FMLA Personnel Action Form-Where to File?

Our company generates a "Personnel Action" form for any employee-related action such as merit increases, request for leave, etc. that requires approval by the Department Director and/or CEO.

The form does not include medical diagnosis-only employee name, department,effective date, action and signatures. All other FMLA related information is filed in the confidential file.

My question is...should the FMLA related Personnel Action form be filed in the confidential medical file rather than the personnel file?

Any help will be appreciated!

Thank you.

Comments

• 2 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • We also use a personnel actions form, only we call it a status change notice. Whereas you indicate FMLA occurences on this form, we do not. Nor do we indicate vacation, sick leave or other approved absences on this form. I might question why you do complete a personnel actions form for FMLA. But, to your question; if nothing you put on the form constitutes medical documentation of any sort, I would file the form in the personnel file, along with all the others. I assume the purpose of your form is as it indicates, to track personnel actions such as status changes. Some other responders may have the opinion that mentioning FMLA anywhere in a personnel file will potentially expose that information to observers who have no need to know.
  • Why don't you indicate the employee is on LOA and not mention FMLA on the PAF. The FMLA paperwork in the medical file would always be available if necessary. That is what we do. Tks, Barbara