McCain's Health Plan Proposal

Has anyone had a chance to thoroughly check out McCain's health care proposal? Here are the details from his website:

[url]http://www.johnmccain.com/Informing/Issues/19ba2f1c-c03f-4ac2-8cd5-5cf2edb527cf.htm[/url]

My concern is that it could de-motivate employers from providing health care for their employees. Once those benefits are cut, they might not ever come back. I still need to look it over carefully but I was curious to see what others thought.

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Apparently the answer is "no".
  • I just read his plan and am wondering if you are concerned about the tax credit portion. I don't have much experience with benefits admin, but are you thinking that if workers receive a tax credit to purchase insurance, employers will not feel the obligation to provide it?
  • I think it would have an impact on the smallest of employers, but hopefully not sway the medium - large employers to reduce medical benefits. My concern is where is the money going to come from to support the plan? We are in debt up to our wazoo and our congress just keeps spending. Do we need a health care plan? Yes. But I think EVERYBODY should have to pay something (and McCain's plan seems to support that). I just heard a report this morning that the number of middle to upper class families without medical insurance has risen. We want our bigger houses, cars, and boats - not enough left over for insurance. I have a daughter with a life-long disease (not life threatening) who can't get insurance except on my group, then hopefully with a high risk state-wide group. She will be on my plan only 1 more year before age will force her off. Point is - we will still see that she has insurance - even though it will be more expensive. There is an option out there for insurance for everyone - nobody wants to pay for it. I am for a plan that will bring down the cost of insurance and make it accessible. But then when the companies are forced to take everyone, that will drive the cost up taking care of those with huge health problems - it's a catch 22. But we are taking care of them one way or another - with our taxes on the social programs and charity hospitals. We just have to find a sensible way to get everyone covered (and the doctors need to come down on their prices). Sorry, i'm on my soapbox this morning.