ADP V Ceridian

Greetings All. We are a retail organization with 260 EE. Currently we are using ADP and are unhappy with their level of service and knowledge. We can call and ask a question, then hang up and get another rep, ask them a question and the answer will be different. We were cold-called by Ceridian and after two meetings and a demo, are really impressed (its their web-based HR/Payroll), plus, cost is similar. Any reports on your experiences with Ceridian would me much appreciated! Additionally, any recommendations would be helpful too.
Thanks!

Comments

• 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We in-house our payroll, but we use Ceridian for Cobra management and are happy with them. I find them to be reliable and accurate and can count on the fact that the work is done the way it should be done.

Best wishes.
  • I use Ceridian for my HR/Payroll needs. My company has been with Ceridian since 2000. We are currently on their HR/Payroll Web product, we use their Time and Attendance product, and also their tax service.

I have not been impressed with their service in the last 12 months or so. My employee base has been shrinking and they have been unresponsive to a lot of my needs. You will find the same issues with customer service with Ceridian as you do with ADP. You can call multiple times on the exact same issue and get a different response each time. (Though I must say that if you are lucky enough to get a support person out of the Minneapolis, MN office, they know their stuff!)

On the positive side.......I love their products. They are very easy to use and placement of where they put certain fields makes a lot of sense to me. They have fantastic training. Not just on their products, but also on being better at payroll and hr related functions. You can do things online or in a classroom setting. They are about supporting an HR department in all ways.

• I use ADP in Canada and Ceridian in UK. I do not like ADP that much at all they make a lot of mistakes and the customer service is not that great.

When I started in UK with Ceridian they were great. Helped me out setting up the one person office, I had a representative that I spoke to just for my company. Now a few months ago they sent their services offshore and now I have an Indian agent I have to deal with that I have difficulty understanding and he has difficulty understanding me so I am very disappointed in this and have voiced my concerns to Ceridian, like it will do me any good.

I thought a few times about outsourcing my payroll in the U.S., but I find that doing it in house is the only way I can have the control and quality that I want for my employees.

Shirley
  • We ran into the same thing. When I first started here, payroll was done in-house. As we grew, it made sense to outsource and we choose ADP only to find ourselves disappointed with the service level about two years later.

So, we did more research and made the switch to Ceridian. What a nightmare! We switched back to ADP as soon as possible afterwards - think it was about 6 months.

We've been back with ADP for about 8 years now and only recently have we encountered problems again with service. However, we've contacted our Major Acct. rep who seems to have it sorted out.

ADP helped us out with a major payroll transition when we closed an out of state operation.

Ceridian purchased our TPA for our 401k and found that once again the service levels were poor. We switched to another provider about two years ago and are much happier.

• We have used ADP for last 15 years. I must agreed that their CS at times is weak. They have gotten us into deeper problems at times when we have called asking how to correct an error.
    Otherwise, we are very happy with their reports, quality and accuracy. My payroll administrator has figured out Report Smith and stream lined many reports.
  • I used ADP in my prior life and hated them every day. Product hard to use and didn't make good pratical sense. Nickeled and dimed us to death. We changed to Ceridian. I loved them and was on their "call for referral list".
    Well this stopped about 3 years ago. They have been going down hill fast in my opinion. I still love their product, and tax filing is great, but hate CS and no sales support. We haven't had an assigned sales person in probably 5 years. I have to get passed around each time I have a question. (We are on Source 500 and I can't even get a quote for the webb based product, which is very similar.) However, they do some "strange things" for us at no cost, so hard to switch.
    I have a LONG log of all the calls I have made and who I talked with and when regarding problems. I can't get a "reasonable" answer until I get to 2nd level. I get their email or phone and try to work with them directly since the first level CS has no idea what they are doing. I have a feeling they are seeking larger companies, but they tell me no. They do make the bucks off of us.
    E Wart
  • Coming into this thread late but have a comment. We had an in-house payroll for years and decided to change to get more efficient. Spoke with ADP, Ceridian and Paychex.

Went with Paychex as of March 2007. So far so good. Great hand holding and much, much cheaper. All the services are offered but more user friendly.
  • Now that it's been a couple of months, how are things going with Paychex, Ritaanz?

Are you using Preview?
  • Still great service. Lost our original rep due to illness, but the new one is working out just fine.

What's Preview?
  • That's the report writer for Paychex.
  • Oh, Report Writer, not yet. I have told the payroll person to make arrangements for the class but so far she has not. Do you use it?
  • Well, I try. It's the worst report writer I've ever used. We'll probably be dumping Paychex at the end of the year due to Preview issues. I have a list I have made, if you want to prep yourself for your class.
  • Surely, it cannot be worse than ADP's.

A list? I'd love to see it.
  • I have used ADP and Paychex and prefer ADP. I think the needs would help you decide the choice. Do you want reports, download right into GL, stuff like that. We presently do pr inhouse and I hate it. On top of all the other concerns I have to worry about tax deposits, quarterlies, w2's. It is never worth to have it in house.

• Hey Frank? Where's the list?
  • Sorry... I just emailed it to you.