Vacation Anyone?

Okay, I've been trying to plan my vacations for the year for the past month or so. I wanted to go somewhere back East like Boston or Washington DC, but our timeshare is booked during the time we wanted to go.

So now we are going to Las Vegas $$$ in a couple of weeks and Acapulco this summer! th-up

Anyone else have any good vacation plans they're looking forward to?

Comments

• 34 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The Outer Banks in NC. It is a family vacation with no family stress. We are all big readers and cooks and game players and nobody is obligated to do any thing but what they want to do. It is right on a gorgeous, hardly populated beach.
    My SO and I were talking about it last night and we aren't set to go until late July!!!
  • It's the Outer Banks for us, too! Last week in August (weather is risky, but since it isnt high season we get ALOT more house for our buck!). Cant wait: sun, sand, and surf. I've been dreamin' about it since we made the reservations way back in January.
    Hopefully, we'll also get a kids-free trip, we are looking at the Caribbean, perhaps Aruba, anyone have any suggestions there?
  • I'm headed to Bermuda in June... I can't wait! I have not had a vacation in a very long time.

• I wish. I've been contracting since November so I have no paid vacation in site. However, I'm pretty easy to please as far as vacation spots go. A foggy/windy/rainy Oregon Coast is heaven to me!
  • I am sooo looking forward to our cruise to the Caribbean in a little less than two weeks.

All of us are so excited first time cruise.

Can't Wait.

Lisa
  • I hope it's a great experience for you. We took our first cruise last March the the western Caribbean and it was heaven (the cruising part)for me...but my two teenagers were bored to death. None of THEIR friends went...oh well.
    Cheryl
  • Oh yes, I'm counting the days to the New Orlean's Jazz and Heritage Festival (last weekend of April and first weekend of May). I go every year for one of the weekends. This year, I'm going for both and driving the gulf coast to Cedar Key, Fl. I've never been to Mississippi or Alabama. Other than Lulu's and the Floribama, if anyone has suggestions for stops along the way, I would appreciate the advise.

This summer I'm going to HR Banking School in Wisconsin for a week, and taking the next week to drive to Montana. Again, if anyone has travel suggestions, I'd really appreciate them.
  • Deidre: Are you going to be in the Milwaukee area for the conference? Wisconsin is, of course, one of the most beautiful states in the nation! Don't miss just driving around on some of our back roads to see our kettle moraine area (glaciated area). Hills and kettles (depressions) caused by the glaciers. Generally west and either north or south of Milwaukee. Don't miss the Calatrava designed addition to our art museum on the lakefront. It's a destination all by itself. We have a great zoo if you're interested in that kind of stuff. And, if you happen to be in town during Summerfest, GO! Music and food. We have a festival at the lakefront almost every weekend during the summer. And, eat some CHEESE! Enjoy.
  • No I won't be there for the conference. I will be going to University of Wisconsin, Madison for the HR Management School at the Graduate School of Banking (I hope it has a nickname)in August. I'm really looking forward to visiting Michigan and Wisconsin. I've always wanted to travel in your neck of the woods. Thanks for the info.
  • Deidre I reccommend you stop at Chappy's, on hwy 90, it is either between Gulfport and Biloxi, or is just west of Gulfport. The food is really wonderful and right accross the road from the beach - I get wistful just thinking of it.
  • Thank you, I'll mark it down.
  • I'm going to Wild Dunes, just south of Charleston next week. We are going to run the Cooper River 10K. No kids and 4 other couples. I can't wait! The only problem is that the ladies planned a dinner Saturday night, which is Final Four night. The restaurant has no TV's. What to do, what to do? The run is on Saturday, so I might just have to come down with some illness Sat afternoon.
  • I live in a vacation spot so its kind of odd for us. Our vacations are never destination based but rather relative based.

Living in a beautiful but tiny coastal community means that even going to the big city with malls and Starbucks and Krispy Kremes is almost like a vacation.
  • Does Atlanta count? I HATE the traffic there but headed that way tomorrow to see my God daughter in her high school's production of Grease. Should be fun. .also looking forward to a week in the mountains of Tenn over the 4th of July. Seems a long way off right now.
  • We [husband and I] are avid horseback riders. We will be in North Dakota for eight days the first week of June - riding in Roosevelt National Park.

This will be the 6th year and we see something new every year. No phones, tv, pagers - with chats around a camp fire every night, the opporunity to ride with the wild horse and see buffalo, elk, deer, etc. The flowers are blooming and the animals have their babies. I start living for the time out there right around Christmas.

Also planning a 14 day trip this fall to ride horse out in Colorado or Montana mountains.
  • We're going on a cruise to Alaska in June. I said I would never go on a cruise but I think this will be a good way to visit Alaska the first time. We do plan to take a helicopter onto a glacier from one of the ports. I can't wait to go.
  • That sounds great, Fran. That is one my husbands wish list - go to Alaska. Good luck and have a great time.
  • I went to Alaska and had horrible culture shock. Of course, it is not because I was gutting fish at a salmon factory there or anything! Seriously though, my friend and I would walk the 2 miles to "town" (population 700) sometimes after work and had to clap our hands and sing so we wouldn't startle any BEARS by walking up too quietly on them. Let me tell you, two miles in Alaska is like five at home. I felt like I was in the book/movie "The Stand" because there was hardly anyone around...ever. Whenever a car or truck drove by they would always stop and ask us if we needed a ride. Of course, that was totally neighborly of them up there...but two college girls walking on the road and getting offered a ride from where I'm from is bad news. I wasn't in the "pretty part" of Alaska either I guess because all I saw was crapped out boats, weeds, dirt roads, and a fishy smelling bay.
  • My husband just called - vacation in St. Kitts the second week in April. Whoo-hoo!

Anne in Ohio
  • Is he bringing the big screen TV also? x:D
  • No - he's happy to tote his golf clubs and leave the set behind.

Anne in Ohio
  • Boy, do you have him trained. That's one hell of a make up for your distress over the TV. My wife should only be so lucky.
  • We are taking our two young boys to Legoland in CA next month. Wheeeee! x:D
  • I am so jealous! My "vacation" time (and $$) for the last 2 years, and this year is no different, has been used up by either recovering from surgery or remodeling/decorating/fixing my house. At least I enjoy the remodeling and decorating stuff...
  • We're going on our 1st cruise in May to the the Western Carribean and in June, I'm going to the SHRM conference in New Orleans with some HR friends ....already have our reservations for Nola.......
  • I leave for Runaway Bay, Jamaica next Thursday. I'm almost down to counting hours. I need a vacation :) 10 days of heaven!
  • We usually go to the Scott Joplin Ragtime Music Festival in Sedalia, MO, but not this year.

Spouse and I are instructors for the Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) program (sponsored by FEMA and the Department of Homeland Security). The Grand Island (NE) school system is putting all of their teachers and staff through the 20 hours of training during the first two weeks in June, so we'll be spending a week there and each teaching two classes.

Oh, well. I'll still have a couple of days left, so if the Moody Blues US tour comes anywhere near Omaha, we'll probably catch a concert. Already missed getting tickets to the show in Kansas City - good seats were all gone within about 10 minutes.
  • Having just gotten back from 10 days in the Florida Keys (which was awesome!!) I shouldn't be planning another vacation but I am anyway... a trip to Vegas with my husband this fall for our anniversary (if I can talk him into it). I went for my first time last November & can't wait to go back.
  • My fiance and I are planning a trip to Vegas in September. Neither of us have been there before so we're really looking forward to the shows, gambling and cheap buffets! I've already started pinching my pennies so I'll have them to plug in the slot machines!!
  • If you can afford the tickets, I HIGHLY recommend Cirque du Soleil's "O". There's nothing else like it - combination of acrobatics, water ballet, gorgeous makeup and costuming, haunting new-age music. If you see it, you'll never forget it - definitely not your run-of-the-mill Vegas show!