Rewards for a select group of employees

This falls more under policy and practice than wage and hour.

We currently offer the standard 6 paid holidays per year to all employees. Our workforce consists of hourly production workers, hourly office staff and salaried office staff. The hourly and salaried office staff working hours are 8am - 5pm. We have 3 different shifts of hourly production work on the shop floor.

These hourly production workers have been putting in a lot of OT to meet deadlines and after New Year's, there are no scheduled breaks for them until May. The OT schedule is not likely to lighten up before then. We would like to give them a paid Friday off in March and call it Spring Break. This would involve over 80 employees.

The problem lies in what to do with the office staff, both hourly and salaried. There are about 20 in the office. They have contributed to these projects with deadlines, but nothing like the people who work so many hours and perform the physical labor. Is there a way we can close the factory and not the office without being discriminatory? We do this during December holidays when the plants close at noon but some office staff work later.

At this point, we aren't sure if this will be a one-time holiday or if it will become part of our permanent policy.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What you are considering would not violate any law. There is no discrimination issue involved. The only issue you might encounter is a morale issue. But, as you say, the exempt office staff gets paid sometimes when the production crew does not. I would give more thought, however, to the non-exempt office staff who might view this negatively. I would include them in the paid day off. And don't let accounting count the paid day off toward overtime.
  • Good point on the non-exempt office staff.

What's your experience with requiring exempts to make up paid time off?

An example: we give Jan. 1 as a paid holiday to everyone. If things are slow, we might also give them Jan. 2 as an unpaid day off but we don't (or perhaps can't)dock exempts for it.

It's not so good for the non-exempts who lose pay that way. Of course the exempts are all for it. I've heard of other companies requiring their exempts to work a Saturday to make up this time.

Thoughts?