Demotion without review

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-29-07 AT 11:52AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We have a situation where our Long Range Strategic Team (LRSPT) is discussing demoting a member of the management team. The problem, as I see it, is the team member has not been reviewed since he started in June 2006. Since our ISO policy is to review team members quarterly, I can't see how they can do this without creating a larger issue.

The LRSPT is a group of 5 top management including the CEO, CFO, Production Team Leader, Sales Team Leader and Service Team Leader. Their meetings are private and minutes are kept.

When the meeting minutes were distributed for this long range planning session, this plan was e-mailed to our Strategic Planning Team (SPT). This team consists of LRSPT members and managers, supervisors and peer trainers company wide. It was a mistake on the part of the company that assists in our planning, but none-the-less rather than 5 members receiving this plan, 25 team members have received the plan.

This is not a contract employement; it is at will.

How should I advise the LRSPT?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I had this happen where I work. Basically, the company can do anything they want; however, with a policy in place and the fact that you haven't reviewed this employee this year yet, it definitely makes your job harder. Has the EE been written up at all on performance issues in the past year? I would make sure that a review is done immediately that included documented performance issues and a timeframe to correct before I thought about a demotion. You are going to end up with a very disgruntled employee that can do a lot of damage is not handled properly. If you can show absolute, solid reasons for demoting him, then the medicine isn't going to be so hard to swallow. What's even worse, is that between 25 people, someone is going to tell him or word is going to get back to him. So, a timely review and action plan would be my plan. Good luck !
  • Do you agree that the employee needs to be pulled in right now? Performance issues have not been discussed nor has the employee ever been written up.

I have basically explained what you recommended so I feel I am leading them down the proper path. BTB, he is waiting to see me now...thanks.

Deep breath
  • Disappointed, but he is handling it very professionally. He approached me this morning and we will be having a discussion with his team leader...will fill you in as time goes on.
  • Granted, the reviews should have been completed on a timely basis. But... surely the Senior Managment on the LRSPT did not make this desision haphazardly. Do any of them have any documentation/notes, anything to show how and why they reached this decision? The ee in question may not be totally surprised by this.
    Good luck.
  • I haven't been presented with any, but the fact remains, we are a time sensitive employer and if we need corrective action we do not delay. I don't understand why this has never been addressed before...

If an EE's actions directly affect the customer, those are dealt with swiftly and appropriately.
    External survey results are utilized in performance appraisal for those customer sensitive positions. However, this ee is not affected by those survey results.

EE is somewhat calmed down now and expecting a performance review by his Strategic Leadership Team (SLT) manager. He is not settling in easily, but I have interviewed his manager and am moving from there.

Happy Monday everyone!!!
  • Is the employee a member of a protected class?
  • No, he is not. Somehow I believe that white males should be a protected class...there is so much pressure against them by all other "protected class" restrictions.
  • Is this a demotion for the person or is the position being restructured within your reporting pyramids?
  • Had this happen with a previous employer where a message was sent around about a meeting and my bosses name wasn't on the memo but rather my new bosses name. It was for a large employer and don't believe it was done intentionally.

Mistakes happen and if handled quickly and with an apology to the individual involved not for the action but for the way they found out, it can turn out okay.

Often people pay equal if not more attention to how management deals with the aftermath. In my case, how it was handled made me look for a new job.

People will look at how you handle this and how this individual's treated as it's easy to play the "insert my name here" instead of the individual to be demoted. You may find yourself with turnover you don't anticipate.
  • From all appearances, the LRSPT is covering their tracks by renaming the position.
  • DawnC
    That isn't going to change the fact of what they are trying to do and that the current incumbent is still being demoted just because of a name change to the job? If they are re-structuring, making it a "new" higher skilled or SIGNIFICANTLY different position with a new job description than that is different than just renaming the job. The job would have to be officially eliminated and your employee given time to adjust to whatever position you want to put him in. You didn't say if the demotion would also include a pay decrease. At that point, the incumbent would then have an opportunity to bid on a new job if you have a posting procedure in place. Sounds like the LRSPT (or someone else) has created a mess and wants to layer something over top of it to make it go away without fair treatment to this employee. What kind of message do you think it sends to other employees? You know they are watching.....
  • Msferra: Thanks for the vote of confidence. This is exactly what I was thinking...yes there would be a pay cut and the responsibilities would not be much different. They know who the culprit is that caused this mess and the LRSPT is now eating crow...Sometimes it is nice to see a group of grown men squirm...Although, I must say the CEO is a sharp and knowledgable man. I can't believe he would have gone along with this.

Everyone is walking on eggshells around this employee, which is a shame. He is holding his head high and keeping up or even excelling in his responsibilities. I doubt this demotion or job shift will happen now...
  • Well, good luck in any case. I've seen many, many a grown men squirm LOL :)