Employee Performance Appraisal

Recently I had an employee enter my office with a complaint on their performance appraisal. Apparently they do not agree with their supervisor and how they marked a task as both "achieves standard "and "needs improvement" and the comment explaining why it was marked as so. They continued to explain to me the situation that they feel led to this "needs improvement" and they feel that it was only one incident that led to this and they feel frustrated that the "needs improvement was even marked.
I guess my question is this. Even if the employee still does not agree with their appraisal and this mark, what should be done next? I informed the employee that they should use the comments section to explain themselves, but they stated that if they get no satifaction from their supervisor then they will be back in my office. What do I do then? Thank goodness it is almost Friday!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Great response (there is a space for employee coments)! This puts the ball back in their court. I do think that you should share the comments with the supervisor and suggest that they go over the reason for the NI again. Some employees are never happy and refuse to think they are anything other than perfect...keep that in mind!
  • Do you have an internal grievance procedure? This works well in a non-union environment. It provides a process for an employee to follow when they feel they are unfairly disciplined and/or received an unfair performance evaluation.
  • If a supervisor marks "needs improvement" is there a process in place to help the employee improve? For example, in our organization if a supervisor marks "needs improvement" on the performance appraisal, the supervisor develops an action plan and communicates this at the time of the evaluation. The action plan is part of the performance appraisal form and there is also a place for a date to follow-up. The supervisor is required to follow-up.
  • In our appraisal system, a supervisor must document all needs improvement or poor ratings, and the employee has a right to request a review. As HR Director I do the reviews, and if the low rating is not backed up by sufficient documentation it can be overturned. As a government agency, our annual merit increases are tied to the performance planning and review, and the review is built in to the state regulations on the process.