I made my own total comp statement

It seems like there is an occasional post about someone looking to put together information on a hidden paycheck, or total compensation report, or whatever you want to call them, (I'm trying to remember all the names so if anyone does a search, they can find this - if you think of any more names, reply and put them in) and there are usually a few responses about people who have used outside companies.

I looked into that, too, but thought it can't be that hard! So I sat down and made my own using Microsoft Word and Excel. It involves some planning out, data entry, formulas in Excel, and Mail Merge (which is not always for the faint of heart!). However, start to finish, it took me about three partial days, and I am a part-timer at 5 hours per day. Not a lot of time, although it was only about 70 employees.

If you are interested in getting this information, you can either post between now and June 30, 2006, or you can click on the icon above to send me an e-mail. I will put up a post next week in Har-de-har-har, but I have decided not to renew my subscription, so after that date I won't be on the forum much, and only as a lurker. My e-mail address is my home one, and I think you'll still be able to click on it after I'm gone. Forum mods, if this is not true, please let me know and I'll post in my Yahoo address or something.

I was surprised at some of the numbers I came up with for employees, but I have to admit I'm not sure it really made a difference to them. It was a cool project to do, though, and it gave me a lot of satisfaction to do it myself. I figured even if I outsourced, I'd still have to come up with what information it included, and prepare all the data that went into it, so there really wasn't that much left.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-17-06 AT 01:58PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I'd love to see what you came up with. My email should be activated so you can just click on the icon below my "name".

I don't think we'd ever be able to do it for all staff (around 650 and I have one assistant) but we are constantly educating our supervisors and managers on their total compensation. Many are stuck in the mindset that their base salary is what their position "pays".

In fact, they earn monthly incentives, deeply discounted childcare benefit (we are a childcare company), some free insurance benefits like STD, LTD and basic life, plus employer contribution toward 401k, voluntary insurance benefits, etc.

So, a supervisor whose base salary is $26,000 actually earns around $35,000 in compensation PLUS all the hidden stuff that doesn't land on their pay stubs.

Thanks for the offer to share! And I'm sorry you won't be posting any more...

• [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 06-28-06 AT 09:48PM (CST)[/font][br][br]I just sent it off! Hope it is useful for you.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the icons below the screen names, make sure you use the one at the far left to e-mail me as I won't be able to access private messages after the end of June, and I would hate for someone to think I was ignoring them! :>) (the one who already sent me a PM on this - you should have it, too!)

EDIT: Please use the e-mail icon on the far left of MY box. Poor HRQ has been getting a few e-mails, although she has graciously agreed to just pass the info along. It takes a little to get used to, I know.

Just in case it doesn't continue to work, you can e-mail me at [email]nettacow@yahoo.com[/email]. Please make sure the subject is Total Comp Statement or HR Hero or something like that because I get an awful lot of Nigerian bank account and European lottery e-mails, and I'd hate to mark somebody as spam by accident.
  • Yes please send me a copy of what you put together.

Thank you

[email]llerche@duperon.com[/email]

• I would love to see what you came up with. I did one last year but am not too impressed with it!

[email]dproven@casscoa.org[/email]