Massages covered under 125 Plan?

Does anyone know if massages are reimburseable under the section 125 Plan? The employee's doctor will prescribe massages for relief of anxiety. Thanks for your help!

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • from Pub. 502 at irs.gov

"Medical care expenses must be primarily to alleviate or prevent a physical or mental defect or illness. They do not include expenses that are merely beneficial to general health, such as vitamins or a vacation."

I would say yes- with a prescription- for a specified medical reason- I believe the out of pocket expense would be reimbursable. I've seen them reimburse for chiropractor visits in a migraine situation.

• I'm guessing you're asking whether massages are considered a qualified medical expense for some reimbursement plan like a flex-spending or cafeteria plan...

Services covered under the plan should be spelled out in your plan docs. I have never seen them covered unless they are performed at the doctor's office (as in a physical therapy or pain management setting). But definitely check your plan - you never know!