imaging systems/record retention

We would like to scan personnel, etc files into an imaging/scanning system and shred hard copies.
Does anyone know the law on this?
Also, does anyone know the retention length for Personnel files?
Thanks!

Comments

• 7 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We have personnel files archived dating from 1958... it's always been my understanding that at least the basic essentials are permanent.

We are also considering doing a document imaging system not only for personnel records, but also for our tenant and resident files, our accounting records, etc. It'll be a pretty intimidating process. Good luck! Oh, and I do not know what the law is on electronic storage, though I would think the courts could find it acceptable like they consider email official corporate communications, now...
  • Atrimble:

I have never heard of anyone having to keep them permanently. What industry are you in?

Constructionjill:

Last fall I went to a seminar on record retention to try to find out just this kind of thing. I had a book for hospitals that said 40 years, I had a book for the medical industry that said 30 years, and I heard somewhere that it was only 3 years after the employee has termed. Since I was so confused I signed up for the seminar, which in reality turned out to be a waste of time.

The seminar basically said it depends. Little bits and pieces of how long you have to keep this and that are in a multitude of laws that overlap each other. So you have to figure out which laws apply in your industry that might cause you to decide you better keep certain records, even if there is no law that tells you to specifically keep a certain record.

For instance, a medical center has to keep medical records 30 years, so they also keep personnel records so they can tie things together if anything happens. There isn't a law that says to keep the medical records, but it makes sense to when you consider the medical records laws.

We keep ours for 7 years, but that is mostly for convenience. Most of our records have to be kept for 7 years, so it is easier not to have to handle our personnel records differently.

I am sure if you do a search you will find more information on this subject on this site.

Good luck!

Nae
  • NaeNae, we're Government. Tenant data leaves the active files for the "dead" files when they stop participating in one of our programs, but the records stay in-house for another year. Then they move to our dungeon (archive), and sit there for another five years before destruction. Most of our finance stuff gets purged after seven years, but some of it has to be retained permanently, too (like grant administration stuff and payroll records). Since our personnel files also contain payroll information, we store them permanently. I'll tell you, it has been kind of difficult to read some of the fountain pen handwriting on decades old, bleached out yellowed paper! I'd much prefer to have all this in an electronic format (especially if you add in that our archive is the basement of a tenant building, right next to a garbage schute and the boiler room).
  • For federal purposes, it varies by law. We keep our files for seven years. There are some types of records that have to be kept longer, depending upon the industry (we are in banking). In addition, you will want to check your state laws which you can do by contacting your state DOL or visiting their website.

We have our personnel files imaged now. It is great. Our state laws allow us to use electronic records the same as an original.
  • We scan our personnel files and shred hard copies. It is great to be able to check a file on the computer vs. digging through a paper file.

• Sue2: What company do you use for imaging? We are a bank looking for a good, affordable, and most important easy system. Any help will be appreciated.
  • Hi Sue,
    We are a construction company and our system is named Construction Imaging Systems.
    I inquired if it was only tailored for construction companies and he said no, the internal 'guts' are made by EMC, who he said is one of the largest imaging systems in the world.
    He said you could go on line for more info.
    If you don't find what you're looking for, email me back and I'll track down more info.