I'm thinking about resigning

This isn't a har-de-har at all, but I could use some feedback. Does anyone ever just get so overwhelmed they consider resigning? This isn't exactly the job I always dreamed of anyway. I'm tired of the things I do and there are some other issues with this job that just nag at me. I don't know if it's just me or the feelings I have toward the company. In the time I have been here I have been asked to do some things which I question. I'm getting prepared right now to do something that I'm just not sure I'm right with. I know that what I'm dealing with is just business, and in the beginning I honestly felt like what happened was appropriate but now I have reason to believe that maybe it wasn't. What do you do when you just aren't happy anymore?

Comments

• 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hey, I think we all feel this way from time to time. But...y'know, every job has its good points and bad points and its ups and downs. Some weeks I just want to run screaming from the building, but usually the next week, it's not so bad.

The only thing I couldn't put up with is if I felt pressured to do things that I felt were unethical or just against my principles in general. When considering changing jobs, I usually draw a line down the center of a piece of paper, and list the pros and cons of where I am now.

Respect for you and the position you hold is worth a lot. If you don't feel this respect, then it's probably time to look elsewhere.

Good luck - it's almost Friday.
  • I can relate to your post, because I am on my way out of this job. The sooner the better. I work at a company where a lot is based on "supervisor's discretion" and the supervisors are best friends with some ee's and the rest they hate, so it's impossible to get anything done based on facts, it's all based on emotion.

Basically, when the s**t finally hits the fan around here, I want to be far away. I was on the phone yesterday with the attorney about three separate employee cases and we only have 32 employees, for goodness sake.

There is no job in the world that is worth keeping if you dread coming to work day after day. If you are asked to do things that you don't believe in, you are performing as a puppet rather than a manager. Occasionally you have to bite the bullet and do something against your wishes, but if you're always in the minority, you're either working for the wrong people, the wrong company or the job is the wrong fit for you.

Hold your head high and be proud of your accomplishments to date; chances are you've had some successes in your past and you need to be proud of them and find the right fit for you.
  • I keep a resignation letter ready at all times! Sometimes I find that it helps to just put it in writing...and then I'm ready to get back to work. Must be careful with the letter though....don't hit "print" by accident!!!

I believed that most companies were alike...same cast of characters with different faces until a friend took this job in NYC. Not that everything is perfect, but the company really seems to have it together.

So I guess the morale is that if you're not happy, start looking...a great fit might be right around the corner!

• Yes, we all get discouraged from time to time. Several others among us have left their jobs or have changed jobs during this past year. I set a standard for myself that I will not do anything I consider unethical or at worst illegal. A couple of times my boss has instructed me to do something I felt was unethical and I refused to do it. And I told him so. The last time, earlier this summer, that I did what I thought was best it worked out perfectly. Even my boss had to admit I was successful.

In my current situation, my dotted line report is to the local VP (plant manager) who sees HR strictly as an administrative dept who rubber stamps what he wants. But my solid line report is to a corporate director who could go toe to toe with Don D, in fact those two are very much alike. Obviously, he believes in a strong HR and fortunately supports me 100%. If it were not for him, the VP would have fired me a long time ago, because I'm not the rubber stamper type. Even though I have 25 years in this business, I have only 6 years in HR and my corporate boss has been a good mentor. I believe it is important to have someone you trust to go to for advice, help, consolation, whatever.

• Yes, yes, yes, oh yes. I want to leave most of the time. The reasons I stay is that if I leave it will hurt the company (one of you out there, I think it was Don D, told me that that was one of the worst reasons to stay) I don't hate the Co. just the management practices. It is hard to explain but we are a not-for -profit and I truly care about the Co. and it's ee's. The other reason I stay is that I have 0 background in this proffession except for the 3 yesrs I've had here and I think I am a little insecure. And finally my new cfo has decided to take my position to the next level and pay for continued training for me. I can't pass that up.
    I think if your miserable job is causing a miserable life then it is time to go.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-25-03 AT 10:33AM (CST)[/font][p]I left my last job after 12 years (6 in HR). The company was (still is) great. My former boss was a good guy but wouldn't hold managers accountable for their actions. The Pollyanna in me kept saying "try a different approach - it will get better". It never did.

I was done with tolerating unethical behavior, poor quality work, lack of commitment from some managers, and I was done being taken for granted. Leaving was gut-wrenching - there were so many who had been there longer than me and are still there, whom I respect and admire. I still keep in touch with a few.

I've been with my "new" company for 2 years and never regretted the decision to leave the old one. I wrestled with the idea of leaving for a year which was enough time to make darned sure I was making the right decision for ME.

It's rarely an easy decision to leave. It just hits you at some point that you've been entertaining the thought of leaving for WAAYYYY too long and it's time to go.

Good luck in making your decision.
  • When I started here I was fresh off the boat, so to speak. I came into this job and had my eyes opened real fast. I can't explain it other than to say that I was told things that I accepted and now am finding that these things were lucky to be half truths at best and the things I have seen since only enforce that feeling. Now I am being asked about a particular incedent and I'm really not sure what approach to take. And the hostility at work makes my job impossible at times. I hear rumors through the grapevine all the time that this was all my fault, I did these things so that my manager would get fired so I could take her place (not true at all, I spoke with the manager and she said she was told to do it from someone else) and that at least one manager is saying that he doesn't support our actions. The paper ran a story about this so now all the employees are talking about "all the illegal actions are finally catching up with us" and that we are going to get what is coming. All the employees turned into lawyers overnight.

It goes without saying that I prefere not to tell people where I work. A friend of mine said she was in a conversation with some people who had read the article. Needless to say the comments weren't pretty at all. I can't get away from the situation but I don't think staying is an option anymore.
  • That sounds like an almost insurmountable situation. We talk about problems vs. challenges. This goes far beyond a challenge. Lock Haven being a relatively small town, I'm sure gossip travels very quickly. Sounds like your credibility is being questioned by both management and line ee's. That makes it extremely difficult. I'd probably be packing my bags if I were you and head toward the big city of Williamsport.
  • Remember the old adage, "I was looking for a job when I found this one." I have never advocated jumping ship or burning bridges, but eventually, enough will have to be enough. Aside from the professional turmoil within which you are working, it doesn't sound as though the emotion turmoil associated with it is much better. Doing what is best for you may be the best thing all around. Just like everyone, I spend days, and sometimes weeks, really disliking my work environment for various reasons, those things that can be changed are, and if they are unchangable, it has to be lived with. When the unchangable gets to the point that you simply cannot live with it any longer, it is time to go...

Katrina Hutchins

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible..." ~ Walt Disney
  • I agree with Katrina - I'm a "look before you leap" type, and have never left one job without having a new one to go to.

I'm also not a quitter - I tend to keep looking for things to change, get better. But it sometimes gets to a point when the dread of going to work every morning becomes all-consuming, and the frustrations of the day haunt your weekends and your dreams.

As I write this, I realize that I've now been in my current job for just about as long as I spent on the horrible one I left two and a half years ago. I knew I had to get out, because the frustration was nearly crippling. But it took a "final straw" to make me update the resume - sitting at a dinner (spouses included) during which the new VP of Administration (whom I thought would bring a real-world perspective to the provincial thinkers in the company) extolling the Christian virtues of the company President (the guy who referred to his whole workforce as a bunch of f***ing losers). I had to fight back the tears and resist bolting from the table - after my spouse saw first-hand that night what I'd been telling him about, he encouraged me to pull myself up out of the black hole I'd been existing in, and I now have the most wonderful job I could ever have imagined!

My advice - make your decision and your move BEFORE your self-esteem drops so low that you feel as if this is the best you can do. Don't let your current situation paralyze you into inertia - you have value to bring to an organization that will appreciate your presence! Best wishes!
  • No matter what I decide, I'm going to stay at least for a few more months. That should give me some time to assess my options. I just hope I can stick it out until then.