Impossible situation!

Forum folks, I am HR director for a small airline, owned by a larger entity. The Airline's president of twenty years has moved up to CEO of the parent group, and he has
appointed the DO to be president of the airline. During his tenure as DO, our new
president saw to it that his wife was hired as a manager of a department, and his
daughter was brought on board as a clerk. The wife has always been a problem:
she is defiant about most company policies, including loud and menacing
behavior toward others, foul language, and an inflated view of her position.
The daughter is an alcohol abuser who brings issues with boyfriend abuse and
trouble with the police into the workplace. The two play off each other: there is endless drama and counter-productive issues daily, and the President and CEO both have
chosen to overlook all the indiscretions and protect her, telling me that "every workplace has its bullies." Now, the rest of the staff (about 100) are up in arms, are tired of the drama and hostiliy and just plaincraziness, and have approached me about a class action of some kind. I'm at a loss. The airline at its inception was a family operation, and our policy about hiring family members states that as long as there is no direct report to
another family member, it's okay. But this is a mess. The new president deals
with his harpy wife by drinking himself into a stupor nightly and sending around
inappropriate emails. I've tried talking the wife into counseling to no avail.
I have nowhere to go with this -- does anyone out there have any solace to share?
I have an insurrection on my hands, and apparently no skills to handle it.

Comments

• 12 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Tracey,
    I have no words of wisdom for you. But here is a xhugs Sounds like a no win situation. Shall I keep you in my prayers?

The directors of our Bank are in a feud with the CEO - it is not pretty and I have been called upon to gather information. To whom should I be loyal? It is tough. Hang in there.
  • Wow... this reminds me of other "family owned" threads that have been posted. (note to self: never work at a family owned organization).

I am not sure there is much you can do if the higher ups are not interested in dealing with the problems. The "harpy wife" isnt going to change anytime soon. Its "working" for her.

I guess the only thing you can do is ask yourself "How badly do I need this job?" I'd also document everything. It could be helpful to show what steps you took and to protect yourself.

The only other option I can think of would be to contact Fox and see if they are looking for a new reality TV show. I'd watch.
  • Paul, you are cracking me up! I was going to suggest that reality show.

Seriously, HR can be very rewarding work, however, with the situation as you are describing it, I would run as fast as possible in the opposite direction from this company. It sounds totally disfunctional and frought with stress. You will be sick in the hospital trying to get this straightened out -- and these people will still be a total mess.

Sorry.
  • You stated your policy prohibits employing family with direct reporting lines. If the department managers report directly to the president, you might send a letter to the CEO of the parent company informing him of the discontent among the other workers and reminding him of the nepotism policy. If nothing else, you will have acted in the interest of the rest of the employees by pointing out the policy violation to the powers that be. Good luck!
  • Look for another job and point the powers to be in your current company to any of the thousands of web pages that address bullyism in the workplace. Then point them to any of the millions of web pages that discuss the entry of unions into nonunion work environments. Otherwise, shake the dust off your feet . . ..
  • I agree with others that it is time for you to seek new employment. As for the employees who want to file a class action, I would leave them my forwarding address, so they know how to contact me when they need me to testify.
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-24-08 AT 01:38PM (CST)[/font][br][br][font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 11-24-08 AT 01:36 PM (CST)[/font]

Joannie's suggestion is a great one - especially if you have the ability/credibility to be able to have an open, honest discussion with the CEO. If he already realizes that this situation is a handful, or if that can be demonstrated to him now, then the nepotism policy may be the perfect solution for him. It gets the job done, without his hands getting dirty.

Barring that... sometimes it is best to recognize you've got an untenable situation and move on. The only time I've ever faced a situation like yours, it was also due to an overabundance of family members in the workplace. Unfortunately, they were all siblings and all co-owners. Someone had to go, and it wasn't going to be them. :)

Gee whiz... my 1,000th post, and it was actually HR-related. Who would have believed it?
  • Hehe... I had 500 posts under a former moniker, and I was at that job twice as long. I must be four times as shiftless now!
  • Thanks to all who weighed in: I think you're right - it's time to retire before the empire
    strikes back...tb

• I just caught the last line of your original post, Tracey... Don't sell yourself short. This is the type of situation that's a whole lot easier to "armchair quarterback". Truth is, most of us have found ourselves in circumstances that made us doubt our abilities. Unfortunately for the bad guys, we just keep plugging along. Let's face it - we're in HR. We'd be lost without encountering a truly unique situation that would fray the spine of mere mortals at least once a month, minimum.
  • Thanks, Frank. Frankly (no pun intended), the economic climate of the state of Michigan
    is dire right now, and there are no jobs. Especially for me (62 years old). So everyone
    ducks and rolls when these people are on the loose. Even the wife's immediate
    supervisor gives her a "superior" rating on her evaluation so he doesn't have have to deal
    with insanity (his day to use the common testicle, if you know what I mean). I'm
    sad on lots of levels, because the airline itself is at risk. And all of us worked
    against all odds to get it through the 9/11/2001 debacle, and now this.
    Let this be a lesson to all HR departments: hiring family members can present
    insurmountable quagmires!!! We pray for domestic violence (just kidding???)

Thanks, all, for letting me vent. tb