Interview Question

Anyone have a good question to determine a candidates attention to detail?

Comments

• 5 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Depending on the position, we have asked...

How many times do you proof read your work before sending it or finalizing it?

Is it more important to be fast or accurate? (they must choose one but they can explain it)

If you need to get a letter out to a customer and just before you send it, you see an error...
    What do you do?

On a scale of 1- 100 - what level of accuracy is REALLY acceptable for this job?

That's my input, hope you find something you can use!!
  • I think it really depends on the position you are interviewing for. In some instances, you might get some insight by asking, "Let's pretend you were hiring an assistant for this position - what qualities would you feel were the most important?" People often want to work with people who are like them - they may be describing themselves when describing the assistant...

It's a shot in the dark, but this is a toughie!
  • Unfortunately, I usually don't have to ask.

Resumes with errors or irrelevant "Objective Statements", cover letters addressed to "Hiring Manager" but sent to my e-mail (which is obviously my name), introductory paragraphs in which the applicant tells me why he/she would be the perfect candidate for a different job at a different company... I usually see enough of these problems to make any "attention to detail" questions moot.
  • I think a work demonstration is the most effective way to evaluate this. Ask the candidates to write a letter, or proof read something (something similiar to what they would be required to do on the job). If you just ask the question, everyone is going to answer the same way, that - yes, they pay very close attention to details.