Timesheets for Exempt Employees

I think I know the answer to this question, but can't find it written anywhere. Are exempt employees in Mississippi required to fill out timesheets by law? If so, must they show comp time on the time sheet when the comp time is earned and when it is used? Thanks.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • There is no requirement for an employer to keep time records for exempt employees. Most do not do so. If you are granting "comp" time to exempt employees, it makes good business sense to require accurate time records.
    Peyton Irby
    Editor, Mississippi Employment Law Letter
    Watkins Ludlam Winter & Stennis, P.A.
    (601) 949-4810
    [email]pirby@watkinsludlam.com[/email]
  • Thanks for your reply. That's exactly what I thought. However, we are trying to determine how to grant comp time to the executives. Do you have a sense of what other local companies/non-profits do? My thought is that anything over 40 should be available for the employee to take when possible, especially since non-profits do not get the highest rate of pay. However, my CEO would like to only allow anything over 60 hours to be availble for use. Do you know what the norm is? Thanks again.
  • Good grief your CEO doesn't want much does h/she? We offer comp time after 40 hours and they may accrue up to 35 hours as we work a 35 hour work week. They may use it any time with approval.