Oh Mercy . . . cats!

Oh, compassionate HR people. . . .

This is how my life generally goes . . . advice needed!

Two years ago we picked up two (outside) cats for my daughters. Last year we adopted two more. During winter two strays became our friends. We now have six outside cats. No problem, we feed them, play with them, they're great.

One was either hit by a car or fell from a tree on Friday; I just found out it has a broken hip, shattered knee and dislocated ankle. (It took us since Friday to catch it).

It's the cutest one of our six, long-haired, so cute, part of the family . . . are you ready? $640 to amputate the leg, plus the appointment this morning already cost $132. #-o

The vet assures me that 3-legged cats can survive just fine outside. x:(

Hubby will be home in two hours. I hope he's in a good mood.

What would you do?

P.S. Cat-haters, please move on to the next message. I can just imagine what your answer is.

Comments

• 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Have the vet amputate. Put it on a credit card and pay it off if you have to. Even if I was broke there would be no question in my mind on this. If you claim an animal is your pet then you are responsible for taking care of it as best you can (in my book) and that includes shelling out the dough when medical attention is needed. Putting the cat to sleep would not be an option for me unless he/she would be in pain for the rest of his/her life and there was nothing to be done medicine wise that could help. Just thinking about one of my cats getting hurt like that makes me tear up. My cats are indoors-only for that very reason (but I know you can't make an "already outdoor" cat indoor - it makes both parties nuts).
  • Thanks for the quick response . . . I'm hitting the road in a minute and will discuss this with hubby over the phone later. Eeek!
  • McMel - my mom has 3 outdoor cats in PA and one is 3 legged after being hit by a car. Does just fine! Go for it and love your kitty.
  • Remember to have the puss neutered too. What's $50 or so more? The doc may even throw it in as a gesture of good will.
  • Sage advice, Rita. There are too many stray cats and not enough people like mcmel to take care of them.
  • I just recently read a survey conducted on animal lovers asking "How much would you pay for medical care for your animal?" Most people stated "whatever it takes".

I feel the same way. One of my little Yorkshire terriers was ill and he needed an echocardiogram...$450. I didn't bat an eye - I'd have gotten a second job if I had to.

You are so right....they are your responsibility. My guys have seen me through a lot and I will make sure they get what they need to live a happy, healthy life.

Glad to see there are so many animal lovers among us!
  • Well, I'll stand by and do the drumroll until we hear from the husband. Is there a drumroll emoticon?

And as I recall, McMel revealed earlier this week that she has a second or first "other job" as a makeup executive. Now we know where her next couple of checks will go! And I thought she was taking me to Chicago on that money.
  • Come on now Don, we all know Mcmel is the boss. Discussion with hubby is just to let him in on the decision she's made. x;)
  • Once a couple of years ago, I and my husband spent a couple hundred dollars in vet bills on a cat we didn't even own!! There was this cat that kept hanging around our house - showed up one day. After a few days we took it in and ran an ad for a lost cat. The neighbor down the street (who we really didn't know-even though it was a neighbor!) sort of claimed the cat. But anyway, we decided to keep it/adopt it. We then noticed that something wasn't quite right and took him to the vet. The vet said he had suffered severe trauma to the stomach which had pushed up all the his organs into his lungs and was slowly suffocating the cat. The vet said either a car had hit it or some one had kicked it very hard. The vet asked us if we wanted him to do surgery and we said yes. Sadly, the cat did not survive the surgery. Remember - all of this we did/paid for, for a cat that wasn't even ours!
    One thing the vet did do for us was wave some of the fees. He wrote it off as training for one of his new people.

I guess by the time you read this - you will already have made your decision. I don't think you should feel bad about whatever decision you make.
  • I absolutely care more for animals than I do people, generally speaking. Here's one of my memories. One Christmas morning I was driving to another city to take my girl friend her Christmas present, an engagement ring. About 15 miles out of my hometown in the middle of a two way busy rural road I spotted a dog up ahead, right in the middle of the road, wriggling and struggling, tragically making no progress. I slammed on brakes right in the middle of the road, finally figured out how to get the seatbelt off and wrestled this huge bird dog up into the trunk and in the December cold, wrapped him in an old blanket, with all kinds of traffic whizzing around me in both directions blowing their horns rudely. No doubt scared to death, with his last bit of strentgh, he bit me and I bled for quite a while. I got to the next town and hurried through a gas station phone book and called the only vet I could find. He met me on Christmas morning at his clinic. I didn't know the dog and the vet didn't know me. But it was Christmas, after all and nobody deserves to die in the middle of the road on Christmas. I told him to do whatever it took and I would pay for it. I was covered with blood, mine and the dog's. The vet patched my hand up and sadly had to put the dog to sleep. He had four broken legs and a broken back. He wouldn't let me pay him anything. I was very late getting to my destination but never will forget that day. I wish he could have lived. But, I'm stronger for it. Later that same year I watched a man cross the center line and go into the opposing lane just to run a dog down. I tried for almost 20 miles to catch that man. If I had caught him, one or the other of us would have the hell beat out of him and it didn't matter to me which one of us it would be.
  • Wow Don! What a story! Too bad there aren't more folks like you in the world!

I hope the girl accepted your engagement ring!
  • Hey Don, I just noticed that you posted your heart wrenching story just after mine, AND NOT BEFORE your first posts about this thread. I suspect you are trying to upstage me! I have to ask - was your story real? Did it really happen to YOU? Or, did you read it some where else? I think something fishy is going on.
  • I always claimed to not be much of an animal lover. I was the one who snickered at people who spent lots of money on their pets. When our 14 year old dog was diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in Feb., I did my research and shelled out a thousand bucks. Regrets? None. PS I no longer snicker at others x:-), but I must point out this is THE best dog and I wouldn't do it for another.:~~
  • Well you asked for responses from compassionate HR people, but I decided to reply anyway. Well, on second thought, no I won't afterall.
  • About 5 or 6 years ago there was a catr hanging around our hosue during the winter months. Mind you in our part of NM we do get snow. Anyway, one night I picked him up off the stoop and brought hime into the hosue. I was dangling him from from under his front shoulders, took him into my wife (who loves cats) and told her to say good night to kitty. My wife asked me what he had on his chest. I turned him around and found he had a hole in his chest. Someone had either shot him with a BB gun or he hurt himnself in a tree or something. So I kept the cat in the house for the night and my wife took him to the vet the next day for medical attention. The vet took care of the hole and my wife also had him fixed. Coat $100+

There was no way I was letting $100+ stray around the neighborhood so he became our 3rd cat! He died last year due to FIV (feline version of HIV).
  • I AM generally the boss of my house, as Cinderella suggested, but I lost this one. Hubby freaked out and if anybody heard our cell phone conversation, our phone privileges would have been revoked for good.

Spending a total of $775 on this cat was not an option in his eyes, although I would have made monthly payments until dooms day if necessary. I even considered a big fat lie about the $$ and secretly paying the bill myself; I hope I don't end up regretting that I DIDN'T lie. Finally, I had to agree because if this cat wandered on the highway before payments were complete, it would have been tough to live in this house.

My daughters came home from school and I was a blubbering idiot. They took it better than I'm taking it; one of them has renamed one of her stuffed animals after the cat.

At the start of this post, I truly thought we would end up going through with the surgery. This day really sucked. Thanks for your messages and responses. I wish I could say I did the right thing.
  • So sorry Mel. . it will get better
  • I would pay the bill and enjoy the feline and the good feeling that will occur after the healing process is final. I have had the opportunity to be owned by a cat with three leggs and it had no problem with the handicap.

I thought I would share this with my Forum friends. This was a letter to our local paper that was written by my better half, I hope I am not violating any Forum rules and if I am James will let me know.

Care for animals
    It is heartbreaking to see the number of dogs and cats that end up in our animal shelter. Won't you please get your dog or cat spayed or neutered? It doesn't cost that much and many veterinarians will work with you on payments.
    It is the only responsible thing to do to help prevent the number of abandoned and unwanted animals. If you don't have room for more animals or don't want one, would you please donate some money to the animal shelter? It would help pay for transportation to take some of these dogs and cats to other cities to be adopted. A lot of people don't know that our shelter does that, but not all of these animals get that chance, most of them are euthanized.
    There are a lot of beautiful and loving animals just going to waste. It is not a lot of trouble to care for an animal and they love you unconditionally for it. Just think of all of the dogs and cats at the pound who are literally dying for someone to love them.
    Don't make them be alone in their suffering. Please help these animals. They can't help themselves, and wouldn't even exist if people were responsible enough to care for their own animals by having them spayed or neutered.
    If you have a dog or a cat that you don't want, make some effort and do the right thing and find them a home. Don't just wimp out and abandon them at the shelter, as this just adds to the existing problem. This animal loves you regardless of whether or not you're too cold-hearted to admit it or not.
    There are some exceptionally adoptable pets that you could be a foster parent to. You can keep the dog or cat for a few days or so until an owner can be found. There are so many ways that you can help. Just call the shelter, they are always happy for volunteers.
    So, go adopt an animal or donate some money or time for the truest love you will ever know. Save their lives, they'd do it for you.

• I'm a cat lover, with 3 indoor cats. So, needless to say, pay the vet and give this cat another chance.

One of my indoor cats became diabetic and we had to give him insulin shots daily plus take him once a week for medication through an IV. Luckily, his diabetes reversed and he is fine now. (Cats are the only species that can actually reverse diabetes.) Now he is a healthy 20 lbs. and 14 years old!

GOOD LUCK!
  • We are owened by 2 dogs and 6 cats. It's hard in a blended household...we all came in with our own pets...and of course, could not part with any of them!!

Our oldest cat, I'm sure, sailed with Noah...he, like most of our cats was either abandoned or a shelter cat. Our two youngest are nearing their first birthdays. The bigger one had a stomach abscess after his neutering surgery...which was an enormous bill for us...but, of course, we paid it.

Our theory on treatment for pets is not "whatever it takes"...our oldest dog suffers from hip displaysia, and there is surgery that might be helpful BUT, beyond the expense is the rehabilitation. When humans are hurt or injured and told they must have physical therapy...it will hurt but you will benefit in the long run...we can make that choice for ourselves. Our pets rely on us to make decisions in their best interest, and sometimes, that means making a heartbreaking decision for us. For Jayne, we've decided that while surgery might help, she is nearly 14, old for her breed, and while she does have some pain, with an asprin a day, and mild excersize, she gets around fairly well and is happy. I don't know how happy she would be to be at a vet's clinic for a week...away from home...she may not understand, and she may feel abandoned...and that breaks my heart more than anything.

We try to do what is best for the pet...and walk in their paws a bit...the worst part is never knowing for sure that you made the right choice.

• So sorry mcmel!!
    A while back we paid a hefty $1000.00 ( I now think that the clinic was overcharging #0) to cure a urinary block on our cat. There was some hesitation but he is a part of our family.
    I also had a cat in my single life who was outdoors. She accompanied me through many moves, including cross country from CA to MA. She was hit by a car and died instantly. If that kind of grief is any indication of what is to come from losing other loved ones I need to develope a steel heart.
    It is tough mcmel. My thoughts are with you.
  • There are a lot of animal lovers on the forum. Why don't you open an account and let other forum members contribute to the cost of this surgery? I'm willing to put in $20. Anyone else?
  • Thanks for the offer NaeNae!

When I talked to the vet further, she commented about the severity of the broken hip and the discomfort the cat would experience even after surgery. She said it is a fair decision to have the cat put to sleep and out of his misery.

Part of me thinks she was just wavering, trying to make me feel better about not going ahead with the surgery. I know in times like that they have to be counselors as much as doctors.

• I had a cat and a dog in my single life. The dog was my grandparents and after both of their deaths it was hard to part with the dog. I probably kept her around longer than I should have but couldn't bear to part with her. I finally had her put to sleep several years ago. I know that it was the right thing to do. As for the cat he is definately part of the family. He snuggles with the baby and me during those late night feedings. I have often told my husband if I had to choose between him and the cat I love him but the cat has been with me longer......
    Sorry to hear of your lose mel but you did the right thing by not keeping kitty alive for you but suffering for him.
  • Sorry about the length of this!

It is very hard to loose a pet or being put in the position to decide to end thier lives. I may not be too popular after this, but here goes.

I use to work at a vet clinic (vet assistent) I have seen ALL kinds of pet owners from the person who spent 1000s to keep a 18 year old cat alive to someone who had a dog so eaten up with infected wounds that we had to put him to sleep but I couldn't find a vein in his legs due to gangrene.

My response to the pet owners put in the position of having to decide what to do was "Who's benefit are you prolonging this animal's life for, the animal or yours?" An animal can't tell you he/she is hurting etc.

I had a horse - very dear to my husband I that we had to put down last month. He hurt his back 1.5 years ago, was getting better then reinjured himself. He was young - 6 yrs, the vets response - we could do surgery ($3000 - $4000) but I'm not sure if it will help. Or we could drug him with pain killers that would eventually destroy his kidneys.

We thought about it and decided that we couldn't afford it and what kind of life would Titan have. So we put him down and have made peace with ourselves that we did what was best for him.

Is it hard not having him greet us every day when we get home - absolutely! One thing that keeps up going is I have his daughter who is made in his image. We also took some of the money saved and bought a neglected horse.
  • I can barely read this entire thread without crying.

Tish, thanks for your insights from "the inside" and thank you for buying the neglected horse.
  • Tish,

I completely agree with your opinion that many people prolong a pet's life for their own benefit rather than the animal's. Vets and vet techs will affirm this. I had to put down a dog two years ago under extremely painful and complicated circumstances -- too long a story for this venue and too traumatic for me to recount. Money wasn't an issue because I had already spent about $5,000 on him in the last 18 mos. of his young life. Simply put, he was my heart. I've owned and loved many dogs, but I bred and delivered this one, so he was as close as I'll ever come to having a child. While I'm not at all at peace with the circumstances that led up to his death, I'm at peace with his life on earth being over.

Everyone has to make this decision from their own perspective, but from mine, you did the right thing about Titan. They say we'll meet our pets at the rainbow bridge. That sounds kinda sappy to a non-sentimentalist like me, but I sure hope so.
  • I was very fortunate that I worked with vets that were concerned with what was best for the animals verses what was best for their pocketbook. Maybe it had something to do with them being large animal verses small animal and working in a farm community.

I have many friends that live in cities that at times it seems the vets - small animal - are much more concerned with trying to prolong life with expensive surgeries and treatments.

My concern has always been what is best for the animal.

As for Titan - I had a picture of him and my husband taken out in North Dakota that I enlarged and was going to frame. A very talented friend of mine wrote a wonderful poem about Titan which I incorporated into the picture. Everyone is very touch when they see. It is our memorial to him.