Casual Friday

I'm trying to convince my boss, the COO, the employees are not/would not be less productive should we adopt casual Friday. He contends that ee's are less productive when they dress casual. Doesn't Microsoft dress casual all the time? I tried to find some research that might disprove his theory, but I haven't had any luck. Any thoughts on where I might be able to find something?

Comments

• 14 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I found this one article/survey about Casual Fridays on the net. Maybe it will offer some insight.

[url]http://www.employeesurveys.com/policies/goodpol2.htm[/url]

• Ask yourself this question? Does this guy look less productive to you? I think its ACU Frank.

[url]http://lonestartimes.com/images/2006/10/casual-friday.jpg[/url]
  • We wear uniforms 4 out of 5 days. We have casual Fridays as well, and have had to send people home because of inappropriate attire. Not very often, I might add, but it has made a statement to everyone. If you have to think whether or not something is appropriate, err on the side of caution and don't wear it. (Too short, too tight, too low cut)
  • I have an idea -- why don't you use your COO as a guinea pig? Ask him to dress casual on the next couple of Fridays and see if his work ethic changes or the amount of work he has to do doesn't get finished. If he balks, he is stalling and doesn't really have a good reason.

We dress business casual on Fridays because we wear suits and are dressed to the nines the rest of the week. We look forward to Fridays and it doesn't make a bit of difference to our workloads. We are in a service industry that deals with the general public all the time. It's a nice perk and we haven't had any violations of what business casual means. Good luck !!!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-27-07 AT 07:59AM (CST)[/font][br][br]We were business casual Mon-Thurs and Casual on Friday. Denim was only allowd on Casual Friday.

About 4 yrs ago we had a heat wave come through much like the one this year and our SR.Mgmt was roasting in their attire, so they relaxed our policy ONLY for the summer. It was amazing, they discovered as much work got done if not more because less time was spent primping in the ladies room, employee morale was high and our business didn't drop, so now we are casual everyday.

The first year or so emails would go out advising employees when special visitors would be here. We would revert back to our old policy for the day to make a great impression. Now we don't even get emails. Our business has expanded each year and profits could't be better. If you Walk the Walk and Talk the Talk, Dress policies don't matter.
  • I'd still caution that "image is important" and human beings tend to make initial judgement calls about people and organizations based on appearance.

If I walked into a bank, for example, and the employees were overly casual in their dress or even sloppy, it would concern me.

The other problem is that what is considered "casual dress" in our society today includes clothes that no one would have stepped outside in a few decades ago.

Hip hugger pants,tight stretchy blouses made of about one square inch of fabric, etc.. Alot of what we wear today would have been considered underwear years ago.

• Here's what I just can't understand: when an employee shows up in hip huggers, tube tops, spaghetti straps, or whatever, managers complain about the inappropriate dress and do away with casual. Why don't they enforce the casual dress policy, send the employee home and ask them to put on something more suitable for the office. Don't you think you would have fewer of these issues if you made an example out of the abusers?
  • You are so right! I had one employee who kept pushing the limit. Every few months I would have to tell her not to wear that item again, and she wouldn't, but she would come up with some other combo. Finally about 2 years ago I told her one day that she needed to go home and change. Her hubby brought her some clothes and it hasn't come up again.

Nae
  • Our boss is a stickler about Casual Dress as well. We have opted this year to allow Casual Fridays but with one stipulation.. in order to dress casual you must donate $2. This money is being collected and will benefit St. Jude's Children's Hospital. We all agreed everyone wins! Just an idea.
  • That is a good idea. We started with employees donating $1 to dress-down and did it once a month. We had a different charity every month though.

It gradually introduced casual dress into the corporate culture. After a couple of years we moved it to every Friday and shortly thereafter dropped the donation part. It has really worked well for us.
  • We have a very specific business casual Friday, with no jeans, sneakers, flip flops, sweat suits, etc. It was very well received. We have had a few problems and I recomend you deal with those directly---not by sending a "memo to all" when only one or two have a problem. Folks were told up front that if you show up in jeans, you will be sent home and made to utilize your own leave time until you return to work dressed appropriately
  • We started off as business attire then moved to corporate casual now are casual 99% of the time. Our business has grown and stock price has risen.

In our handbook, we have "jeans are good!" as it's an incentive for our team to meet our sales goals each week. If your COO is looking for an incentive, this is a good no-cost one. We only missed one weekly sales target in over 2 1/2 years.

We started out with casual Fridays only and would use it as others have mentioned for charitable donations.

Good advice too on dealing with the offenders on a case by case basis which is what we do rather than punishing everyone. It definitely wouldn't go over well here if we changed back to business attire.

Can appreciate that it may not work well in all settings. It works for us as almost all of our customer contact is through the internet or phone calls.

• I wish we could do that. However, we are the NJ Dept. of the Treasury and paid by the taxpayers who we frequently have to deal with face to face and therefore require anyone who may face a customer to dress the part.
  • In support of the article provided by 'allsteaks', I can confirm empirically that casual Friday is a significant morale booster in our firm. Many of our staff actually think of it as one of their benefits and all new hires are quite pleased when informed we have this policy. They mention how much easier it is to start the day when dressing casually. Maybe coming in the door with less stress already?