DON D's CENTERFOLD PHOTO

Comments

• I must disagree. I have a goatee, not a VanDyke. I've been calling it a goatee since I grew it four years ago. I was even presented with a Beanie Baby goat to commemorate it. x;-)
  • Okay, this scares me. I also date an "Analretentive about facial hair" man. WOCO Frank - you don't secretly live in Joplin and are a social worker?

I thought there would only be one in the world.

Zanne

PS He also has a Van Dyke.
  • Van Dyke, goatee..sorry guys, but I don't like either..weird like beards and mustaches, not half and half. Am sure you are all devasted. . .(right)
  • Believe it or not, I had to research facial hair extensively at a previous employer (the owner was okay with some styles but not all).

A goatee is a vertical strip that extends to (or over) the chin. It is not connected to any other facial hair, including a moustache, sideburns, etc. Get face to face with a goat and you'll know why they named it a goatee. :)

The previous employer I mentioned did not allow goatees, nor the goatee's diminutive cousin, the "soul patch". Van Dykes were okay, but not on sales reps because they look "evil" (His words, not mine). Any beard could not touch your shirt or collar with your head held in a normally erect position, etc. etc. I must tell you, I've taken a lot of grief over the years for dress code policies I've written, but nothing like the infamous "beard buster" I had to post!
  • I'm not sure I would say "evil" for the Van Dyke- but devilish is okay!

Do you think that applies to Don D.?

Zanne

• Absolutely. Put the picture to the responses and equates to devilish to me.
    x}>
  • Ever notice how this little critter x}> looks a bit like Don's picture?
  • There is only one thing I would question more than the sanity of a boss who would ask someone to research facial hair in an effort to develop and define a company policy - AND THAT IS THE SANITY OF THE EMPLOYEE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY DO IT!!! Once in a lifetime, look your boss in the face, and feel how good it feels to say, "You are one crazy son-of-a-bitch if you think I'm going to do that. I've got real work to do!"

To paraphrase (slaughter) something we used to say back in college, "Show me a man who doesn't have facial hair and I'll steal his wife away from him!" Elaboration refused.
  • >Once in a lifetime, look your boss in the face, and feel how good it feels >to say, "You are one crazy son-of-a-bitch if you think I'm going to do that. >I've got real work to do!"

Funny thing..., after leaving this post, I see DonD's not in today!?! Might there be a connection?

• At that time, I didn't have any real work to do. ;)

Seriously - my boss was such a rigid manager I was only allowed to work on assignments he gave me. When I was done, I would literally sit and wait for something else. When I started there, I thought I would impress the brass by asking department heads if they needed me to work on anything. When my boss returned from a leave and found out about this, he gave me my first and final warning, under threat of termination. He was a loon, and so was the owner. I wasn't there long.

P.S. for Don - I've had facial hair forever, so stay away from my house. :P
  • I've always been the type of girl who liked clean shaven guys, til I met my husband. He even shaved off his goatee once and I made him grow it back! Love the goatee now..

So I guess I am a reformed anti-facial hair gal..

• When my two girls were little (too many long years ago, now--I'm like DonD, eager always for their phone calls), from birth until about age 9 and 7 they knew their daddy with a full beard. Then, on my 40th birthday I celebrated by cuting it off while they watched. When it was all gone, my youngest said: "Cool Dad! Do it again." And my oldest burst into tears and ran to her room and wouldn't come out until later that day!

Ahh, the memories.
  • >There is only one thing I would question more than the sanity of a
    >boss who would ask someone to research facial hair in an effort to
    >develop and define a company policy - AND THAT IS THE SANITY OF THE
    >EMPLOYEE WHO WOULD ACTUALLY DO IT!!! Once in a lifetime, look your
    >boss in the face, and feel how good it feels to say, "You are one
    >crazy son-of-a-bitch if you think I'm going to do that. I've got real
    >work to do!"
    >
    >To paraphrase (slaughter) something we used to say back in college,
    >"Show me a man who doesn't have facial hair and I'll steal his wife
    >away from him!" Elaboration refused.

I Love It!!! It think we have all had bosses we we'd like to try this out on! We need to start another thread. "Things We Wish We Could Say Without Getting Our Butts Fired"....but again, we DO have to be tasteful!

• Hey Sonny, after 25 years of being hirsute, I am clean shaven.

My wife sent some pictures of my recent 50th birthday party to my daughter who hasn't seen me since Christmas. She didn't recognize the old hairless man in the pictures until my wife told her it was me. First she has seen me cleanshaven in at about 8 years.
  • I attended a benefits seminar in Memphis earlier this week. There were 85 people there, none of whom I had ever seen before since I'm new here. A lady came up to me and looked at my ID badge and said, "You're not?" I just looked blank I suppose. "You're not Don D. are you?" "I don't know what you're talking about," I said. Just didn't have the nerve to own up to it I guess. I don't know why I did that. Maybe I thought she'd punch me out.
  • Don,

She probably wanted to give you a big huge of thanks - for all the great humor and wonderful advice.

tish
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-18-03 AT 12:03PM (CST)[/font][p]Hi Don, Sorry, been really busy, still am.
    Where is this economic slow-down in construction?
    Anyway, congrats on the bike & goatee. My older
    brother in LA. just bought a 94 Harley Softtail
    (FOR $1400!!,8,000 miles!!!). He'll turn 50 in
    September. My older sister is getting all her
    teeth capped and whitened. Meanwhile, their
    bratty little sister who's always been "the
    rebel black sheep of the family" still hangs
    out on week-ends with wild musicians, bikers,
    punkers, aging rockers, bluegrass pickers,
    and any group/persons who can uniquely entertain
    me. Anyway,as I've always lived near the edge, my
    mid-life crisis has not been that noticable.
    CONGRATS and wear your helmut!!

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 07-18-03 AT 12:04PM (CST)[/font][p]Sorry, me again. Aw, in jest, we
    share our dreams, just keep it
    real and keep it clean. And
    remember, pee all you can pee.
    Let us baby boomers reform
    social security!! End pollution!!
    Have whirled peas!! Yes, we're
    all getting there. Just read
    through most of the messages
    posted and think"All the lonely
    people, where do they all come
    from?"
  • I'm slow to see this one, since I'm usually stuck on legal questions and don't take time for the humor section. I'll change my ways and find time for the truly important things in life. Thanks for giving us a face to go with the name and the info. You should have owned up to your identity at that seminar, I'm sure she just wanted to tell you thanks for all you contribute to our profession.

What I want to know is how do you get the cool T-shirt? (I already have a man with a motorcycle and beard.)

• I thought HR in Okla WAS a man! Guess that's what you get for posting no profile; another requirement for a T-Shirt. But, there are so many of them...
  • I'm definitely female, don't tell me you stereotyped me as a man, because of my intelligent responses!

Profile? Is there somewhere to do a profile? I think I probably wanted to remain anonymous so I could ask dumb questions and say tacky things about people I work with, without letting the local competitors know who I am. But for a T shirt, I might be willing. Actually, I've said so much about my place of employment, that anyone familiar with it would likely recognize it.

Thanks for the reply.
  • I guess I figured HR in Okla was a man, because I didn't know there were any women in Okla.

That's why I love this group! I learn something every day!

;)

• Obviously, you haven't watched the Miss America contest through the years. We've had numerous winners of the national title, definitely females. Our Ok. City HR Society chapter has many talented, attractive females too, as well as our share of intelligent guys.

I still need to know how to get a T shirt!
  • Our Ok. City HR Society chapter has many talented,
    >attractive females too,

So, uh, how many of them are single and where do I join the OK City chapter? x;-)

• Sorry, I don't have stats on marital status. Go to [url]www.OCHRS.org[/url] for info on joining the chapter. It helps it you live close enough to Okla. City to attend the meetings. Where do you live?
  • Ahem! The first step is to get your profile on line. It need not mention your last name or where you work; but, will be a reflection of how you feel about yourself at the moment. I think MS is the only state having had three Miss Americas but I could be wrong. Oklahoma is a wonderfully beautiful state and I too am glad to know it has women.
  • Sorry, Okla. has MS beat. I can think right off of Jayne Jayroe, Susan Powell, Shawntel Smith and I"m sure there is at least one other from years farther back. The three I remember for sure are all Okla. City University grads. When I get through researching HR questions, I'll research Miss Americas from Okla.
  • Leave it to the men to get distracted by Miss America!

The answer to your question is you can get a T-shirt if you will send a picture to James Sokolowski at M. Lee Smith Publishers (the people that sponsor this web site for us). James had the misfortune to take over managing this web site when we drove Christy Reeder from gainful employment. Somehow taking care of a newborn seemed simplier to her that trying to manage all of us! James has promised a T-shirt to anyone who sends in their picture. See the post call "Forum Speculations" for James' offer.

We look forward to seeing your picture. We needs some "girl" pictures. (Not "girlie" pictures for those of you with Miss America on the brain!)

Margaret Morford
    theHRedge
    615-371-8200
    [email]mmorford@mleesmith.com[/email]
    [url]http://www.thehredge.net[/url]
  • And NO, Parabeagle, the thong picture will not be appropriate!
  • Margaret, I confess. It wasn't the men who started it. When Don said he didn't know there were any women in Oklahoma, I pointed out our numerous winners of the Miss America contest. I just wanted him to know that HR in Okla. is definitely female. Thanks for the T-shirt info.