employee dress code is over the top

we have a new executive that dresses over the top. we thought we might have issues people not finding her approachable. while visiting some clients we can tell that people don't know how to take her and we are afraid that she will fail even before starting her new position with the company. she is in charge of sales training for reps and clients.

How do I tell this executive employee that she must tone her appearance down. her hair color is not natural , a lot of make up and jewelry, etc....

Thank you!

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • What does your policy say? Ours specifically addresses hair color ("must not be of an extreme nature") and points out that employees should dress conservatively.
  • it's not that specific at all. any suggestions?
  • Does it say anything like, "business appropriate" or "business casual?"

If you don't have specifics, I really don't think you have a leg to stand on. If she's coming off as unapproachable, then more than likely her performance will falter. Address performance issues as they arise, but I'd steer clear of telling her what she can and cannot do - you'd be singling her out.
  • I agree with NeedCoffee; however, I am curious. If her hair and manner of dress are over the top, why wasn't this addressed when the job offer was extended? Or better yet, why was the job offer extended if she didn't appear to fit in?
  • I am wondering the same thing. How did she dress during the interview process? If she dressed the same as she is doing now, then someone thought it wouldn't make a difference and she has every reason to expect her appearance is appropriate. Unless she starts wondering why she isn't doing very well, I would keep my mouth shut.

On the other hand, if she dressed appropriately during the interview process and things have now changed, I would have her supervisor have a little talk with her:

"You know, we want all of our employees to succeed, and to succeed spectacularly. We take the possibility of great success into consideration when we go through the interview process. In your particular position, we looked for X, Y and Z. You had all those credentials and your experience with ABC Company and John Doe Inc really helped. We also felt your conservative style of dress would help you go far with our particular clientele. I have noticed that your style of dress and makeup is somewhat different than when we went through the interview process. Your current style does meet our current policy, and I am not here to criticize you for it. You have every right to dress in your current mode. However, I just thought that I would point out that we strongly feel you will be more successful in a more conservative style. The choice, of course, is up to you. Either way I will be pulling for you to be the most successful _______ (sales rep, etc) we have ever had. If you have any questions or if there is any way I can help you succeed, please let me know. I am here to help."

I know someone who actually had this kind of conversation. The employee thought it over, and a few days later started dressing more conservatively. She was unhappy about it at first, but soon saw her sales grow and realized her boss was right.

Good luck!

Nae
  • You do not need a specific code or a specific statement to address an issue. In this case, have her manager talk to her about what is more appropriate dress. Your original post is lacking specifics so I don't know if you just don't like her hair color or if she simply needs to tone things down in general. If so, that's simply all her manager needs to say.
  • As other posters have asked, has she always dressed this way? Did she dress in this manner during the interview or orientation? Has her dress style suddenly changed?

It seems odd that you are worried about this now. Plus, you seem to be predicting future failure without any real evidence. Maybe she is just a bit eccentric.
  • To All-

Yes that was my concern during the interview process- her apperance. However my boss and the dept didn't feel that way and wanted to move foward with the offer anyway.
    Now they do think is a problem- I am taking care of the issue with the employee.
    I was afraid that this was going to happend. Oh well- I am taking care of this already.

• How are you taking care of it? Just curious.
  • I'm interested in her hair color!
  • Well, photos would be helpful. One persons "over the top" is another persons Sunday best. To some degree its a matter of taste and that is why I am interested to hear how the conversation went.

At one of my early jobs when I was 19 I found out I was called "the guy who wears his dad's suits". Most of my suits didnt fit. It wasnt because they were my dads though. I was just buying everything second hand and sometimes the fit wasnt very good. I thought I was pulling it off pretty well but apparently not...

• I ran head-long into the fact that one person's "over the top" is another's Sunday best some years back. I worked with a woman who thought her "most professional" outfit was a skin-tight pleather outfit....granted, it was technically a suit in that it had a skirt and a jacket, but believe me, with the jacket cut low (and not worn over a blouse) and the skirt so tight I don't even know how she was able to walk in it, and all worn with mile-high heels, the profession she was portraying had nothing to do with the office she actually worked in!
  • Interestingly, the individual discussed in the original post was an "executive". I am still curious to know how that conversation went but Aday isn't saying much.
  • I know...I'd love to understand how an executive was even hired with such an "over the top" style. We won't even hire entry-level positions if they show up for the interview with neon pink hair or some other ridiculously unnatural haircolor, which was one of the things mentioned.

• Maybe if we keep talking, Aday will come back...

• I'm wondering why Aday is the one stuck dealing with this. She is not the questionable-dresser's direct supervisor.

She should put the issue right back into the supervisor's lap and coach them on how to address it. Then flick the supervisor on the forehead while saying 'I told you so.' (As it appears that Aday DID tell them so after the first interview.)