Require an EE to take a lunch break?? Need to give other breaks?

First, we have general confusion as to the law regarding lunch breaks and other rest breaks during the day in the State of Colorado. What breaks are REQUIRED to be offered to a public sector EE, both by the FLSA and Colorado law?? Second, we have an EE who works through his lunch (eats while working) and then wants to leave work a half hour early every day. We believe we can require him to actually take a lunch break relieved from his job duties (unpaid, of course), and to stay at work through his regularly scheduled work hours. Can we REQUIRE this person to take his lunch break and work his regular hours??

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Colorado is one of those states that requires a lunch break of at least 30 minutes; the regs apply to particular indusries, but it does apply to governmental workers now, I believe. It does not apply to teachers. It's not clear from your post who your problem employee is.

But really, in almost all circumstances, if your organization wants to institute a requirement that everyone take a lunch break of 30 minutes off the clock, you can do so - and the employee's refusal to comply is a disciplinary issue. What you can't do is dock the employee's pay. In other words, if the employee works while eating lunch, even if it's in violation of your policy, your recourse is to pay for the work but discipline the employee in some other way.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Generally, barring your state law, you can require an employee to take a lunch period and work his normal hours. We have had issues with employees working through lunch (eating at their desk, mind you...they will not miss a meal) and getting paid for it which started to accrue overtime.

Some organizations have the clock take a mandatory 1/2 hour to 1 hour out of the employee's schedule. If they work thru lunch, they have to explain why there is an exception on their time. There are pros and cons to this.

It never ceases to amaze me employees that want to "create" their own work schedule whether it suits the needs of the department/organization or not.

• These messages are as I suspected and I appreciate the responses. Our situation is exactly as you described...an employee eating while allegedly "working". He is a building maintenance manager, so it seems like it would be difficult to maintain a property and eat at the same time, but he claims it can be done!

Have never heard of actually using a clock that automatically deducts a lunch hour...an interesting idea. In any event, I think we will begin requiring the employee to conform to the regular work hours established by his employer, and to substantiate any hours worked through lunch accordingly.