Professional Dress Training

Does anyone know where I can find a DVD training video for what is considered "professional dress"?

Comments

• 18 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I read your post and thought, how sad. Now we have to teach people what to wear when they come to work. Wish I could help you but I have no suggestions. Have you tried your state banking association or group?
  • Now that you've asked for it, MLS should have one published by the end of the week..... just kidding, we don't have anything either.

• A couple videos you might want to preview:

Employee 101 - I haven't seen this video personally but it was recommended to me by my representative at Media Partners who provide our training videos. It address professional dress among other basic orientation topics.

Start Right, Stay Right - I have this video and love it. It does very briefly discuss dressing appropriately for the workplace. It also covers taking responsibility, communication, and a myriad of other essential topics for new employees.

Start Right, Stay Right is one of the nicest looking, most professionally produced videos I have found as well. No big 80s hair or acid wash jeans.

Check out [url]www.media-partners.com[/url] and ask for Karen. By the way, Karen is going to check and see if she can dig up any other videos that cover professional dress more specifically.
  • Thank you!

I too find it extremely sad that people don't understand what "professional" means. We are currently under construction, so the areas that are affected have been allowed to dress more casually. It has filtered down to almost every other department to the point that we have flip flops, cotton pull-on casual pants, and cotton blouses that look like they've never been ironed. We are a bank...would you want to give your money to someone who looked like they were ready to go to the beach?!
  • We too are a bank. We allow a Business Casual from Memorial Day through Labor Day. The biggest difference is the men don't have to wear ties, and golf/polo shirts are acceptable for men and women. After Labor Day we return to Professional Dress. I am in the process of including the Professional Dress code in our weekly newsletter that will come out early next week. With our guys it is farily simple to address, but for our ladies, it becomes more and more difficult each year as to just what is acceptable for Professional Dress. According to my better half it is very difficult to even find what she considers to be Professional dress in the stores these days.
    Good luck...
  • Didn't Q do a video on how to motivate EEs into wearing proper footwear? Something about a bebop on the head? I think ritaanz may have a copy.
  • Here's some motivation to elimiate open toed shoes in your environment;

Staff member was wearing open toed sandals.

Staff member decided to move a wooden block shelf to another area.

Block shelf is very heavy. It's a wooden shelf that is used to store children's wooden blocks. The big blocks that look like they are made out of 2X4's.

Fully loaded block shelf tipped over and landed on staff member's big toe.

[i][b]Staff member's big toe was squashed like a grape.[/b][/i]

I chose not to bop her on the head, as she was already in plenty of pain, AND her beautiful pedicures will never look the same on that foot. She missed quite a bit of time, had to wear a big black boot for several months, and had several surgeries.

This staff member was not a stupid person, but she sure wore stupid shoes while she was doing a stupid thing.

I don't name names, but I do use that example a lot when making my point about footwear.

• We took another approach. We had our local DIllard's (nice department store) put on two fashion demonstrations, one for women, one for men. We used employees to model both bad attire (unfortunately this was easy) and appropriate clothes from the store. The store provided giveaways, discount coupons, etc. it took about 90 minutes, mostly the lunch hour. The sessions were fun, well received and our overall "look" has improved.
  • I know you are looking for Professional Dress, but you mentioned that you are "under construction". Levis Strauss has a very nice video on "business casual" which shows how to wear Dockers etc to look nice yet be casual. They sent us their video for free some years back when we had a similar issue with casual becoming the "wash the car" look.
  • We are moving into our remodeled section next week. There is no reason for the casual atmosphere to extend beyond that. I will look into the Dockers video to see if they have something that would be appropriate for professional dress also.

Thanks!
  • [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 08-16-07 AT 11:48AM (CST)[/font][br][br]Toto in KS: I don't want to talk about it.
  • ritaanz
    I can't find the sad puppydog eyes icon but I'm sorry if it brought up bad memories. I thought my comment was kinda cute but forgot that with the injury it was a little more serious.
    I also noticed you edited your post before I saw it, having just gotten on line so wasn't sure if there were any "bad dog" comments.

I will try to be better trained in the future.
    :-S Toto
  • It's not the injury, it's the results. With the IT Mgr. out on comp, we have a contract worker here on call. The machines are purring and the employeees are smiling . Their computers are working just fine.

The discovery that our IT person is a jerk is depressing.

The edit: I was going to tell ya to stay in your bicycle basket. x:D
  • Speaking of dress, how do you all as HR HEROES dress?

Our organization (beach resort setting) is very casual. Ridiculously casual. Its also part of the whole Pacific Northwest mentality ("Honey, wear your nice fleece vest tonight. Its a formal dinner.")

My typical dress was jeans or dockers and a polo shirt. A couple years ago, I decided to step it up a notch and started wearing button down shirts and slacks.

I still go casual from time to time (I am wearing shorts and a polo shirt at the moment) but overall I have pushed my personal dress code to the formal end of our spectrum. My reasoning was to reinforce respect for the HR position.

I think its been helpful. How you look affects how people react to you (and how you act as well). It also helps to set a good example if part of your job is dealing with dress codes.

So, how do you all dress? Do you make any special effort to be seen in a particular way?
  • We are a bank -- we have two choices, suits or our corporate logowear with docker-style pants. No denim, no open-toed shoes, no bare legs. I wear the logowear a lot, but a suit occasionally depending on what is going one.

How about the rest of you?
  • Today? Logo'd t-shirt, yoga pants and tennies. We are setting up for tomorrow's teacher training, and set up involves lots of lifting and other physical activity.

Normally I dress slightly more formally than the others but we are still somewhat casual. I feel like I should set the example: dress pants or skirts, dress tops, heeled sandals or pumps or boots.

No visible tattoos or body/facial piercings. x;-)

The norm in the office is capris or pants, sandals, "nice" t-shirts, sleeveless tops. Fridays are usually jeans or similarly casual clothes.

The men wear khakis and golf shirts or dress shirts with no tie.
  • I take my cue from my boss (CEO). She dresses 'business casual.' On Fridays we do dress down day so everyone can wear jeans. She never wears a t-shirt on those days, so neither do I. My slacks tend to be a little more casual than hers, but she seldom wears skirts or dresses unless she is in an important outside meeting.

We like the casual atmosphere, but if we are expecting guests she always sends out an email letting us all know and requesting that we make sure our dress that day is appropriate. She doesn't ask them to do more than the dress code, but we used to have an employee who wore her husband's shirts (he was much larger than her) right out of a laundry basket so the notice helps us avoid those kinds of mistakes. On the visitor days a few will dress up more, but not everyone.

Nae

• During the summer months, I usually wear a short sleeve or sleeveless knit top with slacks. We have an employee or 2 who think spaghetti strap tank tops are appropriate busienss casual attire.