I guess I should have known

2»

Comments

• Cristina, what is your motive for legal action, blow the whistle to "punish" your former employer, help the remaining ee's, or ensure you get what's coming to you? I think you need to decide what you hope to accomplish before you decide what course of action to take.
  • I don't want anything " coming" to me. I want to make sure that the company and it's ee's are ok.
    I am totally willing to give up anything on my behalf to insure the contuing business of the Co-op. In fact, I have decided that all I can do is tell the BOD what I have learned and then go away.
    I have cared about this company for 4 years and a bit, a short time to some, but a commitment to me
    It is a different kind of company than most. It is a not for profit that strives to make a profit and make a difference about how food products are bought and sold.
    Ray A, I probably do have a feeling of vengeance for my former employers. What else can you feel when under these circumstances? But I am slowly coming to terms with what has happened.
    I think that I will move on, and soon.
    I will probably still chime in every once in a while.
    Cristina

• What you may also want to consider if you decide to deal directly with the Co-op rather than through an attorney is to confirm what will be stated to prospective employers when they call for references in addition to severance(though if it were me would think it worth an exploratory conversation with a lawyer). Unfortunately a legal action is what causes some executives to pay attention and deal with the problem that is at hand.

Good luck in your search! With all the scandals out there it can be disheartening - HR professionals like you are desparately needed to get the heart and soul back into these organizations that have lost their way.
  • Cristina, so sorry to hear about your situation. I believe that your concern for your former company and its employees proves your loyality and your desire to do right/good by the company. I know you must be devistated.
    I would urge you, like others, to decide exactly what you want "from" the Company and go for it. (Whether it be an apology, honest answers, money, etc.) Also, I know it is hard, but you need to begin to separate yourself from the company... don't worry about the group enrollments. That is their problem now and there is nothing you can do about it.
    As was said before, sometimes something like this is the best thing for us. We get so wrapped up in our work and issues we can't see that they aren't healthy for us and we can't get out of it. I know with time you will feel so much better and will be able to "sleep at night'. There is someone out there who needs and wants you, just take your time to find the right place. (I know it is espeically hard this time of year to be without a job.) Take a little time to spend with friends and family and find something constructive to do with your time (whether it is cleaning out a closet, doing volunteer work, or looking for a job.)
    Don't worry about what potential employees might think. I gave my present employer references of people I worked closely with at my prior employer, not the owner and "heads". (Turned out when I gave my resignation the President asked if I needed any references.) You might want to contact some of these and ask if you can use them.
    You are a dedicated, talented, loyal person. Relax and find someone who wants you. Good luck.
    EWart
    E Wart
  • Cristina,

Keep your chin up! I join everyone in their sympathy for you! It is a tough experience to live through but it will be bright in the end!

Here is a suggestion: A regular employment/background verification company (lots of the Internet) that for a reasonable amount of money ($20-$70) can do an employment verification check on you. The only difference is that you are the one who orders it.

They will act on your behalf as if they were doing verification for your "new" employer. They will give the name of their company but not of the ficticious one. They will provide you with a report explaining what your last company said about you. They will also try to loosen your former company's HR's tongue.

I am not sure what MA regulations allow in regard to employmenent verification disclosure but if your former employer does not badmouth you, at least, such employment verification will give you a peace of mind for your future job search, or some actionable item...

All the best to you!!!

Alex
  • Hi everyone!
    I had a meeting with the CFO who fired me on friday. I asked for full pay until unemployment kicks in and health benefits for three months. They have done this in the past.
    I then went to copy my personnel file during which she came up to me and said she had to run some errands, we even shook hands. I was left alone to copy my file and clean out my office. I would never have allowed this with a terminated employee under my circumstances. I even told her by email that while I copied my file a representative of the company should be there! I also had to get on my old computer and print out the UE acknowledgent form so that I could sign it and give it to her!
    Had a great weekend though. The Pats RULE!!!
    Couldn't sleep last night. Cleaned the bathroom instead. Plan to clean the closet out today.
  • Thanks for keeping us updated. You sound better today. Good luck & in spite of your temporary circumstance, have as nice of a holiday as you are able to.
  • Hang in there, Cristina, and always remember to look out for #1 (no one else will). Please keep us posted on how things turn out.

Those Pats are amazing. xclap

James Sokolowski
    HRhero.com
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 12-10-03 AT 08:34PM (CST)[/font][br][br]Well I met with the president of the BOD today. By the end of the meeting he was totally sympathetic and appreciated my coming forward. I think he was unnerved by the things I had documented. He went so far as to say that he would definitely discuss my severance request with the GM. He had previously told me that the BOD does not enter into severance discussions.
    I asked for pay until UE kicks in (for which I have already applied) and three months health benefits. I asked the GM for this yesterday and I had asked for this on friday with the CFO
    Well, I recieved an email from the GM today saying that he was only willing to give me health benefits until the end of January. I have no idea if he responded to my request before or after he met with BOD President.
    Money is really tight with us as my SO pays heavy child support. This is going to be a hard holiday season.
    After I spoke with the CFO on friday I had to print out my own UE info acknowledgement form. I also printed out one for her future use. I know it's petty but can I consider this hours worked? I was hourly.
    This really sucks.
    Thanks for all your support.
    Cristina