My boss is going to kill me!

This is a long one so get ready!

I am in a difficult situation and need your help before I act. I have worked for my current boss for the past 5 years. Over time I have gained the respect and developed profesional friendships with most of the Directors and Executives in my company. My boss , HR Director, is not a social butterfly and despite being with the company for 10 years is not liked by many. My boss still feels that it is HR's respondsibility to be a strick old HR school hall monitor and is does not care about the true nature of the business. Anytime I mention a new idea or project she says that sounds great put it in writing then e-mail it to me. When I do that she never responds or says now is not a good time. This is causing me to loss my creative aggressiveness and become very bored with my work.

Another problem for me is she gets frustrated anytime I mention that one of the executives or Directors called me about a situation. She will make comments like "why are you talking to them they should be calling me" and I respond I do not know but they did not call you so I felt it would be OK if I handled the situation. She now wants be to pass all of these calls to her and CC her on every e-mail I send to a Director or Executive (in the past I would send her a re-cap of what happened). She has now outlined that I only handle employment and employee relations and if anyone calls even though I know the answer I need to pass it along to her or a benefits person. She has mentioned out of frustration to others that these males Executive must like me becasue I am male ie Good ole boys club. We have a support staff of about 6 , all females, individuals and they know my boss and I do not get along. They have mentioned to me that they hate working for her as well.

I have tried to talk with my boss about my frustration and she denies the activity or just does not care to listen. Should I go above her head? Should I just stop whinning and suck it up? Should I quit and take my talents elsewhere?

Help

Comments

• 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I don't see many rays of sunshine peering through the circumstances outlined in your post. It is probably the most difficult type of position to be in when the people who should be going to your boss are actually going to you to deal with their issues. The resentment your boss feels (I'm assuming she feels resentment) is probably the genesis for her micromanagement of your work and company contacts. I have only encountered a similar situation once in my career and basically I just had to screw up the courage to speak frankly about my concerns to my boss. I made sure I had my resume and all my professional contacts in order before I did so in case the conversation didn't go well. Fortunately, it went reasonably well - my boss was not overly defensive but did admit to being resentful of my rapport with others. If you don't feel that comfort level with your boss, maybe you ought to start testing the waters and prepare to take your talents elsewhere.
  • Thanks for the advice. I have started looking elsewhere a received a couple of offers but I work for a large company in a small town so their are not to many companies willing to match my pay rate and I can not take a pay cut.

Thanks
  • Beagle has stated it more succinctly than I, but he is right. I feel your pain as I am in a similar situation. Couple things
    . .I try to not add fuel to the fire..keep her well informed and redirect those who are by passing her. I always try to say.."You will need to run that by Tom" or "Have you talked to Tom yet".
    I would continue to try to talk to her. .it may not work for you, but I do confront, when applicable, to point out why others avoid..
    I probably would not go above her head, but it depends on how hard you have tried to resolve the issue with her directly and what the climate is up there. I would also tell her I am going above her head, or better yet, request a conflict resolution meeting that includes her with the next level.
    My decision as to whether to suck it up or move on (I am staying and sucking it up)was made based on some circumstances that you may want to think about.
    AGE-I don't want to move again, I came here with the goal of retiring from here...too old xx( What do you think the goal is of your boss? Mine is due to retire within a couple years so I can see a light at the end of the tunnel. If I was younger and looking at this continuing for 10 years, I would be gone in a heartbeat.
    CONTRIBUTION-I know I do contribute and make a difference.

If you do chose to suck it up, then you do have to not whine. Remain professional at all times and do not discuss your relationship with her with co-workers or other Directors.

Good luck. I really do feel for you!

• Ditto sonny.
    I would not go above her head but if you do let her know first. Tell her that the level of frustration you are feeling is affecting your ability to effectevily contribute to the department. Then tell her youd like to sit down with her and her supervisor to discuss how you both can work together to make the department run smoothly.
    But, again, and believe me I know, look for someplace else. When the forumites start saying that another job is the way to go BELIEVE THEM!
    Can you relocate?
    Cristina
  • Unfortunately I can not relocate at this time. Thanks for the input.
  • Your situation sounds eerily like mine (was). My boss micromanaged everything I did, wanted to be cc'd, but she never took action and never had anything to offer either way. I think that deep down she, too, was envious of the rapport I have with my clients because she simply did not have the same rapport with anyone.

So, cc her, make her happy. I suspect that she will eventually tire of receiving all the calls and you will be able to provide the assistance you have been.

To be honest, cc'ing her can actually work to your benefit, I had a complaint once and my boss reacted as if I singlehandedly caused the demise of the corporation and my response to her was that she WAS, in fact, aware of the situation because I had cc'd her on the e-mail. There was an awkward silence which confirmaed my suspicion that the whole cc thing was nothing more than a power trip, she never actually read anything I sent.
  • "Should I go above her head? Should I just stop whinning and suck it up? Should I quit and take my talents elsewhere?"

Going over her head could bite you down the road when it comes to references.

Sucking it up will only lead to continued unhappiness & maybe health issues.

I vote for taking your talents elsewhere. You've been there 5 years & have had the same boss during that time. You've developed a rapport among the other Directors & many in the office support you or at least share your same concerns about your boss. Yet, you are not the boss. You sound from your post to be ambitious, creative & outgoing - why hold yourself back? Go find that great job that will help you establish yourself as the Leader you want to be. Good luck! x:-)

• I had a similar situation myself. I sat down and had a heart to heart with my boss and the gist of it was to stop micromanaging me and I'll start including you. I told her I felt like I was the mole in that carnival game, where you whack it when it's head pops up. I told her that whenever I feel micromanaged, I'll just mention the mole game. Your boss doesn't want to lose control, and I don't blame her. She's the boss. Would you like it if you were in her position? You've been there 5 years and you want to be the boss and you probably would be a great boss. But your not. If you decide to stay I would quit being her adversary and get on her team, otherwise it is not good for you or the company. If you can't do that, I would move on. But remember, the grass is always greener on the other side.
  • SMace offers valuable input. I read a little between the lines. One: you have 6 others who are subordinate to you and your boss. They should never know if there is a problem between you and the boss.

You are a people person and your boss is not. Everyone likes you better. Could this be because you don't ever have to take the heat for unpopular decisions such as increases in health care, layoffs, terminations, suspensions, etc. As SMace implied, consider being in her position. As they say, "it's lonely at the top."

You would not be able to maintain friendly personal relationships with many of the staff if you were the HR Director. Definitely be supportive and give her what she's asking.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-04-03 AT 01:21PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Interesting how a lot of us have similar experiences. Unfortunately, it is a part of human nature. I vote with the rest, going over her head will only bring on more resentment, especially if management supports her and does nothing to help solve the problem. Continuing as you are will only add to your frustration. I've always advised people who have severe conflicts with their boss to either figure how they can change to better satisfy the boss or look for work elsewhere. I, too work for a micromanager, but he is at corporate 5 hours away by car. Makes it a little easier. He told me several years ago that at a previous employer he had a boss who always contradicted him. If he is was black, the boss said it was white... if he said you're right boss, it is white, the boss would change his mind and say no, black. He treats me the same way. I've just learned to manage my boss, when to challenge him and when to back off and do as told.

PS. Sonny, you are not old - you are a week and a half younger than me.
  • Thank you all for your helpfull input. Let me respond to some of your questions. I have been very respectful to keep the differences between my boss and myself confidential. The reason why these subortinate confided in me is because they used to work for me. About 6 months ago my boss made the comment that it would look best if she had more subordinates so she took the 6 from me and changed them to her. I was insulted at first but made her put in writing that this change was in no way a reflection of my poor management. Oddly enough she agreed.

One thing I forgot to mention is she is 8 months pregnant and about to go out on leave so I will have a little breathing room. I will keep you posted on how everything turns out.

Also I am 28 and would love to retire soon but the odds are slim.

Thanks again
    Craig
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-04-03 AT 05:54PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-04-03 AT 05:53 PM (CST)[/font]

>Also I am 28 and would love to retire soon but
    >the odds are slim.
    >
    I thought you sounded like you want to reach the finish line before you started from your first post. The comment above shows me that's true.

I'm going to play the devil's advocate just for perspective. Craig, this is not a personal attack, so please don't take it that way. You sound very intelligent and if you are as good a boss as you think you are you will not take this personally. You want advice and I'm going to be very blunt.

It sounds like you are micromanaging your boss. And she thinks you want to micromanage her out of a job, so she is wasting her time proving to others that she is capable in her position by doing things that don't benefit the company. Whether it is implied or it is very obvious you are tearing her down in front of others. It sounds like if you are not the boss, your boss should be absolutley perfect. It doesn't work that way. She's not perfect and neither are you. So if you are going to stay, cut her some slack and try to fill in where she needs help and point out where she is great. And when you fill in, point out the issues to her, not the BOD or her subordinates. I bet her vision will change when she see's your working for the good of the HR team and not yourself.

If you think I'm a crackpot, you will not be the first. But just some perspective from someone that has been in your position and your boss's position.

• We are an HR dept of eight. The only male works for me, the employee relations manager - and while I don't feel your pain, I'm sure he would. He gets to do a lot of the fun stuff, employee parties, service awards, bowling for turkeys, etc. etc. I walk the floor but the employees are more familiar with him and believe him to be much more a "people" person than I. I can't get my nose too out of joint when they go to him because I have to trust him to send them my way if that's where they need to be. That hasn't always been the case - and we had our own little come to (insert deity here) meeting to make sure he understood the difference. It was a tense time but we got through it - and now we complement each other nicely - have been doing so for more than seven years. I laugh when some of the vendors contact me as Mike's "secretary." Puts 'em back on their heels a bit when I say, no, he works for me.

I guess the point of this is the light at the end of the tunnel doesn't have to be a train. So give the communication another try, if need be a sit down with the two of you and her direct report. If that doesn't work, then you've gotten some great advice above.

• >"I vote for taking your talents elsewhere. You've been there 5 years & have had the same boss during that time. You've developed a rapport among the other Directors & many in the office support you or at least share your same concerns about your boss. Yet, you are not the boss. You sound from your post to be ambitious, creative & outgoing - why hold yourself back? Go find that great job that will help you establish yourself as the Leader you want to be. Good luck!"

I'm going to agree with the anti-Don, MWild, whose comment appears above. There is no way you will work through this situation and remain there happily. The only solution is to locate something more tolerable. You are 28, want to retire soon, cannot relocate and cannot accept less money? Bull Cr*p! You are not fooling 200 of us. Are you fooling you?
  • "I'm going to agree with the anti-Don, MWild, whose comment appears above."

I'm not "anti-Don". I think you just take it that way because you get ticked off at me all the time - especially when I disagree with you. I think you're swell & very smart (I've said it here as well as privately) - we just seem to disagree a bunch & I don't know how to not ruffle your feathers. However, ce'st la vie! x:-)
  • Lots of really good advice to consider before reacting.

Picking up on one of the pieces of information you shared - your boss is 8 months pregnant - is this her first? There was an article posted on MSN today about a research project done on rats with and without children. Those with children were less likely to be reactive and more relaxed about things. They were more flexible and pragmatic as seemed to take into account the fact that they were also responsible for someone other than themselves.

Having a few children of my own and remembering the pre-parenting days (and now wonder how anyone could have stood working for me at that time) - would recommend taking another view of this in a few months once she's back from leave.

Good luck! Please let us know how it turns out.
  • The decision to leave is a difficult one -- you can afford to leave if you are as unhappy as you say. There are lots of ways we can compensate for the immediate loss of income -- not having to take an extra hour to readjust for home is one of them -- look at consolidation loans or refinancing loans for lower payments to make up the difference. Also, get your family involved, they may be willing to forgo the pay channels on cable or satellite to put happy back in home life. If you have had offers you are fortunate -- not everyone has a job market that allows them to make a change.

You also stated your boss is 8 months pregnant -- my experience shows that in a month or so she will be out for 8-12 weeks which should give you some opportunity to see how her job is really done. It should also give you a "fresh start" should you decide to stay.

Good luck in your decision. I know it's tough.
  • It sounds like your boss is a control freak who doesn't care much about customer service or the team concept. For HR to function appropriately both of these function need to run smoothly. I delt with a similar situation in the past. My old boss worked for the company for 24 years. Finally one day I had had enough and went straight to the top dog. He said that he felt the same way and that I should expect some big changes soon. The following Monday she was terminated. It was not just because of my complaint but I am sure it was another straw on the camels back. Don't be afraid to talk to the executive staff.
  • This is one situation that I would love to hear the "other side". I have sat behind this desk too long to buy into everything you have stated. Sounds to me that you are hell bent for her job. AND you just might be using the "good ole boy" system.
  • Ritaanz, I agree with you 100%.
  • SMACE and Ritannz you are partially correct. I do want her job, just as I would think any employee with any sense of ambition would. Nothing is on sell here so you need not try to buy anything that I have stated. Should I sit back, be the HR professional of the past, and not aggressively attempt to make a positive impact on the Executive Board? Do I know that I would be more successful, no way, and I understand that her job is a difficult one. If I wanted to use the good ole boy system, I would have a couple of years ago. I have been very professional throughout my tenure and that is one thing that will not change. I do appreciate your opinions and words to challenge me to think about the other side of the situation.
  • It seems you have a lot to offer and it must be difficult not to be able to use all of your talents. I am a HR Director and I would love to have someone with your ambition. Although, if employees are coming to you for benefit information, counselling type issues and you do not work in the benefit department . . . answering their inquiries could be risky. I had an Assistant that also was very energetic and on several occasions she gave bad advice. For example - an employee asked her if a certain hospital was in our health care network and she told the employee that the hospital was. It wasn't. My assistant had forgotten that employees outside the county could opt for a different PPO. The employee had to pay a $7xx.00 bill. Also, she felt she was qualified to give investing advice on 401K, which we all know that we should not do. Also, an employee consulted her regarding problems with her husband and she also gave advice without supply information on where she could get professional advice. Therefore, I would suggest that you speak with your boss and ask her how you should handle the various situations if it doesn't fall under your position with the company. I know how it is - I was a Personnel Clerk early in my career and employees were not comfortable going to my boss, the Industrial Relations Manager but early in my career I did have to ask him the answers to a lot of questions, but from that I learned his job well and he loved that because it put him in a better position for promotions if he had someone to step into his shoes. Just sit down and have a heart to heart talk about your frustrations with your boss. Also, whether you like your boss or not, you need to be loyal to her. If you haven't had a conversation with her you shouldn't take your problem to a higher position. Good luck