show are these voters listening too??

Jasmine should be buying a lottery ticket right now because she is the luckiest girl in town. For her not to even be in the bottom 2 is ridiculous.

They just lost the best singer in the contest.

Diana will probably win now, but someone please get that girl a stylist. She looked like she was wearing a maternity outfit tonight. And I don't know what the heck Fantasia was wearing either. Sorry, I'm just a little disappointed right now.
  • I'm disappointed as well. LaToya was definitely the best performer/singer in the group and Jasmine really needed to go. I think the competition should have a minimum age of 18 because the majority of viewers are probably young people so they're voting for the young performers thereby eliminating the older more mautre, good performers. I hope Jasmine goes next week because I would never buy an album of hers nor would I buy one of Fantasia's. I'd listen to Diana for more than one song but that's about it. LaToya was definitely the most polished, professional contestant they had. I'm sure she'll get a recording contract from someone but what a travesty for her to be voted out and someone who can't even compare to be left in the competition.
  • What is Simon so fond of saying? This is what happens when America gets to decide.

I agree totally that LaToya has an amazing voice and is incredibly talented. She will no doubt be successful in the business. I think you're right that a lot of younger teens vote more so than adults( I don't vote)...and I agree that they are looking for someone "fun" in addition to talented. LaToya is so polished and poised that I think the younger crowd misses the dancing and playfulness that is seen in Diana and Fantasia especially.

This is why I said earlier that sometimes this seems like a "teen" idol.

I can't help but think how hard it must be for the contestant that the judges thought should go home to sit there while someone else is voted off. I'll give Jasmine credit for grace in that situation. And to LaToya, again they are setting such a great example.

The other thing I can say is that seeing a performance live is much different than in person. I have been rivited by shows when I'm in the audience, only to see it later on TV and be bored to tears. This is a media driven nation...broadway stage presence does not always carry over onto TV well...and a majority of the voting audience is probably watching at home.

• I wonder if Jasmine got a lot of sympathy votes because of her crying after performing on Tuesday, knowing it was probably (AND SHOULD HAVE BEEN!)her last performance. I just thought it was really dumb that the best performer and singer was out...but LaToya handled it with class and I'm sure she knows her career will be very successful, regardless of whether or not she became the American Idol.

I don't really know if Diana or Fantasia will win now...I think Fantasia is more consistent and interesting to watch, but I have issues with her personality. Diana needs a different stylist because her wardrobe is usually not that flattering. She has improved a lot over the weeks and seems like a genuinely nice person though. Who knows what will happen, right?
  • Diana's wardrobe....she kind of reminds me of me at 16...she's not really overweight, but heavier than the other girls...and she's got curves...at 16, she just doesn't know what to do with them!!! I imagine that even with all of her poise and confidence in her singing, she is uncomfortable in her skin and has a hard time not wanting to just wear a tent all the time!

Think back to LeeAnn Rimes...she had a similar issue. It will pass!!!

• The best signer is gone - that's all there is to it. I sure hope Fantasia does not win. While she has changed her personality I think it was a change just for the TV cameras and the real flip, smart alec type is still her. I hope Diana reaches down deep and pulls it off!
  • maybe we need to start voting! x:-)
  • Good luck trying to get through. I heard the lines were very busy and a lot of people couldn't get through. That happened to my husband and me last year. We had two phones going trying to vote for Clay Aiken. We called for over an hour and never got to vote. I don't know how people are doing it. I think it should be one vote per phone number. Yes, my favorite is gone and I believe as well that Fantasia shut her mouth just for the camera. There is no way she is an American Idol. I don't think she's a very good role model either with her cockey attitude. Diana has got to do it in these last couple of shows. Hopefully Jasmine or Fantasia will be gone Wednesday night.
  • If Jasmine stays after last night, I'll don't think I'll be watching anymore. She is so clearly out-matched by Fantasia and Diana that you almost feel sorry for her- almost.

In a word, Jasmine's performances last night were just Bland. She just doesn't have what it takes right now to really add anything to the songs that she sings. With voice training and time she'll be great- just not right now.

Fantasia is just a pro. She sings with confidence and always seems to add something to the song. I've never seen her to have a cocky attitude though. I still wouldn't buy a CD of hers but I wouldn't change the radio station if she was singing.

Diana has certainly come a long way. She's way better than Jasmine, but not as good as Fantasia.

I think she'll probably win because too many people are rubbed the wrong way by Fantasia.
  • I agree about Jasmine...she's sweet and cute and she'll go onto other things...but she is outshined by the other remaining contestants.

Fantasia has toned down her 'tude quite a lot over the last month or so. In the beginning she used to argue with Simon and the judges about the critque...but a lot of what comes off as 'tude to some of us, may be strength to another....I find her to be much more lady-like and graceful now than in the beginning. She does have a great way of making a song seem like it was written for her.

In that respect, she beats out Diana, but Diana has a more traditional radio type voice. I feel like I'm less inclined to be tired of Diana after a song or two.

But truthfully, both of these ladies are great and they will both go onto fantastic things.

• Down to the final 2....Fantasia and Diana....It will be interesting to hear them sing the same song next week...they have such different styles...

Did any of you get the impression that Simon was not at all impressed by either the Aussie Idol or by Tamyra Gray? He kept laying his head on the desk....

although, I was not so impressed by Guy either..he was good...but too much vibrato...he seemed to be a mix of Aaron Neville and Richard Simmons! xflash
  • I've got my fingers crossed for Diana, because Fantasia's voice makes my ears melt.

One thing I'm sure of, I will not miss Randy's critiques, giving props, yo man, dude, etc. What language is that anyway?
  • He gets on my nerves what that "hood" talk too. I think he's a little old to be acting that way. Hoping Diana wins, Fantasia is not an American Idol in my book.