Application questions

I am in the process of updating our application. We would like to add a question asking whether or not the applicant is able to lift 50 pounds. What is the proper way to word this?

Thanks!

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have the physical requirements of the job listed on the job description and have the applicant read the job description. Our application then asks, "Are you able to peform the physical requriements of the job description?"
  • I would suggest taking it a step further and stating, "Are you able to perform the essential functions of this position with or without reasonable accommodation?"

I think that would be an acceptable question under the ADA and would cover all essential functions for all positions. Of course, in order for this to work, they would need to know what the essential functions are -- perhaps by copy of a job description or the job posting.
  • I don't think this question should be on the application in the first place. I am assuming that this app will be generic, for all positions in the company. Would you require an accounting clerk to be able to lift 50 pounds?

I would present the job description to the applicant and have them sign off on it. Jo's suggestion is perfect, "Are you able to peform the physical requriements of the job description?"

• Our application has this question “Do you believe that you are capable of performing the essential job functions of the job for which you are applying with or without accommodation?” Every applicant receives a copy of the job description with all essential job functions listed. This question was attorney written and recommended to be added to our application.