Non Profits and W.Comp Law in Florida

I am trying to find out about a new law (I think) under Florida Workers Compensation Regulations with regards specifically to non profit organizations, and someone mentioned the following Sub-Plan B for non profits. Does anyone know about this? I was told it was going into effect sometime in 2004.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Ana C
Florida Non Profit

Comments

• 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-13-03 AT 12:47PM (CST)[/font][p]Hi Ana, welcome. Last week I attended a seminar about the new changes in Florida Workers' Compensation Law which I understand become effective 10-1-03. I do not recall any thing in the overview related to changes for non-profits. One of the souvenirs (sp) from the training was our very own copy of the law in its entirety (Title XXXI (labor) Chapter 440 (Worker's Compensation) of Fl. statutes) If you can give me more specifics, I will try to look it up for you .
  • Sonny, thanks for the welcome, and for your response. Through the Florida Department of Insurance Website, under the Workers Compensation area, I was able to find the final order memo, dated yesterday, on the cost savings revisions to Ch. 440, Florida Statutes, contained in SB 50-A, which was approved and ordered, stating that there will be a premium decrease of 14% for all new and renewal policies effective October 1, 2003. That article is in the Sun Sentinel business section as well.

What I had heard was that there was some other additional benefit to non profit organizations in Florida, with regards to premium cuts, relating to a mod experience of 1 or less, but I am trying to find out more specific information from the original non profit source. If I do discover something new I will post it here.

Thanks for your help.

Ana

• Ana,
    Here is a reply to your question from Michael Adams of Tallahassee, who edits both our Florida Workers' Comp Reporter (monthly newsletter) and our national workers' comp newsletter, On Workers' Compensation. Here's a link to information about the Florida newsletter -- [url]www.hrhero.com/flwcr.shtml[/url] -- in case you're interested. Michael really knows his stuff. And here's his note:
    -------------------------------------------------
    The Florida Legislature enacted a reform bill earlier this year that included
    a specific provision to offer nonprofit organizations affordable coverage in
    the Florida Workers' Compensation Joint Underwriting Association (FWCJUA). The
    provision created a new subplan D that extends coverage to small businesses and
    nonprofit organizations that receive at least 50 percent of their income from
    either state or federal contracts or charitable endowments. The rates for nonprofits are set at 110 percent of approved manual rates, and the coverage is now available. Employers should note, however, that the policies are assessable and that there is a high probability that in addition to the regular premiums, a further assessment will be levied to cover losses in the subplan. For more
    information, contact the FWCJUA at (941) 378-7400.

Michael H. Adams
    Editor
    On Workers' Compensation
    Florida Workers' Compensation Reporter
    [email]onworkcomp@aol.com[/email]

• tkessler and Michael Adams:

Thank you so much for your assistance! My boss was thrilled that I was able to send him an answer to his question. I forwarded your reply to him, including the link to the workers compensation Florida newsletter, which I feel would be very beneficial for us here, since we provide training and employment law consulting to our local, nonprofit agencies.

Again, thank you so much for your prompt response.

Sincerely,

Ana Casey