Processing Overtime Connecticut Department of Labor

I have the following question regarding Connecticut Law:

We have multiple locations. Some of our operations are in Connecticut. My question is:
Our Connecticut employees punch in and out for all their regular time during their 40 hour work week. They always get paid in full for their regular hours on the clock.

Because we are in the propane business our drivers are on call and work overtime. With regard to the overtime employees complete an overtime report. Federal regulations also require them to complete a drivers log that must accurately denote the drivers time. This is a required time record that we use to verify the drivers overtime report.

If we do not get fully complete and accurate drivers logs the company and it's officers are subject to fines and possible imprisonment.

If I do not get a log that is correct and complete in it's entirety I want to delay processing of the employees overtime only for the date that the log is defective. Can I legally delay paying the employee only the related overtime until the employee submits the proper time record (log)?

I want to make it very clear, the employee is not sacrificing any money. The employee will get paid for all hours worked. The only thing I want to do is delay only the overtime for the date of the defective log.

Can I delay payment of only the overtime related to the defective time record?
Where can I find the law that answers this question.

Comments

• 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Ct law requires that the employee be paid for all hours worked within 7 days of the end of the payroll period. If they record the time on their timecard you must pay them. If they are late submitting their logs, this is a performance issue and should be handled accordingly. You will find information regarding payment of wages on the CT Dol website under wage and hours.
  • CTHR is right. You can't delay paying the overtime if it has been reported to you.

But as I understand your question, the overtime is recorded on something other than the timeclock. Could you eliminate your problem by eliminating the overtime report and deriving the overtime from the driver's log? Then they'd have to file the driver's log in order to report the overtime to you.

Brad Forrister
    Director of Publishing
    M. Lee Smith Publishers

• Connecticut law is very strict on how time should be reported and what timecards should look like. All hours worked need to be reported on the timecard and paid no later than 7 days from the end of the payroll period. Time cards should show time in, time out for lunch, time back from lunch, and time out.