American Idol...

Comments

• I think it's time for Camile to go. I like John Stevens and JPL. My personal opinion on what happened last week (with LaToya in the bottom 3) was that all of John S's fans rallied to give him a TON of votes because they all knew how poorly he sang. So since he got way more than usual, some of the others ended up in the bottom 3. Just my guess...

I'm not a big Fantasia fan either. She's from "Norf" Carolina (as am I) and can't even pronounce the state's name!
  • After last night, John Stevens, Camile, and JPL have to go hopefully over the next three weeks. They we simply awful. I'd also like to see Fantasia go as well but doubt that that will happen. Go George Huff! Doesn't he have the most wonderful simile?
  • If Camile, John Stevens and JPL are not the bottom 3 tonight, I will really be wondering about this voting system....Those 3 should not have even made it this far.
  • I ended up missing most of it last night...I did get to see the very beginning (Fantasia) and the very end (Jennifer)....and the recap, of course.

Elton John is one of my favorites and I was disappointed to miss it.

based upon the recap, I have to agree with all of you...John, JPL and Camille...and I think they know it too.

Fantasia, neat voice, but i can't get past the attitude. I keep waiting for Simon to say something about it...but he's probably afraid to give her that kind of opening on live TV!!!!

I love George...even if he doesn't win...he'll be around....LaToya...Jasmine...I think those are still my top 3.
  • I like the way they grouped them in 3 groups last night. I was very surprised that John Stevens was NOT in the bottom 3. He's SO bad. Coulnd't someone at Idol help him?? He DOES have talent, he just can't get it across!
  • I also liked the grouping...Kind of helped you see where everyone stands....

I think both the Johns have a huge girl fan base...talent or not. Red-hair John does have talent, but he's young...and just hasn't "gotten it" yet...in time...

Very Surprised to see Diana and Jasmine (especially) in the bottom 3...but it seemed that neither was up to par the night before.

I am glad to see Camille go...she was really struggling and it was hard to watch.

• So glad to see Camille go. 90% of the time I couldn't understand the words! She needs nasil surgery, or something.

John - redhead has talent, I just don't think this is the field for him. I see him as a Vegas performer.

JPL - John Paul, his personality is what is pulling him along.

Fantastia - what a voice and the ability to "perform" bringing in the audience. But once she's done singing and opens her mouth, YUK, just don't like the attitude.

George - what can you say, you have to love him. So humble, talented, I would hope to see him go to the end.

Can't remember the name of the gal, short hair, small, African American? She is amazing, voice, stage presents, a class act. Which makes it hard - a toss up between her and George.

Definitely want to sent John then JPL go next.
  • We all seem to be in agreement on the "next to go"...I think red-hair John will be glad to go. He knows he's out of his league...as does JPL.

I think the other gal's name is LaToya...she does have a great voice...I look for her and George to be 1 & 2...it will all depend on how the weeks go by.

LaToya has maintained, she was always great...George has grown so much in the last few weeks...who knows what he has in reserve yet!
  • Overall...I am kind of disappointed in last night's performances. Movie Soundtracks have such diverse options...and I started to feel like I was watching a highschool talent show!

BUT, although Fantasia's personality grates on me...she did a wonderful job last night. She has set herself apart from the others with her ability to not only sing well...but perform!

LaToya also did a great job...but it was a "standard" and I would have liked to see her be creative and reach for something bigger.

I'm beginning to feel badly for the younger ones...the difference in experience is really starting to show. And it does seem that all of the Idols are reaching an Adult Contemporary audience, rather than just a teen pop audience. That makes it hard for the younger ones.

Next to go? Probably Diana...although it really should be John (despite a good performance last night) or JPL.

• I must say that it amazes me that out of the thousands of male singers who auditioned, those that made the final 12 were the best??? I just don't see it. Anyway as an overall "idol" including personality and stage presence I'd give it to Latoyia! Fantasia doesn't have the polish to carry it off and none of the others seem close to doing so. At least not yet!
  • I just can't jump on the Fantasia bandwagon. Admittedly she has a good signing voice and good stage presence, but wasn't it more broadway performance? I just can't stand her personality. JPL had a better night than he has lately, although he forgot a few words. He definitely has his genre. Although the judges didn't like George, I "got it". He just changed the tone of the song and sang it in a mid range. It wasn't his best, but it was good. Jennifer is another one who has a good signing voice, but her facial expressions when she sings 8-| . Jasmine did well I thought. Emotional performance, but she does need another few years to really develop herself more. Diana, what can I say? Flat and out of tune and out of her league with the others. John, better performance last night, but he has got to go! A pet rock has more personality than he has! Latoya did well last night. I think Diana has got to go tonight.

Is it just me or is Quentin Tarantino a big 'geek' to use his words for JPL?
  • Quentin is HORRIBLE! Not to mention funny looking!
  • Quentin is a little geeky but I give him credit for having the nerve to criticize the performers. He was starting to sound a little like Simon...

John Stevens, JPL, and Diana DiGarmo have got to go. LaToya, Jennifer and Fantasia were fantastic but I still can't get past Fantasia's attitude although last night I didn't see it as much as before. Maybe someone brought it to her attention that an American idol can't act that way. We'll see tonight what happens.
  • John Stevens should have been gone a long time ago. He must have his fan club really hooked up making the calls for him. JPL isn't bad but he isn't Idol material. HOWEVER, Diana DeGarmo is great. She has the voice, the stage presence, etc. Nothing agaisnt Fantasia though. To me, #1 & #2 would be George & Diana. xclap
  • >HOWEVER, Diana DeGarmo is great. She has the voice, the stage presence,etc.

One question...Did you actually listen to last night's performance or did you have cotton in your ears? It was excruciatingly painful to listen to.

• After Diana's last couple of performances, I think she may not be on much longer - I originally thought she could be a front runner but she just has not been that strong lately.

I loved Fantasia's performance last night - she performs like a seasoned pro. I also thought Jennifer Hudson & Latoya did very well, although Jennifer's expressions do bug me too.

I have had enough of both Jon & JPL, if neither of them arrive in bottom 3 tonight, I will be so disgusted.

A lot of the musical arrangements sounded so "Karoake", didn't they?
  • In my humble opinion I don't feel the judges should have selected 16 year olds to perform against mature adult singers if they were going to berate them for being 16! Maybe they should rethink their contest and have a "teen idol" contest too. "Frank Sinatra" will probably one day get a recording contract. He is GOOD just lacks maturity and stage presence which can be learned at the young age of 16 if he has a good agent/coach. In fact I'm surprized Idol hasn't done more with/for him.
  • OK, I have to confess that I was gone last night & didn't hear the competition. I am basing my opinion on the previous nights performances. But was Diana really that bad?
  • was Diana that Bad.....:-?

by herself, no. She does have a nice voice...and she's really cute and spunky. But she chose a tough song to sing (my heart will go on)... and she did seem to have an off night. She seems to do better with upbeat music.

Fantasia did sort of put on a broadway show...but her personality seemed to have softened over the last week.

It's tough for 16 year olds to compete with someone like LaToya who's been singing in front crowds for a long time. Although, George has come a long way, and I think he's only 22. He has absorbed a lot of the critique and used it to improve. Maybe the teens just aren't sure how to do that yet.

Jasmine is so sweet...I think this is not the end of the road for her, eventhough she's not likely to be the "Idol"

I think you're right both Jons' have a huge fan base casting votes. But as Simon says "this is what happens when you let America decide"

• I missed it last night....what happened????

• Well I was sad to see JPL go so soon and before Jon and Diana, but at least the bottom 3 were picked right this week! I just hope that the fan base Jon has doesn't carry him too much farther. Next week will probably be a good week for him with Barry Manilow songs though.
  • You know, the more I watch these people the more I've decided that I wouldn't buy a album from any of them!
  • JPL is scheduled to appear on Regis and Kelly on Monday and probably other TV shows too so he will be getting something from this.
  • I am glad that JPL is gone, although John Stevens should have probably gone before them (he looks so shocked each week that it is not him going off!)

I can't think of any other Barry Manilow songs that could be done next week besides Mandy, Copacabana or the American Bandstand theme - none of which make me that excited to watch the show!
  • I agree. John Stevens looks like a deer caught in headlights! Poor kid. BUT he will end up with something out of this I'm sure.
  • Barry Manilow has written so many songs that you'd never even realize. I think he's written many of Barbra Streisand's biggest songs. So maybe it won't be limited to song's that he has recorded???
  • I'm assuming that JPL took it well and was gracious...

who were the top 3?

LaToya, Jennifer, and George?
  • JPL went out with a bang. Sang Jailhouse Rock again and went into the audience to sing. Even got his father to dance a bit. He sounded better than he did the night before. They didn't do the same thing as last week, but they did do something different. They had 5 sitting in the top row and 3 in the bottom row (JPL, Diana, John). All 5 in the top row were done first and they all were safe, which left the bottom 3. Diana became the safe one and the two John's were left.

and yes, John does look shocked every week that he isn't voted off. Makes you wonder how he gets so many votes if even he isn't confident in his skills.
  • OK, who's the loser tonight? My money is on John Stevens. How about the rest of you?
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-22-04 AT 06:53AM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 04-22-04 AT 06:52 AM (CST)[/font]

This is my first time to post to this topic. I have not been able to watch American Idol on a regular basis but have watched enough to know what is going on. I was stunned last night to see who the bottom 3 picks were! I thought for sure that John Stevens would be gone last night. Those 3 girls, IMHO, were so good. I am shocked at the vote. Anyone else out there as shocked as I was last night? x:o

Becky